Stron w wątku:   < [1 2 3 4] >
Poll: How many books (of any genre) do you own?
Autor wątku: ProZ.com Staff
matt robinson
matt robinson  Identity Verified
Hiszpania
Local time: 20:18
Członek ProZ.com
od 2010

hiszpański > angielski
A lot Feb 3, 2022

Probably between 1000 and 1500, and we gave most of our Spanish fiction away to the village library when it opened some years ago, so it would have been many more. If it were up to me I would only keep those with special significance, but for my partner and one of my daughters that seems to mean all of them, so here they stay.

Christine Andersen

Xinyang Li
Xinyang Li
Australia
Children's books Feb 3, 2022

The most books that I collect is children's books. I love reading children's picture books and collect them for my future children. Don't know if I am the only one who collects children's books. I love to look at the beautiful pictures.

Christine Andersen
tabor

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
Wielka Brytania
Członek ProZ.com
od 2011

szwedzki > angielski
+ ...
Hundreds Feb 3, 2022

I gave away hundreds and hundreds (Passat estate filled to the roof) to a book charity last year when I moved, but I’ve still got shelves full of them.

I’m not sure why I keep them. A few have sentimental value but most will never be re-read. I should probably give them away for environmental reasons as much as anything.

Work-wise, all I have in the office is a Collins English dictionary which I rarely use. I mostly translate on autopilot these days.

polishedwords
polishedwords  Identity Verified
Polska
angielski > polski
Too many Feb 3, 2022

Way too many and certainly more than my apartment can hold. And then, there's also Kindle... These days I seldom buy printed books, unless it's an art publication or something I *really* want to own. Even though I find reading on paper much more relaxing, I mostly resort to a subscription-based ebook service. Signum temporis.

[Zmieniono 2022-02-03 11:12 GMT]

Christine Andersen

Marta Marrero Frías
Marta Marrero Frías
Hiszpania
angielski > hiszpański
I use the public library now :) Feb 3, 2022

I used to buy books but I don't keep all of them. When I find myself buried in books, I tend to donate some of them. However, I have just moved to another city and discovered that the public library here is HUUGE and they have lots of interesting titles! I'm thrilled to read them all! Also, it's a more eco-friendly option #ThereIsNoPlanetB

Kätlin Alasepp
Rachel Waddington
Christopher Schröder
Tom in London

Kätlin Alasepp
Kätlin Alasepp  Identity Verified
Estonia
Local time: 21:18
Członek ProZ.com
od 2016

angielski > estoński
6 books Feb 3, 2022

I just gathered and counted all my books (took me 30 seconds) and it turns out that I have 6. I read almost every day, but I consider myself a minimalist and I'm also quite frugal, so I mostly use libraries or buy used books and donate them after reading.

[Edited at 2022-02-03 11:54 GMT]

Rachel Waddington

Aline Santos
Aline Santos  Identity Verified
Brazylia
Local time: 15:18
angielski > portugalski
+ ...
Not so many... Feb 3, 2022

Around 100, I usually buy books, but I don't keep them

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Dania
Członek ProZ.com
od 2003

duński > angielski
+ ...
A couple of thousand Feb 3, 2022

A couple of thousand, give or take...

At a rough estimate, I have around 300 in the room where I work, which are all language related, but not necessarily work related. Apart from the English and Danish ones I consult regularly, they include my collection of odd - but not entirely useless - dictionaries on food, furniture, energy, birds, architecture ... medical textbooks, legal textbooks, German, French, Dutch, Norwegian and Swedish dictionaries, books on linguistics and translatio
... See more
A couple of thousand, give or take...

At a rough estimate, I have around 300 in the room where I work, which are all language related, but not necessarily work related. Apart from the English and Danish ones I consult regularly, they include my collection of odd - but not entirely useless - dictionaries on food, furniture, energy, birds, architecture ... medical textbooks, legal textbooks, German, French, Dutch, Norwegian and Swedish dictionaries, books on linguistics and translation theory...

In the kitchen I have almost a shelf-metre of cookery books, and I have several (metres) more in the living room, where we have a whole wall of books and a bookshelf in the middle with a hundred volumes or so on glass, art and glass artists, a 25-volume history of the world and a few oversized volumes that don't fit anywhere else.

We have a selection in the guest room - and bookshelves with several hundred books on the staircase. Some are strictly my husband´s or my son´s, but I acknowledge my share of them and we happily read or consult each other´s books.

Those are all real, hard-copy books!

I am a former librarian, but don´t tell anyone The books are roughly organised by subject, but not really systematically - they tend to get shoved in where there is space!

I keep meaning to sort them and read a few, and get rid of most of them... But my favourite client has kept me busy the last six months.

Second-hand books are cheap in English, and some wonderful volumes turn up at Danish jumble sales and in charity shops - I can´t resist them! I do not drink or smoke, but apart from coffee, books are my addiction!
Collapse

Alexandra Speirs

Tom in London
Tom in London
Wielka Brytania
Local time: 19:18
Członek ProZ.com
od 2008

włoski > angielski
Books and millennials Feb 3, 2022

I have been in homes where there isn't a single book. There is a generation of younger people now who don't even know what books are, or what they're for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbRYY7Tr9YY

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
AnnaSCHTR

polskiexpert
polskiexpert
Wielka Brytania
Local time: 19:18
Członek ProZ.com
od 2010

polski > angielski
+ ...
Scale Feb 3, 2022

Wrong scale...

Perhaps it should read:
0-999
1000-1999
2000-2999
etc.

In my case, (0-999) and counting!

Marcin

Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio
Muriel Vasconcellos

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
Wielka Brytania
Członek ProZ.com
od 2011

szwedzki > angielski
+ ...
Ahem… Feb 3, 2022

Tom in London wrote:
There is a generation of younger people now who don't even know what books are, or what they're for.

Nonsense. They still use them in schools all the time.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazylia
Local time: 15:18
Członek ProZ.com
od 2014

angielski > portugalski
+ ...
Funny Feb 3, 2022

This is funny, because my wife is a lawyer and she bought a bunch of old hard-cover good-looking books to place on the selves of her office. So we earn about 500 books, lol!

PS: This is just to say the number of books you have mean absolutely nothing. What matters is the number of books you read, which can be from libraries and not be in your house anymore.

[Edited at 2022-02-04 00:07 GMT]

Christine Andersen
Muriel Vasconcellos

Liena Vijupe
Liena Vijupe  Identity Verified
Łotwa
Local time: 21:18
Członek ProZ.com
od 2014

francuski > łotewski
+ ...
younger people Feb 3, 2022

Tom in London wrote:

I have been in homes where there isn't a single book. There is a generation of younger people now who don't even know what books are, or what they're for.

As an "elderly millennial" (almost 40) I don't have many books at home because I've been moving a lot, often between different countries, and got used to giving most books away every time (among other things). I also read a lot on my e-reader or online and borrow books from library, but I can relate to the sentiment. Seeing bare walls (no books or artwork) makes me sad and I still dream of having my own personal library.

P.L.F. Persio

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
USA
Local time: 12:18
Członek ProZ.com
od 2003

angielski > włoski
+ ...
Several thousands (probably above 5,000) Feb 3, 2022

No idea how many, precisely, but I estimate several thousands books here at home: About five hundred or so between dictionaries, grammars and other reference books in our office upstairs, maybe a couple of thousands on the ground floor (encyclopaedias, non fiction, poetry, French, Spanish and Portuguese books), and a lot more in the basement (art books, fiction and literature, Italian books).

Plus several hundred ebooks, and a couple dozen books borrowed from the local public librar
... See more
No idea how many, precisely, but I estimate several thousands books here at home: About five hundred or so between dictionaries, grammars and other reference books in our office upstairs, maybe a couple of thousands on the ground floor (encyclopaedias, non fiction, poetry, French, Spanish and Portuguese books), and a lot more in the basement (art books, fiction and literature, Italian books).

Plus several hundred ebooks, and a couple dozen books borrowed from the local public libraries.

[Edited at 2022-02-03 17:37 GMT]
Collapse

Jocelin Meunier
Jocelin Meunier  Identity Verified
Francja
angielski > francuski
+ ...
Depends on the format Feb 3, 2022

Physical books, not so much. I would say that there are the same twenty-or-so books I take with me everytime I move. E-books, on the other hand, much more. Cheaper to buy, easier to move. I can't really tell how much books are on my reader, but a lot have been read and I just scratched the surface.

Stron w wątku:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderatorzy tego forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How many books (of any genre) do you own?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »