Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Is it possible to proofread 2000 (source) words per hour?
Thread poster: Li-Hsiang Hsu
Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 04:21
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Jyuan Mar 19, 2018

jyuan_us wrote:
M Ibrahim wrote:
Proofreading is more difficult than translation.

Why is proofreading more difficult than translation?

Because you have to get into the minds of two other people instead of just one. It is easier, however, if the translator's mind is similar to yours.

Li-Hsiang Hsu
Li-Hsiang Hsu  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 04:21
French to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@jyuan Mar 19, 2018

jyuan_us wrote:

M Ibrahim wrote:

That's called reading. Proofreading is more difficult than translation.

I didn't get it. Why is proofreading more difficult than translation?

Proofreading/review/editing tasks are much more complicated in practice than lay people tend to think, and ideally, those tasks shall be done by someone very qualified to assure the final delivery quality. Unfortunately, in translation industry, I don't think it is always the case, because the proofreading/editing conventionally set as 1/3 of regular translation rate is too much undervalued, so many qualified translators feel that those tasks are so poorly paid that they prefer translating to proofreading/editing.

My editing rate per source word is at least ½ of my translation rate instead of 1/3 of it and most of the time I pick out merely translation of good quality to edit. Some people may say this rate is uncommonly high, but I think it is the fair value and I don’t really mind that I don’t get many copy-editing jobs because of that rate.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it possible to proofread 2000 (source) words per hour?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »