Sebastian Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:05
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
Another example of a mid-range desktop including price Mar 20, 2023

AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 6x 3.9 GHz
be quiet! Pure Rock Slim 2 (supersilent)
16 GB DDR4-3200 MHz (2x8GB) Corsair Vengeance, Dual-Channel
AMD Vega GPU, integrated, DirectX12, FullHD
ASUS PRIME B550M-K, AMD B550, AM4, mATX
Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB (V8V1T0BW) M.2 PCIe 3.0 x4 SSD
1000 GB SATA 3 hard drive (6gb/s)
ATX-Midi Fractal Focus G, white
be quiet! System Power 10 550W, 80+ Bronze
Windows 11 Home, incl. Xbox Pass

€ 789.90 plus € 9.90
... See more
AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 6x 3.9 GHz
be quiet! Pure Rock Slim 2 (supersilent)
16 GB DDR4-3200 MHz (2x8GB) Corsair Vengeance, Dual-Channel
AMD Vega GPU, integrated, DirectX12, FullHD
ASUS PRIME B550M-K, AMD B550, AM4, mATX
Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB (V8V1T0BW) M.2 PCIe 3.0 x4 SSD
1000 GB SATA 3 hard drive (6gb/s)
ATX-Midi Fractal Focus G, white
be quiet! System Power 10 550W, 80+ Bronze
Windows 11 Home, incl. Xbox Pass

€ 789.90 plus € 9.90 postage and packaging

Another 6-core CPU desktop.

[Edited at 2023-03-20 16:49 GMT]
Collapse

Kieran Sheehan
Kieran Sheehan  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2008)
German to English
More important than specs - Buy a business laptop Mar 20, 2023

I would like to suggest that the more important issue here is to buy a business laptop and not a consumer laptop. Business laptops from Lenovo and Dell are generally easier to upgrade and can be turned into a desktop computer by adding a docking station. Any mid-range Lenovo or Dell (even second-hand ones going back a generation or two) should be OK.

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Italian to English
+ ...
One with a matte or anti-glare screen Mar 20, 2023

One with a matte or anti-glare screen. Don't get a home PC with a glossy screen, it'll give you red-eye.
An i5 is fine, with an i7 you have much less battery life if it's a laptop.
SSD is much faster and uses less power.
A backlit keyboard is handy if you work early or late.

Dan Lucas
Jean Dimitriadis
Tom in London

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:05
Member (2008)
Italian to English
that's why Mar 23, 2023

Jo Macdonald wrote:

One with a matte or anti-glare screen. Don't get a home PC with a glossy screen, it'll give you red-eye.

This is SO important.

Nobody who has serious work to do should ever have a reflective screen. That should be the first criterion when choosing a new computer.

It's the main reason why I went for a MacMini. I wanted the Mac operating system but I didn't want a reflective screen.

Jo Macdonald

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 22:05
English to Turkish
A question for Mac People Mar 23, 2023

Would you recommend 8gb ram + 512 gb SSD or 16gb ram + 256 gb SSD for a Mac Mini? Budget can't be extended for 16 gb ram + 512 gb SSD, and the computer will be mostly used for surfing the net, watching stuff on Youtube etc., nothing heavy-duty.

Artem Vakhitov
Artem Vakhitov  Identity Verified
Kyrgyzstan
English to Russian
+ ...
A non-obvious consideration: virtualization Mar 23, 2023

Consider buying a powerful laptop that can run virtual machines well. With a VM, you can avoid losing access to proprietary software that ties its activation to the configuration of your machine. (For example, a certain vendor offers a license for its CAT software that is kind of "perpetual" but only as long as you don't change your machine's configuration too much.) So you'll need min. 16GB RAM, a 4-core CPU (but not just any), and an SSD.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
16gb ram + 256 gb SSD Mar 23, 2023

Baran Keki wrote:

Would you recommend 8gb ram + 512 gb SSD or 16gb ram + 256 gb SSD for a Mac Mini? Budget can't be extended for 16 gb ram + 512 gb SSD, and the computer will be mostly used for surfing the net, watching stuff on Youtube etc., nothing heavy-duty.

16gb ram + 256 gb SSD is what I have which includes my entire archive, dozens of applications etc including CafeTran (my preferred CAT tool) and all my old music files from the time before I started listening to music online (Spotify). But nothing that would take a lot of disk space (movies/videos).

These days I suppose most people do things online that they used to do on their hard drives, so in my opinion unless you work in the video industry you don't need an enormous hard drive. Many also use the Cloud (though I personally don't need it).

So for me 256 GB is more than enough to hold everything, with a decent margin. In fact I'm only using about half of that capacity. Periodically I clean out old files that take up too much space and that I don't really need, using the excellent Grand Perspective (which is free). https://grandperspectiv.sourceforge.net/

Go for it, Baran! The most important thing is the 16GB of RAM. Having a big hard drive is less important.

[Edited at 2023-03-23 21:27 GMT]

Baran Keki

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Slow SSD Mar 24, 2023

Tom in London wrote:

So for me 256 GB is more than enough to hold everything, with a decent margin.

The smaller the SSD, the (s)lower the speed:

https://www.heise.de/news/MacBook-Pro-und-Mac-mini-2023-Langsamere-SSDs-in-Basismodellen-7470983.html

For surfing it will be fast enough though.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
No probs Mar 24, 2023

Hans Lenting wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

So for me 256 GB is more than enough to hold everything, with a decent margin.

https://www.heise.de/news/MacBook-Pro-und-Mac-mini-2023-Langsamere-SSDs-in-Basismodellen-7470983.html

These days I don't think speed is a concern for most computer users- all computers are fast enough for it not to be a problem.

My MacMini is very fast. And it boots up really quickly with almost no wait at all.

Maybe market traders and online gamblers need their computers to be incredibly fast, but I'm neither

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Slow speeds Mar 24, 2023

Hans Lenting wrote:
The smaller the SSD, the (s)lower the speed...

Sure, but by so much that it would affect buying decisions? Here's how five sizes of a current popular SSD compare to each other. The bigger sizes are faster by these percentages:

Samsung 870 Evo
250 GB vs 500 GB = 1% faster
250 GB vs 1 TB = 10% faster
250 GB vs 2 TB = 12% faster
250 GB vs 4 TB = 13% faster

500 GB vs 1 TB = 8% faster
500 GB vs 2 TB = 10% faster
500 GB vs 4 TB = 11% faster

(the 4 TB was benchmarked by fewer than 10% of the users of the other sizes, though)

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Because Mar 24, 2023

Hans Lenting wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

+ an Apple extended keyboard (wired, Italian)

Nice equipment, Thomas!

Just one question, why do you need an Italian keyboard when you translated IT > EN?

Because I'm bilingual and I write a lot in Italian and I need to do a lot of these:

è é ò à ì ù

With an Italian keyboard I can also write in English.

[Edited at 2023-03-24 12:45 GMT]

Baran Keki
Türkiye
English to Turkish
I don't know much about computers but Mar 24, 2023

Hans Lenting wrote:

isn't speed (booting up, bringing up webpages, multitasking etc.) has to do with RAM? I thought SSD was for storage only?

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Yes but Mar 24, 2023

Baran Keki wrote:

Hans Lenting wrote:

isn't speed (booting up, bringing up webpages, multitasking etc.) has to do with RAM? I thought SSD was for storage only?

Yes but they work together. The RAM looks for things on the hard drive, so that it can process them. But that is more a question of how fast the hard drive is - not how big it is. And an SSD hard drive is always going to be fast.

Baran Keki
Türkiye
English to Turkish
Pulled the trigger Mar 28, 2023

Tom in London wrote:
Go for it, Baran! The most important thing is the 16GB of RAM. Having a big hard drive is less important.

I just pulled the trigger on that 16gb ram and 256 SSD on the strength of your recommendation. You can consider yourself to have done a service to Apple, Thomas!

Tom in London

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
You won't regret it Mar 28, 2023

Baran Keki wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

I just pulled the trigger on that 16gb ram and 256 SSD on the strength of your recommendation. You can consider yourself to have done a service to Apple, Thomas!

A good decision. And you can deduct the cost from your taxable income.

[Edited at 2023-03-28 09:33 GMT]

Baran Keki

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New laptop/desktop spec recommendations

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »