What is the best smartphone to work on when no laptop/tablet is available?
Thread poster: Cecilia Klintebäck
Cecilia Klintebäck
Cecilia Klintebäck
France
Local time: 07:22
English to French
+ ...
Mar 12, 2018

I am often on the road and I would like to find a smartphone that I could use to do translating work (on Word or Excel mostly) while travelling, when bringing a laptop would be too inconvenient. I know it is theoretically possible on any smartphone, but it is sometimes very complicated, and I would like to find a convenient solution, if possible even a very practical one! Any clues?

Enrico C - ECLC
Enrico C - ECLC  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 14:22
English to Italian
+ ...
Galaxy Note Mar 15, 2018

CeciliaKl wrote:

I am often on the road and I would like to find a smartphone that I could use to do translating work (on Word or Excel mostly) while travelling, when bringing a laptop would be too inconvenient. I know it is theoretically possible on any smartphone, but it is sometimes very complicated, and I would like to find a convenient solution, if possible even a very practical one! Any clues?

Although no smartphone is really suitable for translating, I did happen to do short jobs on Galaxy Note devices. Big screen and the possibility to convert pen input into text has been helpful, although far from perfect. Short of that, any device with a big screen (5.7" and up) if you care your eyes. Preferably with a 16:9 display ratio. New phones all have the 18:9 ratio, narrower and longer, not too good for reading or writing. Sony Xperia XZ Premium is one of the last devices left of that type.

[Edited at 2018-03-15 06:02 GMT]

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
yikes Mar 18, 2018

OK, I have sent a quick translation or two of a word or short phrase using my phone when the client has an urgent question and I'm out of the house.

I fail to see how it would be possible to produce quality work on a smartphone when you have anything more than a few words. I mainly work on a laptop, I made sure of getting the widest screen possible to be able to see both source and target texts at the same time without straining my eyes.

Maybe you dictate your work so
... See more
OK, I have sent a quick translation or two of a word or short phrase using my phone when the client has an urgent question and I'm out of the house.

I fail to see how it would be possible to produce quality work on a smartphone when you have anything more than a few words. I mainly work on a laptop, I made sure of getting the widest screen possible to be able to see both source and target texts at the same time without straining my eyes.

Maybe you dictate your work so you only need to see the source?

Once my partner has retired I hope we will be able to travel in warmer climes and I fully intend to keep working, however I don't see that as a reason to dispense with a laptop. Even with my wide screen it really doesn't take up that much room, and my work is important, so it deserves to be performed correctly. I really don't see how you can achieve a decent quality of translation on such a small screen, and I'm pretty sure it could be bad for your health to forego decent working conditions.

[Edited at 2018-03-18 21:42 GMT]
Collapse

Jorge Payan
Erwin van Wouw

Nicolas Bianchi
Nicolas Bianchi  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to French
+ ...
If you export the file as bilingual document... May 31, 2018

... you could use ans smartphone supporting Word and Dictation.

That’s how I would do it. Typing would be too cumbersome.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:22
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Umbrella May 31, 2018

You would need a phone that expands like an umbrella and becomes a full-size computer. Hasn't been invented yet but I'm sure someone is working on it.

Rachel Waddington
Michelle Gress
Jorge Payan
Christine Andersen

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
no budget May 31, 2018

Although I did translate via HTC Desire Z (a slider), for convenience the screen should be at least 5-7" for short sessions or about 10"+ with a QWERTY keyboard for longer ones, which already makes... a netbook. Of course, the screen quality (type) is also very important.

Nowadays it's possible to connect even some cheap Android models to 40"+ TV/monitor and wireless/external keyboards, so they may be ok for cross-platform (J
... See more
Although I did translate via HTC Desire Z (a slider), for convenience the screen should be at least 5-7" for short sessions or about 10"+ with a QWERTY keyboard for longer ones, which already makes... a netbook. Of course, the screen quality (type) is also very important.

Nowadays it's possible to connect even some cheap Android models to 40"+ TV/monitor and wireless/external keyboards, so they may be ok for cross-platform (JAVA) and online CATs, yet not while traveling; not to mention dictating and handwriting. Why, one may tolerate some UMPS (Ultra mobile PC) like HTC Shift X9500, but is it really worth it?

I think very a netbook or a pad would do nicely, not a smartphone.

[Edited at 2018-05-31 14:49 GMT]
Collapse

Lian Pang
Lian Pang  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2018)
English to Chinese
+ ...
:D May 31, 2018

Tom in London wrote:

You would need a phone that expands like an umbrella and becomes a full-size computer. Hasn't been invented yet but I'm sure someone is working on it.

Where is the like button when I need it

Rachael Clayton

Rachael Clayton
Rachael Clayton  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:22
French to English
+ ...
Not quite Jun 18, 2019

Tom in London wrote:

Maybe Mary Poppins has one of those in her carpet bag! Joking aside, 2019 has brought us the Galaxy Fold https://www.techradar.com/uk/reviews/samsung-galaxy-fold-hands-on

Sorry for bringing the thread back up.

Michelle Gress

Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
English to German
@Rachael Jun 19, 2019

Rachael, thanks for the information, I might just try that!

Sunny greetings,
Ricki with the construction-worker hands

Rachael Clayton

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 14:22
Chinese to English
+ ...
Galaxy Fold Jun 19, 2019

The Galaxy Fold is already dead.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Paper and pencil Jun 20, 2019

I hate smart phones generally, and the only redeeming feature with mine is that it shows pictures of my grandchild…
So I do what I can to avoid smart phones…

I can still translate with paper and pencil, especially as the said smart phone can be used in emergencies as a dictionary.
Then I can type the finally edited version of the translation when I get back online.

Paper is so convenient - no batteries, no Wi-Fi, and it is easily recycled.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Cecilia Jun 20, 2019

CeciliaKl wrote:
I would like to find a smartphone that I could use to do translating work (on Word or Excel mostly)...

Do you use any CAT tools?

I don't think it's practical to do translation (or any kind of comprehensive document editing) on a smart phone. The smart phone works well if you use an app in which you only have to concentrate on typing in a box.

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Wherewithal Jun 20, 2019

I don't like even 12"+ tablets. so if a lengthy urgent job catches me while traveling, I'd rather refer the client to a colleague or ask my colleague to help me, so any working phone is the best)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is the best smartphone to work on when no laptop/tablet is available?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »