Free TMs already available on the cloud?
Thread poster: Felipe Gútiez Velasco
Felipe Gútiez Velasco
Felipe Gútiez Velasco
Germany
Local time: 23:38
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 6, 2012

Hello everybody,

since I have been out for sometime now in proz fora, would like to know what is the current situation of TM sharing, dictionary online availability, real time collaborative networking between translators, etc, etc.
Any comments welcome.

I tried to promote a site for "old" translators to donate their free of copyrights TMs for the humanity, like Röntgen did with the X rays, but the idea had not enough followers and also I did not push it strong en
... See more
Hello everybody,

since I have been out for sometime now in proz fora, would like to know what is the current situation of TM sharing, dictionary online availability, real time collaborative networking between translators, etc, etc.
Any comments welcome.

I tried to promote a site for "old" translators to donate their free of copyrights TMs for the humanity, like Röntgen did with the X rays, but the idea had not enough followers and also I did not push it strong enough.

The site where I wanted to do it was: www.tminmemoriam.com

So, please, what is in october 2012 the situation? TAUS and other projects, etc.?

Looking right now for German-Spanish medicine TM or good glossaries.

Wish you all nice translating
Collapse

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 23:38
French to English
+ ...
Be very careful Oct 6, 2012

Any translation memory, glossary, dictionary, etc. is only as good as its worst entry. Most crowdsourced projects of this kind, even very well-known and well-reputed ones, are either clearly below par for professional use, or should be used with great care and with verification elsewhere in case of even a slight doubt. Databases compiled from parallel texts by third parties may suffer from the same problem as well.
Also, unlike glossaries, TM carry not only semantic, but also stylistic in
... See more
Any translation memory, glossary, dictionary, etc. is only as good as its worst entry. Most crowdsourced projects of this kind, even very well-known and well-reputed ones, are either clearly below par for professional use, or should be used with great care and with verification elsewhere in case of even a slight doubt. Databases compiled from parallel texts by third parties may suffer from the same problem as well.
Also, unlike glossaries, TM carry not only semantic, but also stylistic information, which varies widely between translators. Thus, a TM composed by multiple translators, even highly qualified professionals, may be stylistically inconsistent both within itself and with the style of the user. From my own experience, all TMs offered by clients have been a hindrance rather than a help in my work.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Free TMs already available on the cloud?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »