Context list is null. Could not get last child.
Thread poster: Eileen Cartoon
Eileen Cartoon
Eileen Cartoon  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:27
Italian to English
Apr 24, 2012

I am working in Studio 2011 on a project in PDF. I know, that says it all. Anyway I tried to use Studio to create the project directly from the pdf and the resutling bilingual project appears to have all the pertinent text. I started to translate and decided to try to generate the file to see if everything works (I would hate to get to the end and find it didn't). And infact it did not. Upon generating the translation I get two messages that read:

The context list is null. Could not
... See more
I am working in Studio 2011 on a project in PDF. I know, that says it all. Anyway I tried to use Studio to create the project directly from the pdf and the resutling bilingual project appears to have all the pertinent text. I started to translate and decided to try to generate the file to see if everything works (I would hate to get to the end and find it didn't). And infact it did not. Upon generating the translation I get two messages that read:

The context list is null. Could not get the last child.

The first, under Origin, reads Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Native.PDF.PDFWriter while the second states the Origin as Generate Target Trasnlation

Now I don't know what to do. Should I continue (the translation is repetitive and could really take advantage of Studio's assets. or????

I am working with a computer running XP with Studio 2011 SP1.

Thanks for any help.
Eileen
Collapse

Kate Chaffer
Kate Chaffer
Italy
Local time: 07:27
Member (2009)
Italian to English
This might help... Apr 24, 2012

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/210410-severe_bug:_the_context_list_is_null_could_not_get_the_last_child.html

Gerardo Cáceres
Gerardo Cáceres
Local time: 00:27
English to Spanish
+ ...
I Think I finally fixed it! Mar 22, 2017

I know this bug is a couple of years' old and I don't know if anyone other than me still uses Studio 11, but I found a way to fix it! Or well, at least in all the situations where I've used it, it seems to get the job done.
Here's how:

1- Close the error message
2- File>Save As...
3- choose a different location than where the previous SDLXIFF file used to be
4- in that NEW location, also rename the file. Just rename it "1" or "new file" or something short. I
... See more
I know this bug is a couple of years' old and I don't know if anyone other than me still uses Studio 11, but I found a way to fix it! Or well, at least in all the situations where I've used it, it seems to get the job done.
Here's how:

1- Close the error message
2- File>Save As...
3- choose a different location than where the previous SDLXIFF file used to be
4- in that NEW location, also rename the file. Just rename it "1" or "new file" or something short. I think renaming it something short is essential
5- hit SAVE
6- Now save your translation and the problem should now be solved!

I'll be posting this on all the "content null" posts I can find in case it's helpful to anyone else, so if you see it all over Proz, it's not Spam! it's just joy at finally having cracked this pesky S.O.B.!
Collapse

alpia
alpia  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2010)
German to Czech
+ ...
for Gerardo Mar 18, 2018

Hi Gerardo,

it sounds like a very good method, I tried it after Your instruction, which I find great---but it did not work for my file.....

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Context list is null. Could not get last child.

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »