Thread poster: Merab Dekano
Merab Dekano
Merab Dekano  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 8, 2022

Recently, I’m getting requests to edit MT output at a pace of 1,000 words an hour. That, for me, is the pace a human can edit a human translation. I can edit 1,000 words in one hour provided the text is of a decent (not even excellent) quality. But MT output? Naaa.
Any thought on that?

Thank you!

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:46
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Edit MT Aug 8, 2022

This is a strenuous task. If you only proofread (not edit) MT, you can cover 1.000 words an hour, provided that the MT is good and sticks to the original text without "inventing" words that nobody has ever heard of.

Personally, I have just proofread an MT translation (despite my aversion against it), allegedly already post-edited by a human being. It turned out not too good because of said invented words which needed to be found in a source text of an unknown language.

... See more
This is a strenuous task. If you only proofread (not edit) MT, you can cover 1.000 words an hour, provided that the MT is good and sticks to the original text without "inventing" words that nobody has ever heard of.

Personally, I have just proofread an MT translation (despite my aversion against it), allegedly already post-edited by a human being. It turned out not too good because of said invented words which needed to be found in a source text of an unknown language.

To cut a long story short, this was the first time (in a long, long time) that I had accepted such a project and it will definitely be the last time... for good.

[Edited at 2022-08-08 17:24 GMT]
Collapse

Merab Dekano
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Vladimir Pochinov

Merab Dekano
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Thayenga Aug 8, 2022

Well, the text I got today had the same term translated in several different ways (almost impossible to get the consistency right at that pace). It even had the company names translated. Almost all terms were wrong and out of context, etc.
I offered the client to do the translation from scratch at my standard rate. They refused. I offered them a pace of 500 words/hour. They refused. I offered them to stick to the original pace (1,000 words) but without guaranteeing total consistency/fitnes
... See more
Well, the text I got today had the same term translated in several different ways (almost impossible to get the consistency right at that pace). It even had the company names translated. Almost all terms were wrong and out of context, etc.
I offered the client to do the translation from scratch at my standard rate. They refused. I offered them a pace of 500 words/hour. They refused. I offered them to stick to the original pace (1,000 words) but without guaranteeing total consistency/fitness of the text. They refused. I just dropped the project.
Collapse

Yolanda Broad
Sadek_A
Adieu

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
It's just about my limit Aug 8, 2022

Merab Dekano wrote:
Recently, I’m getting requests to edit MT output at a pace of 1,000 words an hour.

I can do that, with pure neural MT, with a made-for-translation source text and a field that I'm well versed in. But it's just about my limit -- all things need to fall exactly into place for that to be possible.

Merab Dekano
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I see where they are going Aug 8, 2022

Samuel Murray wrote:

Merab Dekano wrote:
Recently, I’m getting requests to edit MT output at a pace of 1,000 words an hour.

I can do that, with pure neural MT, with a made-for-translation source text and a field that I'm well versed in. But it's just about my limit -- all things need to fall exactly into place for that to be possible.

I see. Thanks, Samuel for your input. Well, in my case things were way apart. They wanted "crap in gold out". Just figure this:
1. Human translation + editing of a 10,000 word project:
- EUR 1,000 for translation + EUR 300 for editing = EUR 1,300.
2. MT output + human editing of a 10,000 word project:
- EUR 0.00 for MT + EUR 300 for editing = EUR 300.
I understand where they are going, but I also don’t really believe in miracles.

Vladimir Pochinov
Vladimir Pochinov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Promises, misleading info and harsh reality Aug 8, 2022

Thayenga wrote:
I have just proofread an MT translation ... allegedly already post-edited by a human being. It turned out not too good...

Merab Dekano wrote:
They wanted "crap in gold out". Just figure this:
1. Human translation + editing of a 10,000 word project:
- EUR 1,000 for translation + EUR 300 for editing = EUR 1,300.
2. MT output + human editing of a 10,000 word project:
- EUR 0.00 for MT + EUR 300 for editing = EUR 300.
I understand where they are going, but I also don’t really believe in miracles.

The standard QA process should include at least a review by a linguist other than the original translator. The agency omits this "four-eyes" principle, a.k.a. the "two-man" or "two-person" rule. So, the output quality here fully depends on the post-editor. But even an experienced translator can make a mistake.

They're likely to assure their clients that MTPE/PEMT process, unlike pure MT, guarantees excellent translation. But what the client gets is an unreviewed translation. Period.

Yolanda Broad
Thayenga
Merab Dekano
Adieu

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
@ Merab Aug 8, 2022

Merab Dekano wrote:

I offered the client to do the translation from scratch at my standard rate. They refused. I offered them a pace of 500 words/hour. They refused. I offered them to stick to the original pace (1,000 words) but without guaranteeing total consistency/fitness of the text. They refused. I just dropped the project.

All this sounds just too familiar, including differently spelled names for one and the same person.

And of course they refused. They want the cheapest possible "translation" which comes from a machine and a totally underpaid reviewer. Dropping such projects, rather not accepting them at all, is a wise decision.

Merab Dekano
Adieu
Christel Zipfel

Merab Dekano
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Indeed Aug 8, 2022

Vladimir Pochinov wrote:
But what the client gets is an unreviewed translation. Period.

Absolutely. And I don't want to be part of that, as I value my reputation.

Thayenga
Adieu

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MT output + human editing

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »