Fernando Naumann
Fernando Naumann  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:46
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Mar 15, 2018

Hello, everyone.

I have just started advertising my translation services and I have got my first client, who wants to have his CV and cover letter translated from Portuguese into English and German.

I am not sure what rate to propose: the typical rate in Germany or the typical rate in Brazil.

Could anyone give me some pointers as to which entry level rate I could charge for this Brazilian client?

Thank you very much,

Fernando

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 09:46
Japanese to English
Where do you spend your money? Mar 17, 2018

Fernando Naumann wrote:
I am not sure what rate to propose: the typical rate in Germany or the typical rate in Brazil.

The typical rate in Germany, since that's where you live and work and spend your money. Your landlord won't charge you Brazilian rent prices just because you happen to have a Brazilian client.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rate: working from Germany and having Brazilian clients

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »