Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:23
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
The ITI is a reputable organisation Dec 14, 2015

I don't understand everything in your post, so I don't know quite how I should answer, but the ITI is a perfectly reputable organisation. However, there's absolutely no requirement to join it, or any other organisation, to be a translator in the UK (or elsewhere). Like many other countries, the UK does not regulate our profession at all. There are no legal requirements beyond the normal ones of paying taxes and social security contributions on your income. No registration (other than as self-emp... See more
I don't understand everything in your post, so I don't know quite how I should answer, but the ITI is a perfectly reputable organisation. However, there's absolutely no requirement to join it, or any other organisation, to be a translator in the UK (or elsewhere). Like many other countries, the UK does not regulate our profession at all. There are no legal requirements beyond the normal ones of paying taxes and social security contributions on your income. No registration (other than as self-employed, for the purpose of those payments to the state mentioned above), no certification, just transparency.

Now, about this company with which you are thinking of collaborating.

lilviv wrote:
They want me to sign a contract in order to work for them. In the contract it states I "need to maintain certification or registration". Do you maybe know what they mean? I will ask them of course, but I just wanted your expert opinion.

No, I don't know. It's never been in any contract I've signed with a client. As such, I'd be very suspicious, personally.

But then I've had enough experience to know that in this game there's an inverse correlation between the need for paperwork and the quality of the relationship. Clearly, you need to get everything down in black and white at the outset. You can't start a relationship on mutual trust - that would be naïve. But the freelancer having to "declare this" and "prove that", while the contract puts very little obligation on the client to do anything (even pay!), is a non-starter in my book. I would research this agency's reputation very carefully if I were you. And not just in places where all feedback is from translators who have accepted work from them.
Collapse

Sydney7
Sydney7
United Kingdom
Where to start Jan 1, 2016

Hi
Just wondering if anyone could let me know where to start to get some qualification to become interpreter ?
What courses or study in need to finish ?????
Have no idea what to do with my life at the moment but I do know I would like to secure my future and the kids so was thinking I do speak two languages so maybe I could put that in use but don't know where to start , what qualification I need , any help or advise appreciate , thanks
Sydney

Sheila Wilson
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Which languages? Jan 2, 2016

Could you share a little more information, Sydney? If we knew what your native language was, and the other language (and your level in it), we'd be in a much better position to help. Could I ask you to complete a few of those basic fields in your profile, or here if you prefer?

Sydney7
Sydney7
United Kingdom
Translator in the UK Jan 2, 2016

Hi
My first language is polish , I moved to England over 10 years ago don't have any English qualification ,haven't finish any English courses or school / collage , just nothing I don't think my polish papers will count , I was study law in Poland on university for only year before I moved to England so the only one paper I have is that I finish high school / collage in Poland and this certificat in Poland let you applay for university but I think it worthless here . Just don't know where
... See more
Hi
My first language is polish , I moved to England over 10 years ago don't have any English qualification ,haven't finish any English courses or school / collage , just nothing I don't think my polish papers will count , I was study law in Poland on university for only year before I moved to England so the only one paper I have is that I finish high school / collage in Poland and this certificat in Poland let you applay for university but I think it worthless here . Just don't know where to start ,what I need if I would like to become interpreter , any advice appreciate , thanks for you replay
I can't speak any other language well I should say my German was pretty good before 17 years ago but can't remember anything now but if it's better know more then one language I would definitely take some lessons .
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
You could start a business, but would it be successful? Jan 4, 2016

Sydney7 wrote:
Have no idea what to do with my life at the moment but I do know I would like to secure my future and the kids so was thinking I do speak two languages so maybe I could put that in use

Certainly translating, interpreting and language teaching are three options that are particularly suitable careers for some people who relocate. I've done all three, personally, since leaving the UK, though I very quickly gave up all wish to interpret. Even if you're good, any freelancing activity is fraught with possible problems. It isn't "a job" with guaranteed income to support you and your family; it's a business that might succeed or might fail at any moment, and will certainly come with its fair share of uncertainty. Your business will almost certainly take a year or two to become profitable, and there are many reasons why it doesn't always work out.

First of all, let's dispel the myth that everyone who speaks two languages is a linguist, capable of translating and/or interpreting for a living. It's just that: a myth.

Then, the two activities are very different and it's reasonably rare to find a person who is very good at both, and enjoys doing both.
- A translator has to be prepared to be isolated with their computer and books, doing lots of research, chasing down the slightest details and nuances, striving for near-perfection... Their target writing skills have to be far better than those of an average native speaker of the language.
- An interpreter has to be able to think on his/her feet, be outgoing and at ease in social and professional situations and in the company of strangers, be able to handle the stress of the moment... Their comprehension of the B language must be phenomenal and the equivalent in the A language must always be ready and waiting. Of course, for interpreters who work in both directions, that means they have to be truly bilingual - equally at ease in both languages, whatever the situation.
My first language is polish , I moved to England over 10 years ago don't have any English qualification ,haven't finish any English courses or school / collage , just nothing I don't think my polish papers will count , I was study law in Poland on university for only year before I moved to England so the only one paper I have is that I finish high school / collage in Poland and this certificat in Poland let you applay for university but I think it worthless here

Well, you'll certainly need to have some training then if you're to be accepted as an interpreter. As a translator, a little more depends on your ability to express yourself clearly in Polish, but it sounds as though your English will probably need work. Just look at it from the point of view of the client: what can you offer in the way of giving him/her confidence in your ability to get the job done?

The only advice I can really give is to contact the ITI and ask them: http://www.iti.org.uk/

Sydney7
Sydney7
United Kingdom
Thanks Jan 5, 2016

Hi
Thank you for your advice , it sounds bad but I'm going to try ,

MileneD
MileneD
United Kingdom
Polish to English
+ ...
Formal translating qualification Mar 18, 2016

Hi, I am just going to start soon as interpreter/translator (Polish/English). I have a Level 3 Award in Community Interpreting. I have experience in translating but no formal qualification. I was planning to go on the Community Translation course with Mary Ward Centre, but due to low number of applicants, they will not run this course. I know I could probably go for Diploma in Translation, but in the meantime it is a bit too expensive for me (I am unemployed). My question is, would there be any ... See more
Hi, I am just going to start soon as interpreter/translator (Polish/English). I have a Level 3 Award in Community Interpreting. I have experience in translating but no formal qualification. I was planning to go on the Community Translation course with Mary Ward Centre, but due to low number of applicants, they will not run this course. I know I could probably go for Diploma in Translation, but in the meantime it is a bit too expensive for me (I am unemployed). My question is, would there be any other short course giving even a basic formal qualification in translating? Thanks.Collapse

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 09:23
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Prepare thoroughly for the Diploma in Translation (Dip. Trans). Mar 18, 2016

The Dip. Trans. is a highly respected qualification, so I would encourage anyone who seriously wants to translate to go for it.

However, it does cost money to register and sit it, so you need to be well prepared, with good chances of passing. You can ask for earlier papers, to practise on, and you may be able to find courses where you can prepare. Someone mentioned above that the failure rate was high years ago, and the standards are still high, so people do not always pass all the
... See more
The Dip. Trans. is a highly respected qualification, so I would encourage anyone who seriously wants to translate to go for it.

However, it does cost money to register and sit it, so you need to be well prepared, with good chances of passing. You can ask for earlier papers, to practise on, and you may be able to find courses where you can prepare. Someone mentioned above that the failure rate was high years ago, and the standards are still high, so people do not always pass all the papers at the first try.

Luckily, you don't officially need it, so you can work for clients and gather experience while you are training.

If you can find work of almost any kind, you will be surprised later on how useful the experience is. Shop work may give you an insight into what goes on behind the scenes, marketing, special products and so on, depending on the shop and what kind of work you do. I worked as an unqualified auxiliary in the home-care service for some years, and actually learned a lot about the health service in the process.

Quite apart from anything else, it pays the bills until you get your translation skills up to par. It is not easy to juggle two jobs AND meet tight deadlines, so you need to be organised and preferably have plenty of moral support from your family, but in the long run it can be very satisfying.
Collapse

MileneD
MileneD
United Kingdom
Polish to English
+ ...
Not the answer I am looking for... Mar 19, 2016

Thanks for your reply Christine but this really does not address my issue.

ewik86
ewik86
United Kingdom
What's the next step? Mar 22, 2016

Hi everyone,

I've been living in UK for three years now and I've recently started thinking of changing a career path. I have a Master's in English obtained by a Polish university, I'm fluent in both Polish and English. I feel that translation and interpretation might be fields for me. Should I acquire any other qualifications in terms of translation or can I apply for translation jobs already? Will I have any chance succeeding without any UK certification of my skills as a translato
... See more
Hi everyone,

I've been living in UK for three years now and I've recently started thinking of changing a career path. I have a Master's in English obtained by a Polish university, I'm fluent in both Polish and English. I feel that translation and interpretation might be fields for me. Should I acquire any other qualifications in terms of translation or can I apply for translation jobs already? Will I have any chance succeeding without any UK certification of my skills as a translator?
Collapse

liz askew
liz askew  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
The importance of qualifications if you want to be a translator in the UK Mar 22, 2016

Hi,
Well, I was born in the UK and have been a medical translator for approximately 15 Years (French and Spanish into English). Whenever I have worked for a client, whether they be private or an agency, I have always been asked to provide evidence of my language qualifications, in this case a B.A. (Hons) in Modern Languages, plus a few other certificates.

So, the idea that anybody can set themselves up as a translator in the UK without a language qualification and gain regula
... See more
Hi,
Well, I was born in the UK and have been a medical translator for approximately 15 Years (French and Spanish into English). Whenever I have worked for a client, whether they be private or an agency, I have always been asked to provide evidence of my language qualifications, in this case a B.A. (Hons) in Modern Languages, plus a few other certificates.

So, the idea that anybody can set themselves up as a translator in the UK without a language qualification and gain regular clients would surprise me.

Also, as a translator for an agency, you have to sign no end of confidentiality agreements, so how could you do this without a language qualification, which is what any decent translation agency asks for!

Liz Askew

[Edited at 2016-03-22 22:21 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-03-22 22:22 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-03-22 22:24 GMT]
Collapse

Bella da Cunha
Bella da Cunha
United Kingdom
Translating official documents May 9, 2016

This a question to Lucia Collins

Hello Lucia

Does the Portuguese Consulate in London accept freelance translations of documents or must be done by certified translators? And what these might be?

Obrigada

Bella

pantagigo
pantagigo
North Macedonia
Official Court Translator - Work in UK Oct 30, 2016

Hello everybody,

Im so glad to become e member of this forum.

I have some question to ask and need advice please.

Im Official Court translator from Macedonian to English, Serbian and Bulgarian language and opposite.
I was appointed for Official Court translator with certificates issued by teh Ministry of Justice of Republic of Macedonia.
Im Official Court translator from 1997 with my own official court translator stamp

In these almo
... See more
Hello everybody,

Im so glad to become e member of this forum.

I have some question to ask and need advice please.

Im Official Court translator from Macedonian to English, Serbian and Bulgarian language and opposite.
I was appointed for Official Court translator with certificates issued by teh Ministry of Justice of Republic of Macedonia.
Im Official Court translator from 1997 with my own official court translator stamp

In these almost 20 years of experience as Official Court translator a have translated a tones of documents, in any field, many certificates, official documents etc etc.
I officially translate a tons of documents to people from Macedonia who need them for UK and USA.
I use to work two years for a UK company in Macedonia as translator and personal assistant to the managing director.
I collaborate for 19 years with Public Notaries.
I collaborate for 19 years with our Courts, often translating official documents, interpreting when they have some problems with foreigners who make some problems here or traffic accidents.
I collaborate with police for 19 years as a interpreter, specially when some foreigners have problems with the law in Macedonia.
I collaborate with local community, take a part as a official translator in marriages between EU citizens and Macedonians, specially from EU, UK and USA.
I was engaged as official court translator in some court cases in other countries etc etc...
I was engaged as a official court translator by the Public notaries and officials in opening a foreign companies in Macedonia.
Simply, I work as a official court translator from English, Serbian and Bulgarian language for almost 20 years and I have a huge experience.

My question is:

Can I work as a official translator in UK ?

Thank you in advance...
With love from Macedonia.. !!

[Edited at 2016-10-30 14:30 GMT]
Collapse

AltoSignificado
AltoSignificado
Local time: 02:23
Spanish to English
+ ...
Can I work as a certified translator in the UK if I have a foreign degree? Jan 11, 2017

I'm Mexican and just moved to the UK. I have BA Degree in Translation (English-Spanish-English) from a Mexican University, and I have been working as such for 13 years. I'm also a certified translator, which means (in Mexico) that I presented and passed the exam applied by the Supreme Court to be authorized to translate official legal documents (such as certificates of death, birth, marriage; contracts; powers of attorney; articles of incorporation; meeting minutes; etc.), so I stamp and sign ev... See more
I'm Mexican and just moved to the UK. I have BA Degree in Translation (English-Spanish-English) from a Mexican University, and I have been working as such for 13 years. I'm also a certified translator, which means (in Mexico) that I presented and passed the exam applied by the Supreme Court to be authorized to translate official legal documents (such as certificates of death, birth, marriage; contracts; powers of attorney; articles of incorporation; meeting minutes; etc.), so I stamp and sign every document I translate, and I can act as an expert witness in translation matters.
My question is the same a Pantagigo (which I see has got no answer): With this experience and degree/certification, can I be considered a qualified/certified translator in the UK? Or do I have to study a diploma here to get the qualifications?
Thanks a lot for your help.
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
The answer has been given Jan 11, 2017

tradeesse wrote:
My question is the same a Pantagigo (which I see has got no answer): With this experience and degree/certification, can I be considered a qualified/certified translator in the UK? Or do I have to study a diploma here to get the qualifications?

This was answered very clearly by Jack Doughty back in 2012, one of the first posts in this thread.

What exactly applies to you in respect of your right to authorise documents for your own country's use now that you're living elsewhere, I've no idea.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Becoming a certified translator in the UK - help needed

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »