Online Certifications
Thread poster: Lucia_Lagos
Lucia_Lagos
Lucia_Lagos
Chile
English to Spanish
Nov 27, 2016

Hi.

I want to become a professional translator. I've translated a couple of books via Babelcube, but I want to be able to apply to other jobs in the future.

I want to know what kind of online certifications are there. I've looked in the forums, but there is so much information for a newcomer that is confusing.

I live in Chile and want to translate from English to Spanish.

What do you advice?

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:41
English to Spanish
+ ...
Online anything Nov 28, 2016

If you're serious about working as a professional translator, don't waste your time with online certifications. Go (back) to college, get a solid degree (not necessarily in translation). Keep improving your writing in both English and Spanish. Good luck.

Lucia_Lagos
Lucia_Lagos
Chile
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thank You! Nov 28, 2016

I see. So, having skills seems more important than proving to have them. That's good news. I believe I have a couple of years of hard work ahead.

Thank you for the advice, Mario.

sztyblewsky1997
sztyblewsky1997
English to French
+ ...
I don't know about the "have a degree in just anything" part Mar 16, 2018

Mario Chavez wrote:

If you're serious about working as a professional translator, don't waste your time with online certifications. Go (back) to college, get a solid degree (not necessarily in translation). Keep improving your writing in both English and Spanish. Good luck.

I don't know about the "not necessarily in translation" part because you will be competing with people who majored in Translation or Languages or Linguistics or something like. Or English or Spanish. I mean, I have a degree in Biomaterials Engineering but I can't seem to break in to the fields of translating scientific works and I can do French-English, English-French, Spanish-French, Spanish-English, German-French and German-English. I'm on Babelcube right now because "royalties only" is better than absolutely nothing.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Online Certifications

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »