Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Announcing new reference documents for CafeTran Espresso
Thread poster: Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Nov 17, 2017

As an active CafeTran Espresso translator, I’ve decided to curate some resources that could prove useful to fellow users of this excellent CAT tool.

The documents aim to serve as a reference and empower both new and more experienced CafeTran Espresso users, in combination with other C
... See more
As an active CafeTran Espresso translator, I’ve decided to curate some resources that could prove useful to fellow users of this excellent CAT tool.

The documents aim to serve as a reference and empower both new and more experienced CafeTran Espresso users, in combination with other CafeTran resources, such as the Knowledge Base (Solutions) and the Forum.

They will be expanded and complemented in time with some more personal documents on CafeTran’s usage.

To ensure maximum usefulness over time, keeping the reference documents accurate and up-to-date is the real challenge, heightened by CafeTran’s very active development. The documents will be updated roughly once every month.

CLASSEUR.IO

The files are hosted at classeur.io - an excellent online markdown editor.

Read the docs on a browser, adjust the view, search, copy them in easy markdown format, jump to the relevant section via the included Table Of Contents, export to PDF or other file formats (I suggest styled HTML - PDF), etc.

With the following link, you can access all published files in one folder: http://xl8.link/ct-docs

THE DOCS

CafeTran Espresso - ChangeLog conveniently gathers in one place all changes announced in CafeTran News for CT updates and additional builds.

CafeTran Espresso - Preferences offers a tour of CafeTran’s Preferences. It also provides some additional usage information, and link help tips to the Keyboard shortcut section, so that you can easily discover what each keyboard shortcut does and to which menu they refer.

CafeTran Espresso - Menu and Interface provides an alternative way to explore CafeTran menus and various interface elements, mostly relying on visuals and help tips that are built-in into CafeTran.

CafeTran Espresso - TM options : Due to their importance, Translation Memory options have been added in a separate document.

The links can also be found in a separate custom tab on my ProZ profile.

May they serve you well!

Jean

[Edited at 2017-11-17 09:32 GMT]
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
A BIG thank you! Nov 17, 2017

Thank you very much for investing your time in this great documentation project! I'm sure that we will all benefit from it.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:54
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Thanks! Nov 17, 2017

Cool, thanks Jean, looks interesting, even for old hands like moi.

Michael

Valentina LG
Valentina LG  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2015)
English to Spanish
+ ...
WOW! Nov 17, 2017

Thank you, Jean! Your contribution fills a huge gap in my CafeTran experience. I am an enthusiastic CT user, but I am unfortunately too lazy to navigate through the current documentation, so I never seem to make any progress. Hopefully, I will now be able to approach it a bit more systematically. I'll let you know!

[Edited at 2017-11-17 19:49 GMT]

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Hans’ old CafeTran wiki Nov 17, 2017

Valentina LG wrote:

Thank you, Jean! Your contribution fills a huge gap in my CafeTran experience. I am an enthusiastic CT user, but I am unfortunately too lazy to navigate through the current documentation, so I never seem to make any progress. Hopefully, I will now be able to approach it a bit more systematically. I'll let you know!

[Edited at 2017-11-17 19:49 GMT]

In case you missed, it, Hans’ old CafeTran wiki is also still available @ http://beijer.uk/cafetran-old-wiki/cafetran.wikidot.com/index.html (not as systematic, but full of great stuff)

Jean Dimitriadis
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
New reference document: CafeTran Espresso - File formats Nov 30, 2017

Hello,

Today, I’m sharing a new reference document called: “CafeTran Espresso - File formats”.

This file aims to cover natively supported file formats in CafeTran, provide compatibility information on external bilingual projects (files and packages) and discuss solutions to handle not yet supported file types.

Some highlights include:

- An image in “File formats overview” to view
... See more
Hello,

Today, I’m sharing a new reference document called: “CafeTran Espresso - File formats”.

This file aims to cover natively supported file formats in CafeTran, provide compatibility information on external bilingual projects (files and packages) and discuss solutions to handle not yet supported file types.

Some highlights include:

- An image in “File formats overview” to view all supported formats in one glance.
- Some General notes on external bilingual XLIFF files, which gather in one place the differences between “Translate external project” workflow and the “Translate document” workflow. Information on additional limitations or segment status mapping is displayed separately for each external tool.
- The Unsupported formats section features a rich discussion regarding the PDF format, among other file types.
- An excellent Solution for dealing with a host of yet unsupported file formats via an easy round trip through MateCat is explained in detail, be sure to check it out! MateCat builds partly upon Okapi Framework filters and probably represents the easiest way to use these filters.

All other documents have been updated for CafeTran Espresso 2018 Forerunner, with CafeTran Espresso - Menu and Interface having additional explanations on several context menus and dialogs.

Enjoy!

Jean

[Edited at 2017-11-30 19:14 GMT]
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Dead link Dec 1, 2017

Hi Jean,

Just wanted to let you know that the link to “CafeTran Espresso - File formats” is dead.

Hans

Jean Dimitriadis
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Link fixed Dec 1, 2017

Hi Hans,

Thanks for letting me now, it's fixed now.

Jean

Jean Dimitriadis
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
New home for the reference documents (TheCafeTranFiles) Feb 25, 2018

Since classeur.io will be closing in May 2018, I have migrated my files to GitHub. They are now called TheCafeTranFiles and can be found here: https://github.com/idimitriadis0/TheCafeTranFiles/wiki

I have added a Table of Contents on the top of each file, to make navigation easier.

Users can report issues/su
... See more
Since classeur.io will be closing in May 2018, I have migrated my files to GitHub. They are now called TheCafeTranFiles and can be found here: https://github.com/idimitriadis0/TheCafeTranFiles/wiki

I have added a Table of Contents on the top of each file, to make navigation easier.

Users can report issues/suggest edits here: https://github.com/idimitriadis0/TheCafeTranFiles/issues (only related to the reference documents, not intended for CafeTran support) or just send me a ProZ message.

Anyone wishing to collaborate and get editing rights to the wiki (you only need to create a GitHub account and write in Markdown, no coding or Git knowledge required) is welcome to contact me through my ProZ profile.

In the future, or if this solution is not deemed practical, I may consider creating a WordPress website since I already have a hosting plan.

Feedback is welcome.

Jean

[Modifié le 2018-02-25 11:29 GMT]
Collapse

Jean Dimitriadis
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Latest additions Mar 17, 2018

Hello,

Two reference documents have been added to the already existing ones (which have seen a few updates as well):

- Project templates - How to conveniently store a variety of settings in a CafeTran template file for easy reuse in new
... See more
Hello,

Two reference documents have been added to the already existing ones (which have seen a few updates as well):

- Project templates - How to conveniently store a variety of settings in a CafeTran template file for easy reuse in new projects.

- Getting comfortable - A document targeted at beginners, to help them adjust the software to their liking and needs.

Jean
Collapse

Jean Dimitriadis
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Updated for CafeTran Espresso 2018 Update 10 Jun 22, 2018

The Reference documents (aka TheCafeTranFiles) receive regular updates every two or three months, except for the ChangeLog, which follows each update announcement.

The files have now been updated for CafeTran Espresso 2018 - Akua Update 10. New PDFs have been uploaded as well.

In the meantime, the developer has added new
... See more
The Reference documents (aka TheCafeTranFiles) receive regular updates every two or three months, except for the ChangeLog, which follows each update announcement.

The files have now been updated for CafeTran Espresso 2018 - Akua Update 10. New PDFs have been uploaded as well.

In the meantime, the developer has added new articles in the official Knowledge base (Solutions) and has also updated many existing ones. Be sure to check this resource as well.

Jean

[Edited at 2018-06-22 11:09 GMT]
Collapse

Jean Dimitriadis
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Updated for CafeTran Espresso 2018 Update 11 Aug 30, 2018

The Reference documents (aka TheCafeTranFiles) have been updated for CafeTran Espresso 2018 - Akua Update 11 build 2018082501. New PDFs have been uploaded as well.

Jean

Jean Dimitriadis
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Updated for CafeTran Espresso 2019 Forerunner Nov 13, 2018

The Reference documents (aka TheCafeTranFiles) have been updated for CafeTran Espresso 2019 - Forerunner build 2018110802. New PDFs have been uploaded as well.

Jean

Kyledan (X)
Kyledan (X)
Spain
Wonder!! Nov 22, 2018

Hello! A wonderful thing is this, thank you very much for this contribution.

Jean Dimitriadis
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Updated for CafeTran Espresso 2019 - Croissant 10.0 Jan 21, 2019

The Reference documents have been updated for CafeTran Espresso 2019 - Croissant 10.0 (20190117). New PDFs have been uploaded as well.

As a reminder, the official Knowledge Base can be found here: https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/solutions

Hans Lenting

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Announcing new reference documents for CafeTran Espresso

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »