Late charge - how much?
Thread poster: Zareah (X)
Zareah (X)
Zareah (X)  Identity Verified
United States
English to German
+ ...
Jan 1, 2002

I was wondering how high my late charge would be (just in case).

Is there an average late charge (X.X %)?

What\'s \"normal\"?

Thanks in advance,

Nadine

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 18:46
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
Personal experience and personal opinion: 1.5%/month Jan 2, 2002

= 18 % per annum.

This figure is not only derived from the interest level but also includes a disturbance\' and \'hassle\' factor.

When interest levels were higher it used to be 2%/month

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:46
English to German
+ ...
Depends on the country and on the currency... Jan 2, 2002

...obviously, 18% p.a. would be appropriate, at least from your point of view - the question is whether the rate is enforceable. Under recent German legislation, the rate you can charge if a debtor has defaulted on payment is linked to a key ECB rate (\'default\' in this context means 30 days after receipt of invoice - the snag is that you will need to prove they received it, so realistically this means 30 days after receipt of a reminder by registered mail, unless you want to send every invoice... See more
...obviously, 18% p.a. would be appropriate, at least from your point of view - the question is whether the rate is enforceable. Under recent German legislation, the rate you can charge if a debtor has defaulted on payment is linked to a key ECB rate (\'default\' in this context means 30 days after receipt of invoice - the snag is that you will need to prove they received it, so realistically this means 30 days after receipt of a reminder by registered mail, unless you want to send every invoice that way...).

Personally, I have only once managed to actually receive an extra charge for late payment - having said that, I have dumped a few customers where the delay was not due to an obvious error, but sheer negligence.

HTH - Ralf
Collapse

Zareah (X)
Zareah (X)  Identity Verified
United States
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Jan 2, 2002

ok, thank you very much - I\'ve never had to deal with late charges so I was wondering.

Thanks again!

Nadine

John Kinory (X)
John Kinory (X)
Local time: 17:46
English to Hebrew
+ ...
UK law Jan 2, 2002

In the UK too, a small company (incorporated or not) can charge a late payment fee linked to the Bank of England base rate. It is enforcable in principle, but of course a lot of hassle. Probably better to dump these people, and enter the amount as a bad debt in your accounts.

The industry-standard these days, BTW, is not \'The cheque is in the post beyond the orbit of Neptune\', but \'We never received your invoice\'. Emailed invoices are legal - but keep a copy! ...
See more
In the UK too, a small company (incorporated or not) can charge a late payment fee linked to the Bank of England base rate. It is enforcable in principle, but of course a lot of hassle. Probably better to dump these people, and enter the amount as a bad debt in your accounts.

The industry-standard these days, BTW, is not \'The cheque is in the post beyond the orbit of Neptune\', but \'We never received your invoice\'. Emailed invoices are legal - but keep a copy!
[addsig]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Late charge - how much?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »