Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65] >
Off topic: Completely frivolous thread
Thread poster: Tom in London
expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 14:51
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
All fixed now Oct 19, 2020

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

expressisverbis wrote:

Yesterday, after my last post, a big tile fall on my head.
I am still solving it, and technicians most part of the time don't help at all.
Although, I am a bit sad and upset, it is always a pleasure to read you!

It sounds as if the soup tiles were a bad omen. I’m glad you’re still able to write, but it must’ve been an unpleasant experience. I hope the rest of the building is still standing. In the US, you could probably have sued someone for $5 mio.

Thank you, Thomas.
Yes, it is all fixed now!
I lost my Internet connection all of the sudden last Saturday. Fortunately, I could work with my laptop during the weekend, while fixing the other pc.
The bad guy was the most recent update of Windows 10.

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Short hair Oct 19, 2020

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

Actually, if you go down the page a little, the same scene is in full colour, and not so sinister this time. Almost happy, in fact. As well it might - after all, they're trying to sell this stuff. And the Potential Poisoner has even managed a little smile. Chief Taster, though, still looks rather sneaky. Maybe she's planning on slurping up all that soup on her own. But the cross-dresser on the left remains depressed. Still trying to figure out whether he's a boy or a girl, I suppose.

Looks like a boy to me.

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:51
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
A comic (story book) old Kaiser Wilhelm II had to grow up with: Oct 19, 2020

Mervyn Henderson wrote:
What sticks out in my memory, though, was a book for German children, a story book with pictures. But a lot more sinister than Knorr … there was a little boy in the story, but the illustrators had done their best to make him look unpleasant, so he was a fat kid with a permanent scowl. I’m pretty sure the story was that he refused to eat up his greens or something, stamped his foot and threw tantrums and the rest of it, and his parents told him if he didn’t eat up, the something-or-other-Man would get him, kind of like our Bogeyman. But he paid no heed to his parents, and stomped around and shouted, and then one day Der Fingerschnitter or whatever he was called came along with a huge pair of shears and cut his fingers off! I remember the pictures with the blood and all, and the kid shrieking. It struck us as rather over the top for kids, but it must have put the fear of God into a generation or two. So the kid on the tile had better watch out.

[Edited at 2020-10-19 10:22 GMT]

Here we are:
Der Struwelpeter! Nasty stories to produce nasty children in nasty times (mid of the 19th. century).

You may switch between the German and English version:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Struwwelpeter

expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
A scary Edward Scissorhands Oct 19, 2020

Matthias Brombach wrote:

Mervyn Henderson wrote:
What sticks out in my memory, though, was a book for German children, a story book with pictures. But a lot more sinister than Knorr … there was a little boy in the story, but the illustrators had done their best to make him look unpleasant, so he was a fat kid with a permanent scowl. I’m pretty sure the story was that he refused to eat up his greens or something, stamped his foot and threw tantrums and the rest of it, and his parents told him if he didn’t eat up, the something-or-other-Man would get him, kind of like our Bogeyman. But he paid no heed to his parents, and stomped around and shouted, and then one day Der Fingerschnitter or whatever he was called came along with a huge pair of shears and cut his fingers off! I remember the pictures with the blood and all, and the kid shrieking. It struck us as rather over the top for kids, but it must have put the fear of God into a generation or two. So the kid on the tile had better watch out.

[Edited at 2020-10-19 10:22 GMT]

Here we are:
Der Struwelpeter! Nasty stories to produce nasty children in nasty times (mid of the 19th. century).

You may switch between the German and English version:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Struwwelpeter

He is the spitting image of Johnny Depp!

P.L.F. Persio

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thumbsucker Oct 19, 2020

Thanks, Matthias! It's all coming back to me now. So der kleine Konrad sucked his thumb, that was it, and so he lost his fingers. Drastic, but effective. As a well-known compatriot of mine once said, "Statistics prove that 100% of people executed for murder never do it again." Like Konrad never got the chance to do it again, but on the positive side there's the edifying personal challenge of learning how to get through life with a couple of hooks instead of fingers and thumbs. Few problems with ... See more
Thanks, Matthias! It's all coming back to me now. So der kleine Konrad sucked his thumb, that was it, and so he lost his fingers. Drastic, but effective. As a well-known compatriot of mine once said, "Statistics prove that 100% of people executed for murder never do it again." Like Konrad never got the chance to do it again, but on the positive side there's the edifying personal challenge of learning how to get through life with a couple of hooks instead of fingers and thumbs. Few problems with an Erbewurst roll, because you just spear it and eat it like a kebab, but you might be there for a while with a bowl of Knorr soup. That's if Chief Taster and Chief Poisoner even let you near it, but again on the positive side now you have a couple of fearsome weapons to hand to ensure yourself a place at the trough.

(that "to hand" bit was unintentional, but I think I'll leave it in)

I notice another story there to light up one's day:

Die gar traurige Geschichte mit dem Feuerzeug ("The Very Sad Tale with the Matches"): A girl plays with matches, accidentally ignites herself and burns to death.

Some heavy morals in those stories. How to keep your children frightened, cowed and under control at all times. Then again, maybe Mickey Mouse and Basil Brush turned subsequent generations soft.
Collapse

expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Windows Oct 19, 2020

expressisverbis wrote:

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

expressisverbis wrote:

Yesterday, after my last post, a big tile fall on my head.
I am still solving it, and technicians most part of the time don't help at all.
Although, I am a bit sad and upset, it is always a pleasure to read you!

It sounds as if the soup tiles were a bad omen. I’m glad you’re still able to write, but it must’ve been an unpleasant experience. I hope the rest of the building is still standing. In the US, you could probably have sued someone for $5 mio.

Thank you, Thomas.
Yes, it is all fixed now!
I lost my Internet connection all of the sudden last Saturday. Fortunately, I could work with my laptop during the weekend, while fixing the other pc.
The bad guy was the most recent update of Windows 10.

I saw your post, wondering if your computer had been in a close encounter with soup or tiles, but I had no useful suggestions to add.

I installed the same update on Saturday without any problems. I guess the problem may be related to specific hardware components or configurations. It could have been caused by a dubious updated driver possibly updated by a learner driver programmer.

expressisverbis

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Ffycityffycityffycffyc Oct 19, 2020

I was going to express the above comment on the news of a second full lockdown in Wales from Friday on the Coronavirus thread but it has mysteriously disappeared...

Are Dark Forces at play?

(And yes, Ffycityffycityffycffyc is a Welsh word. Ish.)

expressisverbis
Thomas T. Frost
P.L.F. Persio

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes, we experiencing "dark forces" since the beginning of the year Oct 19, 2020

Chris S wrote:

I was going to express the above comment on the news of a second full lockdown in Wales from Friday on the Coronavirus thread but it has mysteriously disappeared...

Are Dark Forces at play?

I hope you can control or minimise it with that short lockdown period.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
.......... Oct 19, 2020

Screen Shot 1

[Edited at 2020-10-19 13:24 GMT]

Christopher Schröder

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Maybe :) Oct 19, 2020

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

I saw your post, wondering if your computer had been in a close encounter with soup or tiles, but I had no useful suggestions to add.

I installed the same update on Saturday without any problems. I guess the problem may be related to specific hardware components or configurations. It could have been caused by a dubious updated driver possibly updated by a learner driver programmer.

By the way... speaking of tiles and soups, we have also a soup called Stone Soup ("Sopa de Pedra"):

https://www.tasteatlas.com/sopa-da-pedra

There is a story behind stone soup. It is a common fable (no, not a scary fable) told to children at the dinner table.
It describes the poverty of the times when most people didn’t have much to eat and the only ingredients around were very simple and local.
Each person can have its own interpretation of this fable. I see it as a lesson about doing a good deed and it suggests that helping others in a time of need benefits everyone. You can read the story in the link above.

Thomas T. Frost
P.L.F. Persio

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Linguistic lockdown Oct 19, 2020

Chris S wrote:

Are Dark Forces at play?

I'd say there's a good case for locking such words down. It looks like a linguistic virus.

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Stones Oct 19, 2020

expressisverbis wrote:

By the way... speaking of tiles and soups, we have also a soup called Stone Soup ("Sopa de Pedra"):

First tiles and now stones. Do you like to break your teeth in Portugal? 😁

expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson (X)

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Excess nonsense Oct 19, 2020

It could be her computer had reached its nonsense-storage threshold, and this thread and certain other threads simply pushed it over the edge.

expressisverbis
Thomas T. Frost
P.L.F. Persio

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Learning should be fun! Oct 19, 2020

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

It could be her computer had reached its nonsense-storage threshold, and this thread and certain other threads simply pushed it over the edge.

As a matter of fact, I am learning new things with these "nonsenses" of this frivolous thread.

[Edited at 2020-10-19 17:41 GMT]

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
@Tom/Chris Oct 19, 2020

Well, you both seem to know, but we're on tenterhooks here. What does "Mae llygred aer yn ladd Arafwch" mean?

expressisverbis

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Completely frivolous thread

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »