Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: If you are a Trados user, which version are you currently using?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 17:07
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Got a notice from RWS the other day Mar 6

It said that Studio 2024 will be released this summer.
Not for me. I stay with v2022.
I decided to update only two of my CAT tools, and Studio is not among them.

[Edited at 2024-03-06 08:14 GMT]

Panopticon
Panopticon
Spain
Member (2012)
Spanish to English
2019 Mar 6

I'm using 2019, but I am planning on finally upgrading again this year if a new version is released (does anybody know when that might be?). I can't believe some people are still on the 2007 version, isn't that the one called TagEditor? Ouch! I worked for an agency once that used TagEditor (it was 2012 by that time, though) and it was awful, like looking into the bowels of a piece of software's code with those tags all over the place. It was so obvious that it wasn't created by translators: no t... See more
I'm using 2019, but I am planning on finally upgrading again this year if a new version is released (does anybody know when that might be?). I can't believe some people are still on the 2007 version, isn't that the one called TagEditor? Ouch! I worked for an agency once that used TagEditor (it was 2012 by that time, though) and it was awful, like looking into the bowels of a piece of software's code with those tags all over the place. It was so obvious that it wasn't created by translators: no translator would subject himself or other translators to that eyesore. Hated every second of it. I was much happier when I discovered Studio, with its side-by-side view.

I should add that the only reason I'm updating is because there are new plugins in the AppStore that no longer work with the 2019 version and I would like to make use of some of them but currently can't. If it weren't for that I probably wouldn't bother, as the versions don't really change that much, they usually just add some useless feature that you are never going to use (like "Uplift" in the 2019 version) or which just makes you life harder and enriches agencies at your expense (I'm thinking of that "fuzzy match repair" feature with its absolutely moronic algorithm telling you that it has "fixed" the fuzzy match for you when all it has done is prepare you a nice steaming bowl of nonsensical word soup).

[Edited at 2024-03-06 09:16 GMT]
Collapse

Alex Lichanow

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
I have 2014 Mar 6

Haven't used it for years, though. Hated it.

Nearly all of my work is done in Word, but the rest is done in the cloud using customers' Phrase/MemoQ/own systems, which are vastly better than Studio was.

PS Tags aren't just a TagEditor thing...

Alex Lichanow
Alex Lichanow
Germany
Member (2020)
English to German
+ ...
Studio bugs Mar 6

Lieven Malaise wrote:

On a side note I've never understood all the complaints about bugs. Besides the very rare crash (and even then only when handling very heavy files) I've never had any substantial problems with Trados, that I'm using since the year 2000.

The thing is, at least in my experience, that Trados Studio is the most fundamentally bugged tool among all the major CAT tools (and I mean, Studio is pretty much THE major CAT tool). Sure, they all have their shortcomings, but Trados Studio is the only tool I have in use that has ever crashed on me with any noticeable frequency. Whenever I open 10k words or more, I am more or less gambling on whether or not it will crash, and when it does, the error message is usually something about "OutOfMemory". Now, I am working with 32 GB DDR5 memory, which should be more than enough to use what boils down to a glorified text editor.

Valeria Verona
Valeria Verona  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 11:07
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
2017 Mar 6

But I have been using it less and less.

Tantie Kustiantie
Tantie Kustiantie  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 22:07
English to Indonesian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
I am using Trados Studio 21 Mar 6

I am currently using Trados Studio 21

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: If you are a Trados user, which version are you currently using?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »