How to create a TMX file in SDLX (Trados 7)
Thread poster: Barbara Østergaard
Barbara Østergaard
Barbara Østergaard
Denmark
Local time: 06:31
English to Danish
+ ...
Mar 15, 2018

Dear colleagues,

A supplier of mine has problems exporting a TM compatible with my own translation tool - MemoQ. I need either a TMX or CSV format, but apparently this is not possible with her tool.

Do you have any experience with SDLX (which is supposedly part of Trados 7), and do you have any suggestions as to how we solve this problem?

Thank you very much!

Best regards,
Barbara

Sharon James
Sharon James
Australia
Export data in SDLX Mar 15, 2018

To export data from the translation memory use the Export Wizard. Data is exported from the translation memory in the form of a Translation Memory Exchange *.tmx or a *. tmx.gz (compressed *.tmx) document. When exporting translation memory data you are exporting translation units with their associated fields. You can apply a filter to the export so that only translation units that match the conditions of the filter are exported. Filters are based on the field values assigned to the translation u... See more
To export data from the translation memory use the Export Wizard. Data is exported from the translation memory in the form of a Translation Memory Exchange *.tmx or a *. tmx.gz (compressed *.tmx) document. When exporting translation memory data you are exporting translation units with their associated fields. You can apply a filter to the export so that only translation units that match the conditions of the filter are exported. Filters are based on the field values assigned to the translation units.

When you export data from a translation memory, it does not include access level passwords, language resource templates or recognition settings. Importing this data after you have exported it will not recreate that functionality in SDL Trados Studio.

[Edited at 2018-03-15 12:37 GMT]
Collapse

Barbara Østergaard
Barbara Østergaard
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Empty TM Mar 16, 2018

Sharon James wrote:

To export data from the translation memory use the Export Wizard. Data is exported from the translation memory in the form of a Translation Memory Exchange *.tmx or a *. tmx.gz (compressed *.tmx) document. When exporting translation memory data you are exporting translation units with their associated fields. You can apply a filter to the export so that only translation units that match the conditions of the filter are exported. Filters are based on the field values assigned to the translation units.

When you export data from a translation memory, it does not include access level passwords, language resource templates or recognition settings. Importing this data after you have exported it will not recreate that functionality in SDL Trados Studio.

[Edited at 2018-03-15 12:37 GMT]

Dear Sharon,

Thank you very much for your reply. I have received some files, but they appear to be empty. Normally, that would mean that the tmx has not been updated with the latest translation, but I have no experience with SDLX, so I'm not sure how to instruct her to check. Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you again!

Best regards,
Barbara

Jorge Payan
Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 00:31
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Did your customer try with SDL Mantain? Mar 16, 2018

Dear Sharon,

Thank you very much for your reply. I have received some files, but they appear to be empty. Normally, that would mean that the tmx has not been updated with the latest translation, but I have no experience with SDLX, so I'm not sure how to instruct her to check. Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you again!

Best regards,
Barbara

I use to have SDLX installed in my PC, but I removed it two years ago. I remember that I used the SDL Maintain module for exporting in tmx format, as explained in page 48 of this document:

http://www.uio.no/studier/emner/hf/iln/TRANS2110/v06/undervisningsmateriale/sdlx_docs/How%20to%20Manage%20TMs%20Using%20SDL%20Maintain%20in%20SDLX%202004.pdf

Good luck!

Barbara Østergaard
Barbara Østergaard
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Mar 18, 2018

Jorge Payan wrote:

Dear Sharon,

Thank you again!

Best regards,
Barbara

I use to have SDLX installed in my PC, but I removed it two years ago. I remember that I used the SDL Maintain module for exporting in tmx format, as explained in page 48 of this document:

http://www.uio.no/studier/emner/hf/iln/TRANS2110/v06/undervisningsmateriale/sdlx_docs/How%20to%20Manage%20TMs%20Using%20SDL%20Maintain%20in%20SDLX%202004.pdf

Good luck!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to create a TMX file in SDLX (Trados 7)

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »