Trading and criptocurrencies: is this a good field of specialization?
Thread poster: Martina Sottile
Martina Sottile
Martina Sottile  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 15:35
English to Italian
+ ...
Apr 6, 2023

Hello everyone.
Recently, I have become more interested in the field of trading, cryptocurrencies, and blockchain. I also worked on a translation project for a trading company a few years ago and I found it complicated and fascinating at the same type.
Have you ever worked as a translator in this field? Do you think this could be a remunerative specialization field?
Feel free to share your thoughts

Denis Fesik
Denis Fesik
Local time: 16:35
English to Russian
+ ...
Who'd order such translations? Apr 6, 2023

People who want other people to first come to them for training and then bring them money for trading, and then hopefully lose it quickly and bring more. Dot, dot, dot – profit! If you think it's a great money-making avenue, just start doing it yourself, you'll surely make more money than those translations will pay you. I studied various aspects of trading for a couple of years and even passed two tests to receive a national-level certificate authorizing me to engage in securities broker, dea... See more
People who want other people to first come to them for training and then bring them money for trading, and then hopefully lose it quickly and bring more. Dot, dot, dot – profit! If you think it's a great money-making avenue, just start doing it yourself, you'll surely make more money than those translations will pay you. I studied various aspects of trading for a couple of years and even passed two tests to receive a national-level certificate authorizing me to engage in securities broker, dealer, and manager activities (no crypto, I'm too old). 90% of it was through self-study: there's no way I'll go to those trading gurus. There are reasons why I don't do trading, but that's another story. My point is that the translation market for trading and crypto is probably not serving any good end but is instead producing content designed to lure immature minds into shady schemes. Maybe I'm wrong

[Edited at 2023-04-06 19:00 GMT]
Collapse

Jean Lachaud
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:35
English to French
+ ...
Why don't you... Apr 6, 2023

... try it yourself, and let us know?

Martina Sottile wrote:

Hello everyone.
Recently, I have become more interested in the field of trading, cryptocurrencies, and blockchain. I also worked on a translation project for a trading company a few years ago and I found it complicated and fascinating at the same type.
Have you ever worked as a translator in this field? Do you think this could be a remunerative specialization field?
Feel free to share your thoughts

philgoddard

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
Too specialized Apr 7, 2023

I think you need to cast your net a lot wider, or you'll have a long wait. I've never been offered a job about cryptocurrencies.

Christopher Schröder

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trading and criptocurrencies: is this a good field of specialization?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »