Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Why are more French companies requesting proof of payment of tax in fiscal place of residence?
Thread poster: stephenkells
Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:32
Serbian to English
+ ...
Which is utterly ridiculous Feb 23, 2023

Jo Macdonald wrote:

Hi Stephen
I had this the other way round being resident in Spain and working with a British company and the Spanish authorities were happy with a British certificate of incorporation, which I think you can download from Companies House.

Which is utterly ridiculous - that used to make sense at the time when Companies House used to make certificates of incorporation and send them by post to the registered address of the company.

At the difference from these downloaded "certificates of incorporation" that can be easily produced at will by the most amateurish user of any image editing software - while the official website of Companies House is supposed to be THE source of reliable information about UK companies, and is accessible in seconds by anyone from anywhere in the world with an internet connection.

If you need an example of bureaucracy that needs to wake up to modern technology and stop wasting people's time on pointless requests, you could hardly find a better one. End of rant.

stephenkells
stephenkells
French
TOPIC STARTER
certificate of incorporation Feb 23, 2023

Thanks Jo,

I'm actually a sole trader, so as things stand, I don't have a certificate of incorporation and don't think I can apply for one?

stephenkells
stephenkells
French
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Marjolein Feb 23, 2023

Thanks Marjolein,

I have been online and that form wasn't suitable, I actually had to write a letter with a request and sent it to HMRC!

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Serbian to English
+ ...
You can't Feb 23, 2023

stephenkells wrote:

Thanks Jo,

I'm actually a sole trader, so as things stand, I don't have a certificate of incorporation and don't think I can apply for one?

You can't, unless you incorporate your own one-man-band limited company. Might be worth the trouble - or not. You would need expert advice on that.

What you could also do, and is far more likely to be worth doing, is to register for VAT, Again, check with unbiased experts.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
VAT Feb 23, 2023

Daryo wrote:
What you could also do, and is far more likely to be worth doing, is to register for VAT, Again, check with unbiased experts.

Indeed. Whether to register for VAT is simple. Register if you work with businesses; don’t if you work with individuals, or if you think spending 20% more on almost everything you buy for your business is a fair price to pay for not pressing a button once a quarter.

Thomas T. Frost

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:32
French to English
. Feb 24, 2023

The point of this document is to prove that you are indeed paying taxes, that you are not running some illegal operation. It's to prevent people from working illegally.
When I worked at the agency, we had to supply the translators' VAT numbers. Since the threshold for having to pay VAT was much higher in the UK, most translators didn' have one. I told them, just give me your national insurance number, it's not like the authorities will know any better. It worked fine.
Do you not ha
... See more
The point of this document is to prove that you are indeed paying taxes, that you are not running some illegal operation. It's to prevent people from working illegally.
When I worked at the agency, we had to supply the translators' VAT numbers. Since the threshold for having to pay VAT was much higher in the UK, most translators didn' have one. I told them, just give me your national insurance number, it's not like the authorities will know any better. It worked fine.
Do you not have a receipt to show that you're all paid up tax-wise?
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Jo Macdonald

stephenkells
stephenkells
French
TOPIC STARTER
kay Feb 24, 2023

Hello Kay,

the letter I have from HMRC states that, yes.

Thanks,

Stephen.

Barbara Baldi
Barbara Baldi  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:32
English to Italian
+ ...
I don't think it is a question of personal data, but a legal requirement in France Feb 24, 2023

which is only fair, as everybody shold pay taxes, but because this is not the case, they end up in being too high for small companies which often have to delay them and pay in installments like I do with my Italian VAT. As a consequence your fiscal position is not considered "in order". You do pay but you are LATE all the time.
I lost a very affectionate client some years ago because of this request of them...
On top of that rates are low, which only make the situation worse...
... See more
which is only fair, as everybody shold pay taxes, but because this is not the case, they end up in being too high for small companies which often have to delay them and pay in installments like I do with my Italian VAT. As a consequence your fiscal position is not considered "in order". You do pay but you are LATE all the time.
I lost a very affectionate client some years ago because of this request of them...
On top of that rates are low, which only make the situation worse...
Barbara
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why are more French companies requesting proof of payment of tax in fiscal place of residence?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »