Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >
Too good to be true offer (payable in crypto)
Thread poster: Mireille BOULANGER
Veronica Rodriguez
Veronica Rodriguez  Identity Verified
Panama
Local time: 06:44
Member (2022)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Scam Warning: Chiara [email protected] Dec 18, 2023

Hi Everyone,

This person contacted me via Proz.com, so it seemed like a "legitimate request."
Her email address: Chiara Nortest
You may find below the whole first email I received from her.

We initiated communication, but I felt something was off when she didn't provide an address to complete a Service Order form and refused to arrange payment through any platform other than SScrypto.net
Thank God I found this forum to see similar cases and sur
... See more
Hi Everyone,

This person contacted me via Proz.com, so it seemed like a "legitimate request."
Her email address: Chiara Nortest
You may find below the whole first email I received from her.

We initiated communication, but I felt something was off when she didn't provide an address to complete a Service Order form and refused to arrange payment through any platform other than SScrypto.net
Thank God I found this forum to see similar cases and survive the thread.

I attached the first page of the document she sent me. It was supposed to be a 14-page ENG-SPA project.

Proz could implement additional layers of protection for its membership using its PayProz platform. For example, a guarantee payment and mandatory escrow funds enough to cover the requested service (based on a standard fee). It should be available to be deposited to the language professional with whom the negotiation is done. In case of scams reported, losing all funds and using it to compensate somehow, whoever felt on this scam.

Be watchful, take care.

---
Dear Translator,

We hope this message finds you well. We are reaching out to
you with a fantastic freelance translation opportunity that
aligns perfectly with your expertise. Our project involves
translating finance/economic/politic topic for 5000 words.
The text is in image format, you also need to convert them
into editable text

What we offer:

Competitive pay with attractive compensation terms.
Flexible deadlines to accommodate your schedule.
Interesting and diverse content that will showcase your
linguistic prowess.
Supportive and collaborative project management.

If you are interested in contributing your skills to this
exciting project, please reply to this email with your
updated resume and a brief overview of your translation
experience. We will also consider the resumes of newcomers
to provide them with work experience and motivation
We look forward to the possibility of working together and
creating something exceptional.

Best regards,
Chiara

-----------
Author: Chiara Nortest
[NOTE: The author is not a registered ProZ.com user or was not logged in when sending this message.]
Author's IP address: 185.177.126.151
Message type: Job-related
-----------
Collapse

Rosabel Torrellas
Rosabel Torrellas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:44
Member (2021)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thank you for the information Dec 19, 2023

I also received the same offer for translations from Chiara Nortest and found it very strange. Also, the payment is in cryptocurrencies. I agree to get some protection from ProZ in these situations.

John Presime
John Presime  Identity Verified
Dominican Republic
Local time: 07:44
English to Spanish
+ ...
They just scamed me :( Oh my Gosh, What am I supposed to do. Used a money that was even mine Dec 21, 2023

they just scamed... Dec 21

I have received last week the same email everyone in this thread has received. This time is from Chiara Nortest.
I got to the point where she asked me to register at SSCrypto.net. I did, I translated the file, received paymentand want to withdraw so deposited and know no answer from Chiara.

Irene Palmer Bautista
Irene Palmer Bautista  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 13:44
English to Spanish
+ ...
I received the same e-mail from "Mireya Molina" Jan 5

I received an offer via my ProZ profile. After replying and stating my availability, this is the answer I got (similar to other replies I see on this forum):

"I am sending you an archive with files for translation below. Files in scan format, jpg high quality. Deadline is next Friday 12.1 1pm CET.
Final files required in pdf and docx formats. The translated version should be kept as close as possible to the original in terms of the style used
Payment for this task is 750
... See more
I received an offer via my ProZ profile. After replying and stating my availability, this is the answer I got (similar to other replies I see on this forum):

"I am sending you an archive with files for translation below. Files in scan format, jpg high quality. Deadline is next Friday 12.1 1pm CET.
Final files required in pdf and docx formats. The translated version should be kept as close as possible to the original in terms of the style used
Payment for this task is 750(it is about 0.15 per word for 5000 words) EUR, +5% to pay off all commissions when exchanging funds.
One unusual detail is that the budget is provided in cryptocurrency and this is the only way I can pay. But you don't have to worry about this, I provide full support in receiving the payment and converting it into fiat currency into your bank account or PayPal
I can do the prepayment for your safety because I am not a ProZ user and new to the field. Then you can start. If you will be need help with withdraw and exchange to fiat currency I am glad to help you with it.
Let's discuss what questions you have at the moment."

The sender's name appears as "Mireya Molina" and she doesn't even have a profile on ProZ. She has been using Proton Mail throughout the correspondence.

Watch out for these scammers.
Collapse

Alexandre Oberlin

Javier Gómez
Javier Gómez  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:44
English to Spanish
Olivia is now Mireya Jan 5

I received the same message that was posted above (0.15 EUR per word, finance content, BTC, etc.) from a Mireya Molina too. Payment in crypto sounded suspicious from the beginning.

[Edited at 2024-01-05 15:20 GMT]

Renato Glória
Renato Glória
Brazil
Local time: 08:44
Member (2023)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I wasn't that lucky :oops: Jan 10

So guys, at least most of you didn't exactly fall for it... I fell almost entirely.
In my case, as I have just started in the translation business, still looking for my first gig, I found an offer on the Upwork app.
A lady told me to contact her secretary by telegram, and she'd give further instructions about the project.
They needed an EN>PT translation for a book about Korean Art, by The Korea Foundation (which is legit).
The secretary told me they needed it translated
... See more
So guys, at least most of you didn't exactly fall for it... I fell almost entirely.
In my case, as I have just started in the translation business, still looking for my first gig, I found an offer on the Upwork app.
A lady told me to contact her secretary by telegram, and she'd give further instructions about the project.
They needed an EN>PT translation for a book about Korean Art, by The Korea Foundation (which is legit).
The secretary told me they needed it translated for a presentation in one week!
She sent me a file with 80 screenshots of pages from the book.
The offer was 25 USD per page, totaling 2000 USD for the 80 pages. Yeah, I fell for that...
I spent my entire week working on it.
When I sent her the file, she told me to contact her agent from "First Touch Monument Bank" for the payment. Only then I realized it was a scam... the guy, also on telegram, was just called "AGENT", with some random pictures of PC screens with money charts, invoices, all that stuff. He then proceeded to ask me for personal and financial information that surely wasn't necessary for the payment. Of course I didn't give it to him and immediately left the conversation. I mean, HELLO!, how stupid can one be, right? LOL
So, that's it, they scammed me not for money, but for a good one week of my life.
At least I think I've got some 5 years' worth of experience in one week LOL
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth
Fabrice Ndie

Nuria Ollero
Nuria Ollero  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2020)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not totally scammed, but I did the job... Jan 15

Hello everyone... It is very sad to me to read all this thread. I did not know that ProZ had this kind of "Scam alert" forum... To sum up, it seems that I have been partially scammed...

Some weeks ago I received the same e-mail from Chiara Nortest and the warning that I was going to be paid in crypto, but she would provide all the info to change it to fiat... Well, she sent me the money to SSCrypto and I did all the translation (more than 4k words). Now that I was going to change it
... See more
Hello everyone... It is very sad to me to read all this thread. I did not know that ProZ had this kind of "Scam alert" forum... To sum up, it seems that I have been partially scammed...

Some weeks ago I received the same e-mail from Chiara Nortest and the warning that I was going to be paid in crypto, but she would provide all the info to change it to fiat... Well, she sent me the money to SSCrypto and I did all the translation (more than 4k words). Now that I was going to change it into fiat and I had some doubts I randomly found this thread...

I did not even get to the point of being asked to send money to this SSCrypto account to "release" the money received from the task submitted, so I guess I have to feel lucky. At least I only wasted my time :'( not plus 240 USD to "transfer" funds.

Reading the thread, I see that at the beginning the supposed website used by this scammer to send the payment was https://cryptocoii.com, and later https://sscrypto.net/ (this one is what I received). Now I see that both are clearly the same, they have EVEN the SAME LAYOUT! So it seems that the scammer has built these 2 websites, right? Does anyone has had more info about this?

Thank you!
Collapse

Martin Book
Martin Book  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Quite elaborate Jan 15

I have received a similar email. My rule is "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is".

Several things tipped me off but other things made it seem legitimate.

Seemed legitimate because
-the website was real sscrypto.net
-the company they told me they are from (after I asked) exists in His Majesty's Revenue Service
-nothing seemed to be asked of me other than the translation

Things that tipped me off
-Very quickly agreed to us
... See more
I have received a similar email. My rule is "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is".

Several things tipped me off but other things made it seem legitimate.

Seemed legitimate because
-the website was real sscrypto.net
-the company they told me they are from (after I asked) exists in His Majesty's Revenue Service
-nothing seemed to be asked of me other than the translation

Things that tipped me off
-Very quickly agreed to use me as their translator - normally they have asked several and therefore want more information before they proceed
-Were OK with paying in advance 750 €
-Didn't mention a company name before I asked
-Referred to her 'boss' and never used a name for him

Than I finally found you here, after finding a 'scamalert' about the website (sscrypto.net) via a search engine.

Very good to have found ProZ and this thread.

So the scam is that they put a number in your 'wallet' and then have you send money to the same 'wallet' to get your money.

Another 750 € would have been great, though...

Have a nive day!

Cordially,
Martin
Collapse

Dan Lucas

Lucas Pocis
Lucas Pocis
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
[SCAM] When dealing with crypto, you don't need to create a new wallet Jan 16

This is possibly a scam, I also have received the same email:

"Dear translator,

We are thrilled to extend an official invitation for a
freelance translation project focusing on finance,
economics, and politics. We require your expertise in
translating approximately 4600 words from scans into your
native language.

This opportunity is open to both beginners and experienced
translators. It provides a chance to delve into diverse... See more
This is possibly a scam, I also have received the same email:

"Dear translator,

We are thrilled to extend an official invitation for a
freelance translation project focusing on finance,
economics, and politics. We require your expertise in
translating approximately 4600 words from scans into your
native language.

This opportunity is open to both beginners and experienced
translators. It provides a chance to delve into diverse
texts and expand your knowledge in these domains.

Your role will involve accurately translating the content
while preserving the original meaning and context. We value
attention to detail, linguistic proficiency, and adherence
to deadlines.

If you are interested, please respond with your relevant
experience, along with your rates per word or hour.
Additionally, kindly provide samples of your previous work
in this field.

We look forward to collaborating with you on this exciting
project.

Best regards,
Mireya
"

When dealing with cryptocurrencies, you don't need to have a wallet on the same site or app as the other person. All you need is an address, similar to how emails work. For instance, I use Binance and Metamask, both of which provide me with addresses to receive BTC, ETH, BNB, USDT, and other cryptocurrencies. It doesn't matter if the person sending me the crypto has an account on Metamask or Binance; they just need to have my cryptocurrency address. This address varies for each currency; my BTC has a different address than my ETH on Binance, and the same goes for USDT and other cryptocurrencies.

Please be aware of potential scams, including the following example of how this scam might work:

You create an account on SSCrypto (which, if you search for it, you won't find much information about—a red flag indicating potential deception). They deposit money into your wallet, but to retrieve the funds, you must deposit a sum to "verify" the newly created wallet. Upon depositing the sum, your SSCrypto wallet may be left without funds. This is a speculative description of the potential scam, so exercise caution and do not fall victim to such schemes. Remember that when dealing with crypto, you can continue using the wallets you already have, in other words, you don't have to create another wallet.
Collapse

Fabrice Ndie
Ana Valerio

Svante Malmström
Svante Malmström
Finland
Local time: 14:44
English to Swedish
+ ...
Still active Jan 17

Irene Palmer Bautista wrote:

Payment for this task is 750(it is about 0.15 per word for 5000 words) EUR, +5% to pay off all commissions when exchanging funds.
One unusual detail is that the budget is provided in cryptocurrency and this is the only way I can pay. But you don't have to worry about this, I provide full support in receiving the payment and converting it into fiat currency into your bank account or PayPal
I can do the prepayment for your safety because I am not a ProZ user and new to the field. Then you can start. If you will be need help with withdraw and exchange to fiat currency I am glad to help you with it.
Let's discuss what questions you have at the moment."

The sender's name appears as "Mireya Molina" and she doesn't even have a profile on ProZ. She has been using Proton Mail throughout the correspondence.

Watch out for these scammers.

I recieved the exact same message from this Mireya Molina. Thankful to find this thread before proceeding.

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
since the thread asking about "Fine & Bold" being legit has disappeared... Jan 22

On their website they use "contentS" and "copiES", which even to me, a non-native English speaker, sounds at least strange.
Their price calculator states that translating 1000 words costs 500 USD...
On the site it reads they are in Ukraine but their directors (pics there but no names) rather seem to be from Asian contries...
No legal notes on the site...
uhm

When doing a domain lookup you get:
Domain Name: FINE-AND-BOLD.COM
Registry Domain ID:
... See more
On their website they use "contentS" and "copiES", which even to me, a non-native English speaker, sounds at least strange.
On the site it reads they are in Ukraine but their directors (pics there but no names) rather seem to be from Asian contries...
uhm

Registry Domain ID: 2766993620_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: https://who-is.whogohost.com
Registrar URL: http://https://www.whogohost.com/
Updated Date: 2023-05-22T02:16:00Z
Creation Date: 2023-03-22T06:41:07Z
Registry Expiry Date: 2024-03-22T06:41:07Z
Registrar: Whogohost Limited
Registrar IANA ID: 3954
Registrar Abuse Contact Email:
Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: +23470022332233
Domain Status: ok https://icann.org/epp#ok
Name Server: DNS1.NAMECHEAPHOSTING.COM
Name Server: DNS2.NAMECHEAPHOSTING.COM

Phone number seems to be in Nigeria (this is the company that registered the domain name).
https://partnernoc.cpanel.net/res/8211/whogohost.htm
Collapse

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
adding Jan 22

Zea_Mays wrote:

uhm

Phone number seems to be in Nigeria (this is the company that registered the domain name).

Check if their statement about their reviews on Trustpilot or GoodFirms is true. (spoiler: it seems it is not)
https://www.fine-and-bold.com/copy-writing

Eden Oliveira
Eden Oliveira  Identity Verified
Brazil
Member (2023)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I received this message today. Looks like they have a new email address: Jan 23

I noticed the red flags at an early stage and decided to come here to verify it.

------------

On Tue, Jan 23, 2024 at 7:05 AM Josephine Derudder wrote:

Hello!
Thank you for your message!
I am sending you an archive with files for translation below. Files in scan format, jpg high quality. Deadline is next Wednesday 31.1 1pm CET.
Final files required in pdf and docx formats. The translated version should be kept as close as possible to th
... See more
I noticed the red flags at an early stage and decided to come here to verify it.

------------

On Tue, Jan 23, 2024 at 7:05 AM Josephine Derudder wrote:

Hello!
Thank you for your message!
I am sending you an archive with files for translation below. Files in scan format, jpg high quality. Deadline is next Wednesday 31.1 1pm CET.
Payment for this task is 750(it is about 0.15 per word for 5000 words) EUR, +5% to pay off all fee for exchanging funds.
One unusual detail is that the budget is provided in cryptocurrency and this is the only way I can pay. But you don't have to worry about this, I provide full support in receiving the payment and converting it into fiat currency into your bank account or PayPal.
I can do the prepayment for your safety because I am not a Proz user and new to the field. Then you can start. If you will be need help with withdraw and exchange to fiat currency I am glad to help you with it.
We understand that not everyone is familiar with the cryptocurrency field and we can help so that it doesn’t waste a lot of your time.
Let's discuss what questions you have at the moment.
Waiting for you reply!
Josephine

[Editada em 2024-01-23 11:45 GMT]
Collapse

Arne Krueger
Arne Krueger
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Tsss... Jan 23

Zea_Mays wrote:

Zea_Mays wrote:

uhm

Check if their statement about their reviews on Trustpilot or GoodFirms is true. (spoiler: it seems it is not)
https://www.fine-and-bold.com/copy-writing

Fine and bold?? That should tell you something... ahahaha CRAZY STUFF

Arne Krueger
Arne Krueger
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Anybody wanting to be paid in crypto... Jan 23

...should be aware that there are huge risks to it... It is not considered legal tender in most countries.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legality_of_cryptocurrency_by_country_or_territory

You may end up having nothing. Somebody said in the past that it is essentially, "A Limited Supply of Nothing."

So, beware if you de
... See more
...should be aware that there are huge risks to it... It is not considered legal tender in most countries.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legality_of_cryptocurrency_by_country_or_territory

You may end up having nothing. Somebody said in the past that it is essentially, "A Limited Supply of Nothing."

So, beware if you deal with it.

[Bearbeitet am 2024-01-23 21:58 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Too good to be true offer (payable in crypto)

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »