Thread poster: TransdelMarInc
TransdelMarInc
TransdelMarInc
United States
Local time: 11:33
Dutch to English
+ ...
Jul 14, 2018

Beware of Jasmine Moore ([email protected]), Shannon Maze and Nicholas Peter on ProZ.com. They contact you for jobs and pay an advance which they then defraud you of by sending a fake check or wire transfer to you, they have the wire returned or check cancelled, and then they immediately close their bank account and become unreachable. You bank may or may not help you. But the FBI, IC3, FTC and local police prescincts have been alerted to this and hopefully will catch this crime ring. Hopeful... See more
Beware of Jasmine Moore ([email protected]), Shannon Maze and Nicholas Peter on ProZ.com. They contact you for jobs and pay an advance which they then defraud you of by sending a fake check or wire transfer to you, they have the wire returned or check cancelled, and then they immediately close their bank account and become unreachable. You bank may or may not help you. But the FBI, IC3, FTC and local police prescincts have been alerted to this and hopefully will catch this crime ring. Hopefully, ProZ will also do something about this. This situation happened to me last week for a German-English document translation and I am 100% sure I am not the first or the last here, on ProZ.com. Regardless of whether you or someone else already know about it, it is still good for us to keep each other in the loop and let others know who may not be as educated and aware of these scams out there.

[Edited at 2018-07-14 21:07 GMT]
Collapse

Carolina Cortes Loudet

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Nothing new Jul 14, 2018

This is a well-known rip-off scam (often called a Nigerian scam due to its origins). It's been going on for years. Only the names change.
Just delete the mail as soon it comes in and then block the ISP. You can also alert Proz if you wish.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Peter van der Hoek
TransdelMarInc
Thayenga
Philippe Etienne
Angie Garbarino
Carolina Cortes Loudet

Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:33
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Old scam still going strong? Jul 14, 2018

Not to blame the victim, but this has been going on for so long I am surprised anyone still falls for it.

TransdelMarInc

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:33
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Your bank Jul 14, 2018

Your bank may help you, as far as giving advice on risk management is concerned; they may tell you that you need to be more careful. Unfortunately, if you actually present the fake cheque, the police can - if they wish - take proceedings against you for money laundering.

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:33
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
My condolences Jul 14, 2018

Sorry to hear you got snookered. It can happen to the best of us.

How much did they get you for?

Jessica Noyes

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:33
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@María-del-Mar Jul 15, 2018

I am sorry to hear that you were scammed. Have you reported them to the Translator Scammers Directory? If you haven't, please do: http://www.translator-scammers.com/translator-scammers-directory.htm

Anthony Teixeira
Anthony Teixeira
Japan
Local time: 00:33
Member (2011)
English to French
+ ...
Always Google names and email addresses Jul 15, 2018

Always Google names and email addresses. Scammers often reuse them. Might show up on translator-scammers.com

The use of a free email provider is a red flag already. If you don't get any results by Googling their names + translation-related keywords, that's even more suspicious.

And trouble with a relatively unusual payment method on the top of that? That's an immediate black flag.

Karla Rodríguez

CLNR
CLNR
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Just received an email from same Jul 27, 2018

I just received an email from Ms. Moore from that same email address!

Here is the email:

Hey how is your day going? I would like to know if you will
be able to translate a document am to use for a presentation in the next 3 to 5 weeks, so reply me with your cell # so i can send you the document and we can discuss what to do. Thank you for your time and have a great day ahead!

I emailed back asking for more information (to my email address) to which s
... See more
I just received an email from Ms. Moore from that same email address!

Here is the email:

Hey how is your day going? I would like to know if you will
be able to translate a document am to use for a presentation in the next 3 to 5 weeks, so reply me with your cell # so i can send you the document and we can discuss what to do. Thank you for your time and have a great day ahead!

I emailed back asking for more information (to my email address) to which she responded:

Thank you for getting back to me, So sorry am just getting back to you as there seems to be a little delay as we are trying to make sure everything went well as planned,I need it translated into Spanish and already attached the document so you can view and send me your proforma invoice/charges to get this done.We have from now till August 29th. Thank you for your time and have a great day ahead!

I wish I could attach the document. It is about offshore fish farming units and installations.

I copied the email address and did a search which brought me here so I thank you for posting!

I am so sorry you were scammed.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Old Scam newly active on ProZ.com

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »