Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >
How can one maintain one's health to live and work as translator until 70?
Thread poster: Trinh Do
Vladimir Nadj
Vladimir Nadj  Identity Verified
Serbia
Local time: 15:01
English to Serbian
c60 study Apr 17, 2014

Yup, buckey-balls show much promise in numerous applications, including rocket fuels and life extension. Granted, it is only one study, and one which aim was toxicity testing, not longevity; but if it worked on mice, it will probably work on us too.

Here's the link to the study.
http://www.owndoc.com/pdf/C60-Fullerene.pdf

Think of it, a lion's share of our curr
... See more
Yup, buckey-balls show much promise in numerous applications, including rocket fuels and life extension. Granted, it is only one study, and one which aim was toxicity testing, not longevity; but if it worked on mice, it will probably work on us too.

Here's the link to the study.
http://www.owndoc.com/pdf/C60-Fullerene.pdf

Think of it, a lion's share of our current knowledge rests on the benzene molecule. What will be accomplished using as a basis something that is much more complex than that?
Collapse

Suzan Hamer
Suzan Hamer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English
+ ...
Reminds me of what Isaac Asimov said: Apr 17, 2014

Trinh Do wrote:

I am simply aiming for good quality of life, not longevity. I know that even if C60 works to extend life, but if you're living in pain, or have cancer, migraine, epilepsy, etc., is it worth while? I would only try it when I have no serious medical condition.

"If you had three wishes, what would they be?
'1. Not to survive my intelligence; in other words, to be able to write effectively
and thoughtfully for as long as I live—however long that may be.
2. To cause no sorrow when I leave this life; in other words, to have all those
who both love me and survive me to be so glad that I have lived
effectively and happily that they will feel no need to mourn.
3. And most of all—to live long enough to see humanity make the crucial decisions
for survival; in other words, to die knowing that civilization will survive after all
into the 21st century, and for as long thereafter as is possible.'"
(Isaac Asimov)

By the way, I recently repositioned my desk, from facing a wall to facing a room-wide window through which I can see my back garden and the trees and world beyond... Amazing what a great difference it makes to look up from the screen and see birds and flowers. Hard to believe that a such a slight change can have such a beneficial effect.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Translators do seem to go on as long as anyone... Apr 17, 2014

There are several members on this site who are active past 70.

I am planning on working full time at least until I am 67 (which in fact is not so long now). It makes my pension situation less complicated than retiring at 65, which is the 'normal' age at present. (In spite of migraine, by the way, which is MUCH easier to control with modern medication, fresh air and moderate exercise.)

In fact 67 was the normal retiring age in Denmark for many years, and soon will be aga
... See more
There are several members on this site who are active past 70.

I am planning on working full time at least until I am 67 (which in fact is not so long now). It makes my pension situation less complicated than retiring at 65, which is the 'normal' age at present. (In spite of migraine, by the way, which is MUCH easier to control with modern medication, fresh air and moderate exercise.)

In fact 67 was the normal retiring age in Denmark for many years, and soon will be again. I believe there are plans to raise it gradually after that.

My father went on working into his 80s, admittedly voluntarily after 65, but quite hard and there are plenty of similar stories.

Learn to handle stress - up to a point, and with suitable intervals of relaxation, it's actually healthy! Getting your adrenaline rush from achieving a tight deadline, and then really RELAXING with a good conscience afterwards - going for a walk or taking exercise you enjoy, gardening, getting the housework out of the way... certainly feels good.

It's very much up to you!
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Don't be dazzled by glare around the screen Apr 17, 2014

Suzan Hamer wrote:
By the way, I recently repositioned my desk, from facing a wall to facing a room-wide window through which I can see my back garden and the trees and world beyond... Amazing what a great difference it makes to look up from the screen and see birds and flowers. Hard to believe that a such a slight change can have such a beneficial effect.

I carefully positoned MY desk with the window at the side.
I can still watch the sky, trees and the sunset, and see flowers when I stand up and walk around, but a wall with calendars and pictures is far more comfortable (for me) behind the screen.

[Edited at 2014-04-17 10:33 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Isn't it a bit too late? Apr 17, 2014

Trinh Do wrote:
I wonder how you can maintain your health for, say, 20 years at least by modifying your lifestyle? I go to the gym regularly, 4-5 times 30 minutes and walk 30-40 minutes 4-5 times each week.

I was under the impression that most of the things that affect your ability to live long happens in the early years, not in the later years. Yes, you can increase your life span or quality of live a little bit by stopping certain bad behaviours (e.g. smoking), but if you've had a malnourished childhood, then you're pretty much done for, isn't that right? I was also under the impression that the things you mention (e.g. going to the gym regularly) affects your short-term health more than your long-term health, e.g. if you stay physically fit right now then you have a better quality of life right now, and not in 20-50 years' time when you become unable to stay physically fit.

Or do you know of resources/URLs that prove otherwise?

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
come again? Apr 17, 2014

Orrin Cummins wrote:

Mailand wrote:

Vladimir Nadj wrote:

Swimming, as much as possible, keep every muscle in shape. A liter of green or black tea, on a daily basis, as they are great antioxidants. In a few years, when the use of C-60 diluted in olive oil passes various health inspections and becomes mainstream, we will be comfortable working well past the age of 100.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckminsterfullerene

I'm none the wiser
(and yes, I did click on the link, but it made me feel light-headed, like physics lessons at school)
Could somebody please dumb it down for me?

[Edited at 2014-04-17 09:42 GMT]

Orrin Cummins
Orrin Cummins  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 23:01
Japanese to English
+ ...
Basically Apr 17, 2014

Texte Style wrote:

Orrin Cummins wrote:

Mailand wrote:

Vladimir Nadj wrote:

Swimming, as much as possible, keep every muscle in shape. A liter of green or black tea, on a daily basis, as they are great antioxidants. In a few years, when the use of C-60 diluted in olive oil passes various health inspections and becomes mainstream, we will be comfortable working well past the age of 100.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckminsterfullerene

I'm none the wiser
(and yes, I did click on the link, but it made me feel light-headed, like physics lessons at school)
Could somebody please dumb it down for me?

[Edited at 2014-04-17 09:42 GMT]

A molecule made up of sixty carbon atoms arranged in this shape:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Buckminsterfullerene-perspective-3D-balls.png

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:01
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Fatigue Apr 19, 2014

Christine Andersen wrote:

Learn to handle stress - up to a point, and with suitable intervals of relaxation, it's actually healthy! Getting your adrenaline rush from achieving a tight deadline, and then really RELAXING with a good conscience afterwards - going for a walk or taking exercise you enjoy, gardening, getting the housework out of the way... certainly feels good.

It's very much up to you!

That's exactly what I've just done. After 10 days working day and night on a really challenging translation I felt quite exhausted so yesterday, having delivered the job, I went for a long hike in the country.

Unfortunately now I'm exhausted from the hike!

Michael Barnett
Michael Barnett
Local time: 10:01
English
+ ...
@Vlad Apr 21, 2014

Hi Vlad,

I looked at that study. There was a very impressive rat life extension compared to the controls.

But wait. The study does not state that the rat caretakers were blinded. The pathologist who did the liver histology was blinded, but no mention was made of anyone else. Thus the treated rats may have received better care in a hundred subtle ways.

We find consistently in medicine that when unblinded studies are repeated with the researchers not knowing
... See more
Hi Vlad,

I looked at that study. There was a very impressive rat life extension compared to the controls.

But wait. The study does not state that the rat caretakers were blinded. The pathologist who did the liver histology was blinded, but no mention was made of anyone else. Thus the treated rats may have received better care in a hundred subtle ways.

We find consistently in medicine that when unblinded studies are repeated with the researchers not knowing which subjects are the controls, the amazing results evaporate.

Also, there were only 4 treated rats.

M
Collapse

Rachel Fell
Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Hmm Apr 22, 2014

Michael Barnett wrote:

Hi Vlad,

We find consistently in medicine that when unblinded studies are repeated with the researchers not knowing which subjects are the controls, the amazing results evaporate.

Also, there were only 4 treated rats.

M

Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
Try to use your mouse with your left hand Apr 22, 2014

I was advised against this very move. I was told this upsets the brain. Do not know if it is true or not but decided not to risk it. Seems it applies especially for writing with the left hand when one is right-handed.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Dead Apr 22, 2014

Josephine Cassar wrote:

I was advised against this very move. I was told this upsets the brain. Do not know if it is true or not but decided not to risk it. Seems it applies especially for writing with the left hand when one is right-handed.

...especially if the mouse is dead or has been deliberately blinded by scientists.

David Lin
David Lin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2013)
English to Chinese
+ ...

keep appropriate time for rest and exercise Apr 22, 2014

I agreed to most of the very informative inputs above. The suggestion to have a window in front of the desk is the most useful one. Unfortunately my window faces west so I've a glaring afternoon most of the time (even in London especially in summer). I will change my table so the window will be on my side instead.

I also found occasional rest every 20-30 minutes in a lengthy project very soothing because it gave me space to stretch myself before overworking my right hand (on the mo
... See more
I agreed to most of the very informative inputs above. The suggestion to have a window in front of the desk is the most useful one. Unfortunately my window faces west so I've a glaring afternoon most of the time (even in London especially in summer). I will change my table so the window will be on my side instead.

I also found occasional rest every 20-30 minutes in a lengthy project very soothing because it gave me space to stretch myself before overworking my right hand (on the mouse) and developing stiff shoulders.

Above all, I practice Taichi every morning before starting to work which prepares me well physically as well as mentally. Occasionally if I really feel overworked, I take a walk for an hour in the nearby park that is a sound cushion before my brain and muscle are hardened.

David
Collapse

Doreen Stacey
Doreen Stacey
United States
Balanced diet Apr 28, 2014

Very important to always have a balanced diet, consuming healthy food will mean healthy body.

Roy OConnor (X)
Roy OConnor (X)
German to English
Left-handed mouse operation Apr 28, 2014

Josephine Cassar wrote:

I would imagine that learning to write with the left hand is very difficult compared to operating the mouse. Here, you only have to get used to pointing the mouse with the other hand and probably using different buttons as the right & left clicks swop fingers too. So when you swop hands, there is a temporary element of confusion and frustration which can be quite stressful. In my case, changing has certainly relieved my right arm and I haven't noticed any kind of "brain fatigue" (more than normal, I mean!).

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can one maintain one's health to live and work as translator until 70?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »