Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >
How can one maintain one's health to live and work as translator until 70?
Thread poster: Trinh Do
Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:18
Swedish to English
+ ...
Speech recognition, proper chair Apr 28, 2014

Trinh Do wrote:
In addition, there is the back pain of sitting long hours working as a freelance translator/proofreader/subtitler, etc.

Potential problems with your back, your arms and wrists need to be sorted out before the pain gets too severe. One answer is speech recognition which increases both the quantity and quality of your work.
It also means that you can use a more comfortable office chair. I sit in a very comfortable leather armchair and have never had back pain.

David Lin
David Lin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2013)
English to Chinese
+ ...

might confuse your brain Apr 28, 2014

Josephine Cassar wrote:

I was advised against this very move. I was told this upsets the brain. Do not know if it is true or not but decided not to risk it. Seems it applies especially for writing with the left hand when one is right-handed.

Agreed. It might confuse your brain. Instead, perhaps, rest your hand more often - at fixed intervals. Or, squeeze a soft ball to stretch the palm muscle is one way to relax your 'mouse' hand.

BeatrizP
BeatrizP
Spain
Local time: 03:18
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yoga miracle for sedentary jobs Apr 29, 2014

It´s the first I write here but I couldn´t help it this time. I work as full time translator and fortunately I also have the opportunity to teach yoga few hours per week and be around people I´d suggest for anybody with sedentary jobs just few asanas of yoga, I stopped suffering from trapezius contractures the minute I started practising yoga. It also helps for psoas shortening, what we get from endless hours sitting, eye exer... See more
It´s the first I write here but I couldn´t help it this time. I work as full time translator and fortunately I also have the opportunity to teach yoga few hours per week and be around people I´d suggest for anybody with sedentary jobs just few asanas of yoga, I stopped suffering from trapezius contractures the minute I started practising yoga. It also helps for psoas shortening, what we get from endless hours sitting, eye exercises... breathing soothing techniques, great when your head is just feeling saturated... multiple benefits, namaste!Collapse

Khwansuree DEROLLEPOT
Khwansuree DEROLLEPOT  Identity Verified
France
Member (2012)
English to Thai
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Have you guys ever tried self-massaging? Apr 29, 2014

I don't know whether it helps maintaining a good health but it sure is relaxing!
Try massaging you neck, your head, your back and your hands when you feel tight!

Paul Harrison MITI
Paul Harrison MITI
United Kingdom
French to English
In a similar vein... Apr 29, 2014

Beatriz Peña wrote:

It´s the first I write here but I couldn´t help it this time. I work as full time translator and fortunately I also have the opportunity to teach yoga few hours per week and be around people I´d suggest for anybody with sedentary jobs just few asanas of yoga, I stopped suffering from trapezius contractures the minute I started practising yoga. It also helps for psoas shortening, what we get from endless hours sitting, eye exercises... breathing soothing techniques, great when your head is just feeling saturated... multiple benefits, namaste!

Look in to "foam rolling", and mobility exercises for your thorassic spine and hips.

Alexandre Chetrite
Alexandre Chetrite
France
English to French
About self-massage... Apr 29, 2014

Khwansuree DEROLLEPOT wrote:

I don't know whether it helps maintaining a good health but it sure is relaxing!
Try massaging you neck, your head, your back and your hands when you feel tight!

I have these...Very helpful during the day...and cheap...

This one is for the head (self-massage):

http://www.natureetdecouvertes.com/huiles-essentielles-et-bien-etre/massage-et-bien-etre/masseur/masseur-tete-frissons-15141820

That one for the body:

http://www.natureetdecouvertes.com/huiles-essentielles-et-bien-etre/massage-et-bien-etre/masseur/masseur-detente-trapezes-15141840

Enjoy...

David Lin
David Lin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2013)
English to Chinese
+ ...

Reflexology Apr 29, 2014

Khwansuree DEROLLEPOT wrote:

Agreed. Self massage is good as long as you know the skills. I guess Thai massage is famous in this. I use electric massager to relax my back and neck muscles as well but be careful not make it too hard on your neck as there are nerves in that part of your body that can't take too much manual or electric massager.

Halil Ibrahim Tutuncuoglu
Halil Ibrahim Tutuncuoglu "Бёcäטsع Լîfe's cômplicåtعd eñøugh"
Türkiye
Local time: 05:18
Turkish to English
+ ...
Alkaline water and alkaline diet are worth reading May 2, 2014

for easy weight loss and high performance

http://www.healthguidance.org/entry/12083/1/How-to-Make-Alkaline-Water.html
http://www.webmd.com/diet/alkaline-diets

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
Good tips May 21, 2014

Hi all,

I have with great interest read this thread with its many sensible and usable tips.
It made me review my old thread about weight loss and escaping diabetes mellitus (type 2):

http://www.proz.com/topic/186617

Mats

[Edited at 2014-05-21 23:01 GMT]

Richard Hill
Richard Hill  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 21:18
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
Meditation May 22, 2014

I was pretty cynical about meditation until I went on a Vipassana course last October/November and its the best thing I've ever done for myself. http://www.dhamma.org/en/about/vipassana

I had thought I wouldn't find time to continue the practice, but I now meditate twice a day. I perform better, more efficiently and time isn't an issue as I just sleep a little less, watch less TV and
... See more
I was pretty cynical about meditation until I went on a Vipassana course last October/November and its the best thing I've ever done for myself. http://www.dhamma.org/en/about/vipassana

I had thought I wouldn't find time to continue the practice, but I now meditate twice a day. I perform better, more efficiently and time isn't an issue as I just sleep a little less, watch less TV and I've pretty much stopped answering Kudoz questions.
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
70 May 22, 2014

Trinh Do wrote:

Hi everyone,

Recently, there is a law in Australia promulgating that people should be considering working until the age of 70.

Why only 70? If you enjoy your work, as I do, then you just keep on doing it you "croak" as a late friend of mine used to put it. Why ever stop?

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Deleted May 22, 2014

Deleted - apologies

[Edited at 2014-05-22 08:11 GMT]

Robert42
Robert42
Czech Republic
c60 Mar 12, 2018

Vladimir Nadj wrote:

Yup, buckey-balls show much promise in numerous applications, including rocket fuels and life extension. Granted, it is only one study, and one which aim was toxicity testing, not longevity; but if it worked on mice, it will probably work on us too.

Think of it, a lion's share of our current knowledge rests on the benzene molecule. What will be accomplished using as a basis something that is much more complex than that?

C60 Fullerene is a very interesting nano material. If you are interested, you can learn more here. The stuff is mostly used in industrial area. As far as the application in cosmetics or even drinking it goes... most effects are unknown. It is certainly a great antioxidant. On the other hand, the particles are small enough to get into your bloodstream and therefore into your every organ. So far Iam not using it nor am I scared of it.

Funny fact is that c60 can occur naturally in certain extreme conditions (for ex. meteor impact). In Russia there is an area where one landed and the soil there is very rich for fullerenes (the material is called shungite). Water in the area are for centuries rumored to have great healing powers.

Reed James
Reed James
Chile
Local time: 23:18
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
Nix the mouse Mar 15, 2018

Josephine Cassar wrote:

I was advised against this very move. I was told this upsets the brain. Do not know if it is true or not but decided not to risk it. Seems it applies especially for writing with the left hand when one is right-handed.

For that matter, why even use the mouse? Wherever possible, use keyboard shortcuts and speech recognition, and there's even a free mouse replacement application called Mousefighter, www.mousefighter.com, where you can control your mouse with the keyboard… kind of like using your laptop touchpad.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
My recommendation Mar 15, 2018

Just try not to get run over by a bus.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can one maintain one's health to live and work as translator until 70?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »