CafeTran just got a little more mainstream: editing directly in the translation grid
Thread poster: Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
May 21, 2018

From: https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/discussions/topics/6000054281

The frequently-requested layout that integrates editors and the grid - see View > Window Layout > Layout 6 Compact. Although it is recommended for reviewing your translations, some translators might wish to use it for translating too, as it is a popular layout in other tools.

CafeTran's incarnation of the grid-embedded editors looks like this:

All the important icons are directly above (or below) the editors. They can be hidden (for less distraction):

A nice feature is that you can scroll through the segments before (above) and after (below) the currently edited segment:

Or, if you prefer a dark theme:

On Windows:

Screen Shot 2018-05-21 at 21.34.19

Here is a configuration with the segment editors aligned vertically:

With some terms from the glossary recognised:

Screen Shot 2018-05-21 at 21.45.16

[Edited at 2018-05-21 19:46 GMT]

Nicolas Bianchi
Nicolas Bianchi  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 13:18
English to French
+ ...
Good move! May 31, 2018

Thanks for the quick reply and the many screenshots.

I followed the link to the freshdesk in the meantime and found the latest version.

That’s a big step and will satisfy many, including me.

Actually, I don’t see the lower part on my Mac (my active segment is indeed in the middle of the screen, but it’s the last one, and underneath I get a Context Match).
It might be either the fact that I opened a test project created in a previous version, or
... See more
Thanks for the quick reply and the many screenshots.

I followed the link to the freshdesk in the meantime and found the latest version.

That’s a big step and will satisfy many, including me.

Actually, I don’t see the lower part on my Mac (my active segment is indeed in the middle of the screen, but it’s the last one, and underneath I get a Context Match).
It might be either the fact that I opened a test project created in a previous version, or that I need to learn CT’s the tweaks.
(Last time I used CT was about 6 months ago... I definitely need to dive deeper into it again.)

Am hoping to get excited about it again.

Looking at the Windows screenshots, it appears that the height of the editing pane is a lot smaller. Is this so? (I don’t see the formatting options, therefore the doubts.)
Does it adjust automatically to the length of the segment?
On macOS, it’s still quite big (means: working when without external screen, on the move, there would still be some space wasted.

Edit: scrolling before and after is very clever!

Edit 2:
I created a new project and can adjust the size of the pane: cool! In the compact version, the matchboard looks messy unless one shortens match informations and hides Terms and Fragments imo, which is all good for me.

[Edited at 2018-05-31 05:53 GMT]

[Edited at 2018-05-31 05:54 GMT]
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Beautiful on Mac May 31, 2018

Nicolas Bianchi wrote:

Looking at the Windows screenshots, it appears that the height of the editing pane is a lot smaller. Is this so? (I don’t see the formatting options, therefore the doubts.)
Does it adjust automatically to the length of the segment?

No it doesn't (yet). But you can reduce its height by clicking on the lower horizontal border line and drag it up.

Note that in order to have segments displayed below the centred segment editors, you'll have to have a segment that ... contains enough segments.

I hope that the developer finds a way to make the toolbars auto-hiding and to have the segment number and status displayed directly in the centred segment editors.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CafeTran just got a little more mainstream: editing directly in the translation grid

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »