Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
How to open Wordfast TXML with Trados Studio?
Thread poster: ITtranslations
jaskol
jaskol
Local time: 04:51
English to Polish
This file type is not supported Sep 24, 2012

Hi Paul,

I'm using Trados Studio 2009 SP3. I think I followed your instruction carefully but keep getting this annoying message "This file type is not supported". What might have gone wrong?

Thanks in advance
Slawomir

Clive McComb (X)
Clive McComb (X)  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Works perfectly Paul Mar 23, 2013

This procedure works absolutely perfectly for me Paul. Thanks a lot - what a disaster Wordfast is, what a relief to be able to work with .txml files in Trados.

SDL Support wrote:

Hi Charlotte,

I thought I'd add to this conversation. The process I have test this morning after Samuel popinted me in the direction of a trial version of Wordfast is this;

• Open the TXML in Wordfast and copy all source to target as Grzegorz suggested
  • Save and copy the TXML and rename as xml for the time being
  • Open Studio and go to Tools-Options-Filetypes
  • Create a New filetype and select xml
  • In the first window that comes up replace the File Dialogue Wildcard Expression to read *txml instead of *.xml. This way the TXML files will be recognised in the future. You can also change the name of the filetype here too so you can recognise it easily later
  • Click on Next and then select Define settings based on INI, ANL, XML, XSD or ITS rule. Then browse and select the TXML file you renamed as XML earlier
  • This will populate all the relevant fields to start with. Further customisation is possible to make it nicer later on.
  • Now go Next thenNext and Finish
  • You will now have the new filetype showing in your list of filetypes. Select it and then choose Parser Rules.
  • Select all the rules that were brought in on the import and delete them. Now add two XPATH rules as follows
  • //* and set as Not translatable - this will ensure nothing is parsed at all when you open the file
  • //target and set as Always Translatable - this will ensure only the target elements in the TXML are exposed
  • Now open your TXML for translation and when you save as target you will find that the translated TXML should open in Wordfast too

Sounds a little lengthy in words like this but actually it is very quick. I hope this helps, but if you have any questions please let me know.

Regards

Paul

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Open Exchange application available Mar 23, 2013

This application allows you to work in Studio 2011 with TXML documents, as generated by WordFast Professional. Documents may be untranslated, partially or fully translated:

http://www.translationzone.com/en/openexchange/AppDetails.aspx?appid=371

It works perfectly well!

[Edited at 2013-03-23 11:17 GMT]

Kaori Kawakami
Kaori Kawakami  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 00:51
Member (2015)
English to Japanese
+ ...
In Studio 2011? Jul 21, 2013

Hi there all,

I tried Paul's suggestion with my Studio 2011, but 2011 seems not to have some things the 2009 does, so I simply could not do the followings:

- //* and set as Not translatable - this will ensure nothing is parsed at all when you open the file
- //target and set as Always Translatable - this will ensure only the target elements in the TXML are exposed

Or is there something I missed out?

I have a client who is going to send m
... See more
Hi there all,

I tried Paul's suggestion with my Studio 2011, but 2011 seems not to have some things the 2009 does, so I simply could not do the followings:

- //* and set as Not translatable - this will ensure nothing is parsed at all when you open the file
- //target and set as Always Translatable - this will ensure only the target elements in the TXML are exposed

Or is there something I missed out?

I have a client who is going to send me a large volume in txml this week. I really want to work them with my Studio 2011 and saved them back in txml.

Could you please share how I can do this? Also, the txml files have tags. Does anyone have idea if those tags remained alright or I should correct all the tags when opening in Trados or in saving back in WF?

Thank you !!

Kaori

Solved the problem: I tried the free app Natalie suggested, and it seems to work. Even tags are located properly : D
Thank you for your attention!

[Edited at 2013-07-22 00:45 GMT]
Collapse

Rutger Cornets de Groot
Rutger Cornets de Groot  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
How does this work for Studio 2014? Dec 10, 2013

Hi,

I had this all nicely setup for Studio 2011 but for some reason it fails on my installation of Studio 2014. I am specifically asking for help on two issues:

1) The file type setting described above by Paul is not saved. Therefore it is not listed under the "Additional installed File Types exist" link in the wizard for new projects. I need to either redefine it or import it from a settings file for each new project.

2) The TXML file when opened in Studio
... See more
Hi,

I had this all nicely setup for Studio 2011 but for some reason it fails on my installation of Studio 2014. I am specifically asking for help on two issues:

1) The file type setting described above by Paul is not saved. Therefore it is not listed under the "Additional installed File Types exist" link in the wizard for new projects. I need to either redefine it or import it from a settings file for each new project.

2) The TXML file when opened in Studio 2014 is empty, even though I copied and pasted all source text to the target window in Wordfast, according to Paul's instruction. Note that the same file is not empty when I open it in Studio 2011!

I do have an extra question on this 2nd issue. Copying and pasting all source text means I lose any fuzzy and exact matches, no?

Any help is much appreciated!
Thanks,

Rutger

[Bijgewerkt op 2013-12-10 23:57 GMT]
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Since 2011... Dec 10, 2013

... it makes more sense to use the free OpenExchange plugin for TXML files and then you don't have to use the workaround I provided initially, and you can use fuzzy matches that were in the original TXML. You can find this here : http://goo.gl/CO8CvH

There will be an update for 2014 shortly but in the meantime the workaround is simple. Copy this file: Sdl.FileType.TXML.sdlplugin

From here
... See more
... it makes more sense to use the free OpenExchange plugin for TXML files and then you don't have to use the workaround I provided initially, and you can use fuzzy matches that were in the original TXML. You can find this here : http://goo.gl/CO8CvH

There will be an update for 2014 shortly but in the meantime the workaround is simple. Copy this file: Sdl.FileType.TXML.sdlplugin

From here:

c:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\10\Plugins\Packages\

to here:

c:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\11\Plugins\Packages\

Then start Studio 2014 and it will be unpacked. Check it’s all there and working in Studio 2014 and hopefully all will be well.

Let me know if it seems to work ok?

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Rutger Cornets de Groot
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Thanks Paul! Dec 10, 2013

This works like a charm.
Many thanks!
Rutger

Sian Cooper
Sian Cooper  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Installed the addin but... now what? Mar 28, 2014

Hi, Paul. As per this conversation, I have installed the addin; it appears in the add in list in Studio 2014. But I have a txml file and... now what? I've tried adding it to my project (it sees it as type Reference), or opening it directly (it doesn't know what program to use), and I'm not quite sure what I'm trying to do.

Well - what I want to do is open it and review it (and maybe edit it)! it is a file sent to me by a colleague.

Help please? (otherwise I might actual
... See more
Hi, Paul. As per this conversation, I have installed the addin; it appears in the add in list in Studio 2014. But I have a txml file and... now what? I've tried adding it to my project (it sees it as type Reference), or opening it directly (it doesn't know what program to use), and I'm not quite sure what I'm trying to do.

Well - what I want to do is open it and review it (and maybe edit it)! it is a file sent to me by a colleague.

Help please? (otherwise I might actually have to install Wordfast on this machine, which I've managed not to have to do yet...)

Thank you!
Collapse

Sian Cooper
Sian Cooper  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
A step forward, maybe Mar 28, 2014

Hi again. I have resolved my actual project issue by getting my colleague to send me the .doc; but I would like to get this working for the future, if that is possible, because I think I will be working this way again.

So - I work in Trados. I have 2011 and 2014.

I have colleagues who work in Wordfast. I need to be able to review their work, which I would like to do in the Trados environment. So, I would like to be able to open their txml files which, if I understand r
... See more
Hi again. I have resolved my actual project issue by getting my colleague to send me the .doc; but I would like to get this working for the future, if that is possible, because I think I will be working this way again.

So - I work in Trados. I have 2011 and 2014.

I have colleagues who work in Wordfast. I need to be able to review their work, which I would like to do in the Trados environment. So, I would like to be able to open their txml files which, if I understand rightly, are the Wordfast bilingual file format.

So, I installed the add-on, which made no difference as far as I could tell, so I added the file type anyway. Before I deleted the parsing rules, the file opened, unusable sure (all in the source side and with codes etc.). So I went back and deleted the rules, but I couldn't add the new one - it doesn't allow // or * as a character in the element type. So now of course it has no parsing rules and doesn't read any of what's in the doc., even though it opens it. I just have the start and end of file markers.

Please, any advice out there? Thanks!
Collapse

Sander Van de Moortel
Sander Van de Moortel  Identity Verified
China
English to Dutch
+ ...
XPATH Apr 15, 2016

The type of rule should be Xpath, not anything else, otherwise you cannot add slashes or asterisks.

That said, I couldn't get the SDL plugin for TXML. The app store returns a 401 unauthorized error when trying to download.

S

Angelica Perrini
Angelica Perrini  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
Where I can find the txml plugin? Dec 17, 2016

SDL Community wrote:

From here:

to here:

Then start Studio 2014 and it will be unpacked. Check it’s all there and working in Studio 2014 and hopefully all will be well.

Regards

Paul

Hello Paul,

thanks for your hints.

I am unable to find the free OpenExchange plugin for TXML mentioned in your messages.

I would like to try it with my Studio 2011. Can you please explain how to find it at translationzone?

Thanks in advance!

Angelica

Angelica Perrini
Angelica Perrini  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
Unable to find the plugin Dec 22, 2016

SDL Community wrote:

From here:

to here:

Regards

Paul

Hello Paul,

thanks for your hints.

I am unable to find the free OpenExchange plugin for TXML mentioned in your messages.

I would like to try it with my Studio 2011. Can you please explain how to find it at translationzone?

Thanks in advance!

Angelica

Rutger Cornets de Groot
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
XML file type gone again in Studio 2015 Jun 9, 2017

Hi,

Not sure since when but I am unable to translate XML files in Studio 2015 while before this worked just fine.

When I add an XML file to the project wizard it is considered a reference file instead of a translatable file.

I tried the Open Exchange plugin for Wordfast but no luck.

I also looked fot the Sdl.FileType.TXML.sdlplugin file; the path is there but the file is not.

Dear Paul Filkin, you helped me out wonderfully in the
... See more
Hi,

Not sure since when but I am unable to translate XML files in Studio 2015 while before this worked just fine.

When I add an XML file to the project wizard it is considered a reference file instead of a translatable file.

I tried the Open Exchange plugin for Wordfast but no luck.

I also looked fot the Sdl.FileType.TXML.sdlplugin file; the path is there but the file is not.

Dear Paul Filkin, you helped me out wonderfully in the past with this, can you please come to my aid again?

Thanks,

Rutger
Collapse

Rutger Cornets de Groot
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Question resolved Jun 11, 2017

My question above was resolved in this thread.

Umberto Menon
Umberto Menon  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
French to Italian
+ ...
help with File Type Definition for Wordfast TXML Mar 15, 2018

Hello everyone! Can I ask you to pls send me privately to my email [email protected] this file?
Mine is corrupt, I tried to download it from the website but something is not working.
I am on SDL Studio 2017.
Thank you for that

U.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to open Wordfast TXML with Trados Studio?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »