Which type of communication do you respond best?
Thread poster: Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:31
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 22, 2017

From letter writing to texting, the spectrum of communications can accommodate our tastes and preferences. But setting aside time constraints, what is your preferred type of communication to receive?

Mine are, in order of preference:

1) A handwritten note or letter
2) A phone call from a loved one, a friend or an acquaintance
3) A text message telling me there's an upcoming letter or phone call
4) An email with the same as (3) above
5) A twitter
... See more
From letter writing to texting, the spectrum of communications can accommodate our tastes and preferences. But setting aside time constraints, what is your preferred type of communication to receive?

Mine are, in order of preference:

1) A handwritten note or letter
2) A phone call from a loved one, a friend or an acquaintance
3) A text message telling me there's an upcoming letter or phone call
4) An email with the same as (3) above
5) A twitter DM (direct message) or Whatsapp DM

How about you?
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:31
Member (2008)
Italian to English
I respond Aug 22, 2017

I respond best to communications what is written good. Don't matter the vehicle.

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 08:31
Italian to English
Carrier pigeons Aug 22, 2017

I love when someone cares enough to send a carrier pigeon... their little face when they tap tap tap on my window with their beak, their soothing cooing, the little footprints they leave in the snow in winter. Minimal carbon footprint too.

If no feathered helper is available, a telegram will do. Or smoke signals if all else fails.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 08:31
Spanish to English
+ ...
E-mail Aug 23, 2017

Handwritten missives are all very well and good, however the post does not get delivered to where I live, so I need to use a PO Box, which is still in the city, a forty minute drive away. I suppose I should change it to my local branch, which is only ten minutes away, but for now it gives me an excuse to go "back to civilisation" from time to time.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Tut tut Aug 23, 2017

I too definitely respond best grammatically correct communication.

I actually wanted to say I don't respond grammatically incorrect communication, but that would have opened up a vortex of contradication and irony which might well have sucked up and destroyed the entire planet, so I didn't.

I do have to say, though, that I love the occasional DM from people on here slagging off other people on here.

Lol @ carrier pigeons tap-tap-tapping btw.

Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
Email and phone Aug 23, 2017

I prefer email for work-related correspondence, so that I have the opportunity to consider the offer or whatever it is before replying.

For family communication, I prefer phone calls. It was lovely, years ago, when we used to write letters, but the days of Basildon Bond writing pads and matching envelopes are long gone for me.

Inga Petkelyte
Inga Petkelyte  Identity Verified
Portugal
Lithuanian to Portuguese
+ ...
Personal vs. professional Aug 23, 2017

Personal: face-to-face
Professional: email

Mario Chavez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Carrier pigeons Aug 23, 2017

Fiona Grace Peterson wrote:

I love when someone cares enough to send a carrier pigeon... their little face when they tap tap tap on my window with their beak, their soothing cooing, the little footprints they leave in the snow in winter. Minimal carbon footprint too.

If no feathered helper is available, a telegram will do. Or smoke signals if all else fails.

Jokes aside, I once saw a Top Gear episode (2004, I think) where they ran a competition between a Ford SportKa and a carrier pigeon, both valued at 11,000 pounds. I had no idea pigeons could be that expensive.

Mario Chavez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Back to civilisation Aug 23, 2017

neilmac wrote:

Handwritten missives are all very well and good, however the post does not get delivered to where I live, so I need to use a PO Box, which is still in the city, a forty minute drive away. I suppose I should change it to my local branch, which is only ten minutes away, but for now it gives me an excuse to go "back to civilisation" from time to time.

Let me guess, you live in a cave wired for Internet?

Mario Chavez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Writing pads Aug 23, 2017

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:

I prefer email for work-related correspondence, so that I have the opportunity to consider the offer or whatever it is before replying.

For family communication, I prefer phone calls. It was lovely, years ago, when we used to write letters, but the days of Basildon Bond writing pads and matching envelopes are long gone for me.

Matching envelopes? That's where I draw the line. I've been using yellow notepad sheets for my correspondence lately.

Mario Chavez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Irish humor? Aug 23, 2017

Tom in London wrote:

I respond best to communications what is written good. Don't matter the vehicle.

Was that an attempt at Irish humor? Better write it in Irish then.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which type of communication do you respond best?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »