Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: When did you buy your last new smartphone?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Sebastian Witte
Sebastian Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:58
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
3.5 years ago Dec 2, 2023

Samsung Galaxy S10. Will use it until it breaks.

Aline Brito
Aline Brito  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:58
Member (2020)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I didn't buy my current phone. Dec 9, 2023

Less than two years ago, but it's second hand from my husband (he had it for a year and a half, I think?), who did buy a new one. It serves me perfectly well, since I prefer doing most things on my desktop. I had my previous phone for about 5 years.

Denis Fesik
Denis Fesik
Local time: 13:58
English to Russian
+ ...
Over three years Dec 10, 2023

Didn't have a mobile until the mid-noughties when I got one as a present. When I was in the military, our chef bought himself one and kept talking about how good it was to have a mobile. I was doing compulsory service and had no money, but one guy who was on a contract bought a similar phone and used it so much that somehow incurred a huge debt (don't know how that was even possible). He then sold it with the debt and got beaten up in a couple of days. When I got home, my sister had two p... See more
Didn't have a mobile until the mid-noughties when I got one as a present. When I was in the military, our chef bought himself one and kept talking about how good it was to have a mobile. I was doing compulsory service and had no money, but one guy who was on a contract bought a similar phone and used it so much that somehow incurred a huge debt (don't know how that was even possible). He then sold it with the debt and got beaten up in a couple of days. When I got home, my sister had two phones, and most of the talks I'd hear were about phones and plans, which pissed me off. By now, I've used a handful of smartphones, some were broken, two stolen. Wouldn't mind getting a new one, but my toad is not happy with this ideaCollapse

Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Local time: 12:58
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
4 years Dec 10, 2023

My iPhone could not update any more in 2019 and it became impossible to use certain apps any more, not even bank apps so I had to get a new smartphone. But I did not bother getting an iPhone as they are getting far too expensive and do not last a lot so I got a Xiaomi 9 which has, so far, served me well, though it has now developed a mind of its own such as deleting calls I made or contacts I saved. But I have no intention of getting a new one till |I have to and I would get a slightly bigger o... See more
My iPhone could not update any more in 2019 and it became impossible to use certain apps any more, not even bank apps so I had to get a new smartphone. But I did not bother getting an iPhone as they are getting far too expensive and do not last a lot so I got a Xiaomi 9 which has, so far, served me well, though it has now developed a mind of its own such as deleting calls I made or contacts I saved. But I have no intention of getting a new one till |I have to and I would get a slightly bigger one as it's better for certain things. I broke the screen but I'll leave it like that too as replacing it is too expensive and not worth itCollapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:58
Member (2008)
Italian to English
iPhone Dec 10, 2023

I can't remember when I bought my last iPhone - years ago, a used one: it's an iPhone 7 that can no longer be upgraded to the latest version of iOS.

As soon as it stops being usable, I'll buy another used one - the latest model that can run the most recent version of iOS.

I simply take out the SIM card and put it into the new iPhone.

I would never buy a new iPhone. That's just a craze encouraged by Apple that has somehow tricked millions of people into b
... See more
I can't remember when I bought my last iPhone - years ago, a used one: it's an iPhone 7 that can no longer be upgraded to the latest version of iOS.

As soon as it stops being usable, I'll buy another used one - the latest model that can run the most recent version of iOS.

I simply take out the SIM card and put it into the new iPhone.

I would never buy a new iPhone. That's just a craze encouraged by Apple that has somehow tricked millions of people into believing that a mobile phone is an item of personal adornment and that you MUST always have the latest iPhone or you'll have no friends.

[Edited at 2023-12-10 14:29 GMT]
Collapse

Josephine Cassar

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Supply issues Dec 10, 2023

Tom in London wrote:
.I would never buy a new iPhone. That's just a craze encouraged by Apple that has somehow tricked millions of people into believing that a mobile phone is an item of personal adornment and that you MUST always have the latest iPhone or you'll have no friends.

It’s not really a trick. If nobody bought them new, you wouldn’t be able to buy a used one.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:58
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Suckers Dec 10, 2023

Christopher Schröder wrote:

It’s not really a trick. If nobody bought them new, you wouldn’t be able to buy a used one.

It's a trick played by me. I let those suckers rush out to trade in their old phones so that I can have them.

Christopher Schröder

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: When did you buy your last new smartphone?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »