Anyone actually use LogTerm Pro (and know about maximum index/import limits)?
Thread poster: Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:25
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Mar 5, 2017

I have recently been considering purchasing LogiTerm, to use it as a one-stop-shop for terminology and TMX indexing/searching (while continuing to translate in Déjà Vu X3 which I prefer as a translation environment), but have a few questions. Hopefully at least one or two people who actually own and use it will be able to answer, although I'm not overly optimistic given its very low profile and market share in my part of the world.

For example, I can't find any information on the
... See more
I have recently been considering purchasing LogiTerm, to use it as a one-stop-shop for terminology and TMX indexing/searching (while continuing to translate in Déjà Vu X3 which I prefer as a translation environment), but have a few questions. Hopefully at least one or two people who actually own and use it will be able to answer, although I'm not overly optimistic given its very low profile and market share in my part of the world.

For example, I can't find any information on the limits of the program in terms of
• the maximum index it can work with,
• the maximum TMX it can index
• the maximum tab-delimited txt file it can convert to TMX
• the maximum LogiTerm .doc terminology file it can index

I would also like to know what the price is for the web version of LogiTerm (for a freelance translator). Doesn't say it on the website.

Michael
Collapse

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Uncommunicative Mar 5, 2017

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer wrote:
I'm not overly optimistic given its very low profile and market share in my part of the world.

I would be cautious. I don't know anything about LogiTerm, but I own an AlignFactory Light licence. The software is okay, albeit dated, but I have had no response to or acknowledgement of feedback and requests for information. I had one specific problem (thisnot caused by me) with a serial number that was dealt with promptly, though rather curtly, by the company immediately after purchase. Since then, nothing.

I get the sense that they work primarily in French and not English and certainly they are not big on outreach. Maybe I would get a better response if I were French-Canadian? I would not buy another product from them, especially given the high price. I'm quite interested in the rumoured new version of AlignFactory, but they will not respond to my emails so... .

Dan

Gladis Audi, DipTrans

Siegfried Armbruster
Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:25
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Interesting topic Mar 5, 2017

I tried AlignFactory, it works fine, but LFAligner produces results that are as good and it is free. I also tried SynchrOterm, it seems to work well, but there is hardly any information available on the program and its usefullness. I would have no problem paying the prices they ask, but only if there would be more info or test versions that allow real evaluation.

As it is right now, spending several hundred dollars does not sound like a good plan.

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still looking for the perfect combination (TB search + TM search + CAT tool) Mar 5, 2017

Dan Lucas wrote:

I'm not overly optimistic given its very low profile and market share in my part of the world.

I would be cautious. I don't know anything about LogiTerm, but I own an AlignFactory Light licence. The software is okay, albeit dated, but I have had no response to or acknowledgement of feedback and requests for information. I had one specific problem (thisnot caused by me) with a serial number that was dealt with promptly, though rather curtly, by the company immediately after purchase. Since then, nothing.

I get the sense that they work primarily in French and not English and certainly they are not big on outreach. Maybe I would get a better response if I were French-Canadian? I would not buy another product from them, especially given the high price. I'm quite interested in the rumoured new version of AlignFactory, but they will not respond to my emails so... .

Dan

Yes, I am also not particularly impressed by their seemingly total lack of interest in certain markets or customer target groups. However, I do find LogiTerm very interesting, as a concept. What I really like is that it may be possible to use it as a one-stop-shop for terminology and TMX indexing/searching, while using another (real) CAT tool. I'm currently trying all kinds of hybrid solutions, but am not satisfied with any of them.

Some options I have tried recently (currently considering the last option):

TB database and searching: evoTerm or LogiTerm or MultiTerm or TMLookup or Xbench or Excel
TM database and concordance searching: LogiTerm or TMLookup or Xbench
CAT tool: Déjà Vu X3

TB database and searching: evoTerm or LogiTerm or MultiTerm or TMLookup or Xbench or Excel

Of course, Déjà Vu X3 (and other CAT tools) can also handle TBs and TMs, but I am looking for a future-proof, scalable solution that will be able to grow beyond what most CAT tools are comfortable with currently. That is: I do the translation in my CAT tool, and utilise TMs/TBs in that tool, but also maintain a parallel TM/terminology database for my large, ever-growing messy bilingual and terminology data, which I use primarily for term searching and TM concordance.

[Edited at 2017-03-05 19:54 GMT]

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
~ Mar 5, 2017

~

[Edited at 2017-03-05 19:50 GMT]

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Siegfried Mar 5, 2017

Siegfried Armbruster wrote:

I tried AlignFactory, it works fine, but LFAligner produces results that are as good and it is free. I also tried SynchrOterm, it seems to work well, but there is hardly any information available on the program and its usefullness. I would have no problem paying the prices they ask, but only if there would be more info or test versions that allow real evaluation.

As it is right now, spending several hundred dollars does not sound like a good plan.

AlignFactory is amazing. Even though LFAligner is almost as good, it isn't always quite as good. AlignFacory is more consistent, I feel.

SynchroTerm is a funny one. I never use it for anything, except for one thing, which I find it is indispensable for: to create monolingual glossaries from large amounts of English text. One of my hats is "terminologist", which basically boils down to creating monolingual ENG glossaries for large translation agencies from massive amounts of corporate texts, to be used as an original ENG glossary, which then gets translated into multiple languages at the outset of large multilingual projects. Anyway, Synchroterm is the only tool that does this well. SDL's MultiTerm Extract is crap. or at least it was last time I tested it again.

Eugene Kuchynski
Eugene Kuchynski
Belarus
Local time: 09:25
English to Russian
Why not memoQ? Mar 6, 2017

Hello, Michael!

Just read your message and would like to ask why to use all these complicated mixes? Plus, for the mentioned product, for such a high price? MemoQ cost less, while have million times more functions. You may have any number of termbases, which are connected to the project automatically depending on the client and specialization. Possible to import for csv, xml, excel, tmx, tbx. For each term we can specify usage example, grammar options, etc. When translating, you hav
... See more
Hello, Michael!

Just read your message and would like to ask why to use all these complicated mixes? Plus, for the mentioned product, for such a high price? MemoQ cost less, while have million times more functions. You may have any number of termbases, which are connected to the project automatically depending on the client and specialization. Possible to import for csv, xml, excel, tmx, tbx. For each term we can specify usage example, grammar options, etc. When translating, you have just to type first letter - the program will offer rest of the term. It also has some plug-ins to search terminology, but I don't use them.
I have ~20 termbases, more than 1000 terms, and it's very easy to maintain terms. So, the question, what exceptional features has specialized software which could make the life easier comparing to what I listed above?
Collapse

Artem Vakhitov
Artem Vakhitov  Identity Verified
Kyrgyzstan
English to Russian
+ ...
Also wonder about the price for the Web version of Logiterm Mar 14, 2017

I too would like to know how much the Web version of Logiterm costs.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
SynchroTerm? Mar 18, 2018

SynchroTerm is a funny one. I never use it for anything, except for one thing, which I find it is indispensable for: to create monolingual glossaries from large amounts of English text.

I've been playing around with it today, to extract candidates for term pairs from a TMX file. I guess that you use its big brother Logiterm for this task?

Anyway, since SynchroTerm's demo version is a little limited, I wrote a quick AutoHotkey script:

Here's the GUI:

After further testing, I'll decide if I'll buy a license (at 260.70 EUR).

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
? Mar 19, 2018

Hans Lenting wrote:

SynchroTerm is a funny one. I never use it for anything, except for one thing, which I find it is indispensable for: to create monolingual glossaries from large amounts of English text.

I've been playing around with it today, to extract candidates for term pairs from a TMX file. I guess that you use its big brother Logiterm for this task?

Anyway, since SynchroTerm's demo version is a little limited, I wrote a quick AutoHotkey script:

Here's the GUI:

After further testing, I'll decide if I'll buy a license (at 260.70 EUR).

Interesting, how's it doing so far?

Michael

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Anyone actually use LogTerm Pro (and know about maximum index/import limits)?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »