Ventnai
Ventnai  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:51
German to English
+ ...
Jan 4, 2009

Hi

I'll be going to the UK next month and will be taking my laptop. I normally use it in Spain and Germany, but have never taken it to the UK. I'll be using it to work. Do I need a special adapter to ensure it is protected?

Thanks

Ian

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
AC adaptor Jan 4, 2009

Hi Ian,
You will need an adaptor to connect to BS 1363 sockets.

Do I need a special adapter to ensure it is protected?

Not sure what you're referring to here - what sort of protection were you thinking of?

Best, Ralf

Ventnai
Spain
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Adapter Jan 4, 2009

Hi Ralf

Thanks for your answer.

This is the first time I am taking a laptop to the UK. I was really wondering if I needed a special adapter, not just a standard one, to make sure the correct current type or voltage is used. I have used to standard adapters for years, of course, but my father once informed me I was using the wrong adapter for AC electrical equipment - he was an electrician at one time, but doesn't know anything about computers. I just want to make sure I
... See more
Hi Ralf

Thanks for your answer.

This is the first time I am taking a laptop to the UK. I was really wondering if I needed a special adapter, not just a standard one, to make sure the correct current type or voltage is used. I have used to standard adapters for years, of course, but my father once informed me I was using the wrong adapter for AC electrical equipment - he was an electrician at one time, but doesn't know anything about computers. I just want to make sure I'm not going to do anything wrong and ruin my laptop.

Thanks

Ian
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Same voltage - different plugs and sockets Jan 4, 2009

Hi again,
There's no voltage difference (mind you, most modern laptops should work with anything between 100V and 240V), but the plugs are different.

HTH, Ralf

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 03:51
German to English
+ ...
Adapting Jan 4, 2009

As Ralf said, the UK uses the same voltage and *frequency*, so you need not worry. If you have a number of devices you are taking along (mobile phone, laptop, electric shaver, whatever), you might want to take along a plug bar from your country and just use the adapter on it. Since I have a bad tendency to lose small bits of equipment, once I simply replaced the power plug on an multiplug bar with the local version. Adapters should be available for a few euros in your local electronics specialty... See more
As Ralf said, the UK uses the same voltage and *frequency*, so you need not worry. If you have a number of devices you are taking along (mobile phone, laptop, electric shaver, whatever), you might want to take along a plug bar from your country and just use the adapter on it. Since I have a bad tendency to lose small bits of equipment, once I simply replaced the power plug on an multiplug bar with the local version. Adapters should be available for a few euros in your local electronics specialty store or in many of the airport shops on either end of your journey.Collapse

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:51
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
I just did it the other way round Jan 4, 2009

UK to France for three weeks. Used an adapter bought at the airport shop. no problems. If you are using an Internet connection provided by a hotel, you will also need an ethernet cable.

Ventnai
Spain
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Non-standard Jan 4, 2009

Hi all

Thanks for your answers.

Looks like a standard adapter will do. That's really what I needed to know. Used to get adapters from Woolworth's, but I guess I can't do that now

MfG

Ian

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Take a basic screw driver set with you Jan 4, 2009

Ian Jones wrote:
Do I need a special adapter to ensure it is protected?

My answer is somewhat offtopic but I don't mind sharing it. I'm staying in the NL with my ZA laptop for about three months, so I decided to cut off the ZA plug and affix a NL one to it... so no more need for an adaptor, and I can plug in the laptop in tight spaces too. It took three trips to the shop to do it, though, because the NL plug can't be changed with a dinner knife -- you need a real screw driver (you need two, in fact, of different sizes).

Oh and I tripped the main switch once, and I had to wire the plug twice, because I initially thought that green is live and brown is earth, but thankfully without any damage to my laptop. I couldn't Google for it because... laptop needs power first.

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Universal adapters Jan 5, 2009

Samsonite and other companies have designed what they call "universal adapters" ensuring compatibility between equipment from all parts of the world. I have one practically imbedded into my computer bag. Saves me from having to choose between several at any given time.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Adapter for UK

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »