Chromebooks and GDPR compliance
Thread poster: Brittany Sanders
Brittany Sanders
Brittany Sanders  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:08
French to English
Jan 21, 2023

I Googled "Are Chromebooks GDPR compliant?" and judging by this article, it seems like they aren't:

https://techcrunch.com/2022/07/18/denmark-bans-chromebooks-and-google-workspace-in-schools-over-gdpr/

In that case, should I avoid using my Chromebook while working on projects from EU-based clients and translati
... See more
I Googled "Are Chromebooks GDPR compliant?" and judging by this article, it seems like they aren't:

https://techcrunch.com/2022/07/18/denmark-bans-chromebooks-and-google-workspace-in-schools-over-gdpr/

In that case, should I avoid using my Chromebook while working on projects from EU-based clients and translation agencies? (FYI this is a hypothetical question: I haven't had any EU-based clients yet.)
Collapse

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Digital Privacy Jan 22, 2023

People keep forgetting that Google—at its core—is an advertising company. They never care about anyone's digital privacy.

If you are concerned about having the big tech spying on you, use open-source software and hardware. Since you can review the codes yourself, you don't have to trust the developers. Also, don't rely on commercial cloud computing, and self-host as much as you can. If you must put anything up on the cloud (read: on someone else's computer that is totally in the
... See more
People keep forgetting that Google—at its core—is an advertising company. They never care about anyone's digital privacy.

If you are concerned about having the big tech spying on you, use open-source software and hardware. Since you can review the codes yourself, you don't have to trust the developers. Also, don't rely on commercial cloud computing, and self-host as much as you can. If you must put anything up on the cloud (read: on someone else's computer that is totally in their control), self-encrypt those files locally beforehand.

Brittany Sanders wrote:

I Googled "Are Chromebooks GDPR compliant?"

Oh, the irony.

[Edited at 2023-01-22 11:35 GMT]
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Don’t worry Jan 22, 2023

I can’t tell you whether they are or they aren’t compliant, but this is clearly an extreme case and is a matter for Google to worry about, not you.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 18:08
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Brittany Jan 22, 2023

As far as I know the European Data Protection Board (EDPB) set up a Coordinated Enforcement Framework (CEF) which has been looking at the use of cloud in the public sector and the transfer of data to the United States, following a complaint by an individual whose data was transferred from the European Union to the United States (Case C‑362/14). This has to do more with Google Workspace than with Chromebooks. I haven't heard of any ban over Chro... See more
As far as I know the European Data Protection Board (EDPB) set up a Coordinated Enforcement Framework (CEF) which has been looking at the use of cloud in the public sector and the transfer of data to the United States, following a complaint by an individual whose data was transferred from the European Union to the United States (Case C‑362/14). This has to do more with Google Workspace than with Chromebooks. I haven't heard of any ban over Chromebooks in Portugal...

https://edpb.europa.eu/news/national-news/2022/danish-dpa-imposes-ban-use-google-workspace-elsinore-municipality_en
https://edpb.europa.eu/system/files/2023-01/edpb_20230118_cef_cloud-basedservices_publicsector_en.pdf
https://curia.europa.eu/juris/document/document.jsf?text=&docid=182494&pageIndex=0&doclang=EN&mode=req&dir=&occ=first&part=1&cid=73223
Collapse

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Respectfully Disagree Jan 24, 2023

Ice Scream wrote:

I can’t tell you whether they are or they aren’t compliant, but this is clearly an extreme case and is a matter for Google to worry about, not you.

I’ll have to respectfully disagree with you on this. Some translators have the liberty to utilize the tools of their choosing, including those offered by entities with questionable track records in terms of digital privacy. YOU provide a translation service to your clients, which means YOU are a business that sells a type of commodity to the general public. I’d argue the translators are also subject to all applicable consumer data protection laws.

[Edited at 2023-01-24 03:25 GMT]

Brittany Sanders

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Chromebooks and GDPR compliance

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »