Looking for tips to get international company to settle the outstanding invoices
Thread poster: Stefanie Lewis Aschenbrenner
Stefanie Lewis Aschenbrenner
Stefanie Lewis Aschenbrenner  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:39
Member (2020)
English to German
+ ...
Aug 8, 2022

Hi everyone,

I’ve been working for this big company as one of their freelancers for almost two years now.
I enjoyed working on their projects, PMs are brilliant, vendor management is not great but so far it’s been ok. They always had a few issues paying on time but it was usually only delayed by a few days apart from my last three invoices.
They’re overdue for three weeks now and I can’t get anyone to reply or tell me when this is going to be settled or why there
... See more
Hi everyone,

I’ve been working for this big company as one of their freelancers for almost two years now.
I enjoyed working on their projects, PMs are brilliant, vendor management is not great but so far it’s been ok. They always had a few issues paying on time but it was usually only delayed by a few days apart from my last three invoices.
They’re overdue for three weeks now and I can’t get anyone to reply or tell me when this is going to be settled or why there’s a delay.
I’ve checked, there are no bankruptcy issues or anything like that.

What is your experience with payment delays and have you got any tips on how to get paid please? I’ve sent the usual reminders with all the details attached.

Thank you
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 17:39
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Stefanie Aug 8, 2022

The holiday season is prone to payment delays in some countries. Could this be the reason?

Yolanda Broad

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 18:39
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
If you think they'll pay Aug 8, 2022

If you think they'll pay, don't spoil relations.

Cheers,
Gerard

Kevin Fulton

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:39
German to English
Three weeks not a long delay Aug 8, 2022

Stefanie Lewis Aschenbrenner wrote:

They always had a few issues paying on time but it was usually only delayed by a few days apart from my last three invoices.
They’re overdue for three weeks now and I can’t get anyone to reply or tell me when this is going to be settled or why there’s a delay.
I’ve checked, there are no bankruptcy issues or anything like that.

As others have noted, there's no reason to get tough with a client if their payment is only a few weeks tardy. Holidays are a frequent reason for administrative delays. The bookkeeper may really be on maternity leave (although that's the typical excuse). I don't get impatient until after 30 days have elapsed since the due date.

Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:39
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not an issue yet Aug 10, 2022

Big company. I am guessing it is one of the usual suspects.

The big ones always pay, but can be slow and bureaucratic when it comes to payment. It can be frustrating. In the end you always get paid. If you are fed up with their inefficiency, move on to greener pastures.

Christel Zipfel

Sadek_A
Sadek_A  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:39
English to Arabic
+ ...
Yes, there is Aug 10, 2022

Kevin Fulton wrote:
there's no reason to get tough with a client if their payment is only a few weeks tardy

It's called translator's own financial commitments. Landlords, grocery stores, gas stations, etc. don't give translator his/her needs on credit, do they?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for tips to get international company to settle the outstanding invoices

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »