Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: How many direct clients (not through an agency) do you have?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 16:43
French to English
. Jan 27, 2022

A quick count shows that I get regular work from six agencies and eight direct clients. The agencies provide the bread and butter and the direct clients provide the Marmite - i.e. you love them or you hate them, but the experience is far richer and more interesting.

Christopher Schröder

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 16:43
French to English
. Jan 27, 2022

Gerard Barry wrote:

How did you get your direct clients in the first place?

Several of mine were clients of the agency I used to work for, who came to me once they realised I was no longer working there.

Proz, LinkedIn, word of mouth, a woman I met through the NGO I volunteer at, people I met at a concert,
And the latest new client is a woman whose dog plays with mine at the dog park!

Christopher Schröder

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 17:43
English to Turkish
Direct clients and payment issues Jan 27, 2022

Direct clients seem to be the holy grail for every translator. But are they as safe as agencies? How do you do your due diligence? And what happens when a direct client that used your services decides not to pay you? Do you give them a low rating on a website somewhere?

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How many direct clients (not through an agency) do you have?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »