Thread poster: Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:34
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Dec 9, 2022

Is Memsource taken over by Phrase (or vice versa)?

https://phrase.com/

I am not sure what to make of it, and what this will mean for us in the future.

Has anybody experience with this 'new' CAT? (if it is a new CAT)

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:34
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
No material change so far Dec 9, 2022

Robert Rietvelt wrote:
Has anybody experience with this 'new' CAT? (if it is a new CAT)

I have been using Phrase for a month or so now. So far the only changes I have noticed compared to Memsource have been in the branding. Functionality seems to be identical. I don't know what the implications are longer term.

Regards,
Dan

Thomas Pfann
Robert Rietvelt
Erwin van Wouw
Stepan Konev

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Rebranding Dec 9, 2022

Robert Rietvelt wrote:
Is Memsource taken over by Phrase (or vice versa)?

According to Jost's newsletter, it's just a rebranding.

It always amazes me when companies decide it is better for them to be more difficult to find in search engines, when they change their unique name to some generic word.

Robert Rietvelt
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Stepan Konev
Dan Lucas
Artem Vakhitov

Vladimir Pochinov
Vladimir Pochinov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Memsource now rebranded as Phrase -- free plan disappeared Dec 9, 2022

If I'm not mistaken, there was a free plan for freelancers. It seems it's not an option now.

Otherwise, it looks the same.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Free plan Dec 9, 2022

The free plan (max 2 documents) disappeared at around May 2022, which was several months before the rebranding.
https://www.memsource.com/pricing/

BabelOn-line
BabelOn-line
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:34
English to French
+ ...
Swiss-Army knife Jan 27, 2023

My understanding is that Memsource has absorbed Phrase. Phrase was the tool to translate "strings" - which I understand are the word contents of software user interface.

Annoyingly for Google searches: it was way easier to look for "how to do this or that" + "Memsource" than teh same + "phrase", which yields unwanted results.

As a user, I am in awe of Phrase. Thier team is great. Only problem: cost and the fact I am often feeling like a chimpanzee who be given an Airbu
... See more
My understanding is that Memsource has absorbed Phrase. Phrase was the tool to translate "strings" - which I understand are the word contents of software user interface.

Annoyingly for Google searches: it was way easier to look for "how to do this or that" + "Memsource" than teh same + "phrase", which yields unwanted results.

As a user, I am in awe of Phrase. Thier team is great. Only problem: cost and the fact I am often feeling like a chimpanzee who be given an Airbus 380 to fly.
Collapse

Annette Christmas
Annette Christmas
Spain
Member (2015)
German to English
+ ...
Using Memsource takes three tims as long now it has merged with Phrase? Feb 18, 2023

Has anyone else found that the rapid, intelligent, streamlined machine translation that Memsource used to offer (e.g. using Deepl TM) has been all but obliterated now that it has been merged with Phrase? I now have to battle with irrelevant insertions, repeated and omitted phrases in every single segment. Finding a thread of meaning among that is a huge and unnecessary challenge. Am I alone in this? Perhaps it is just the rather abstruse text I am translating at the moment?

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Memsource now rebranded as Phrase

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »