what are acceptable rates for an American translation agency regarding translation, editing and LQA
Thread poster: Jean-Paul ROSETO
Jean-Paul ROSETO
Jean-Paul ROSETO
Local time: 03:03
Member (2004)
Italian to French
+ ...
Aug 29, 2022

Hello everyone,

A translation agency based in the US is asking me what are my rates for translation, editing and LQA review. Can you tell me what are acceptable rates regarding these three works. Thanks in advance. I live in France and use the Euro.

Translation English > French (USD/word) :
Editing English > French (USD/word) :
LQA Review English > French (USD/word) :

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:03
English to French
+ ...
This question, or rather the answers you are expecting, fall under US Anti-trust laws Aug 29, 2022

See: https://www.atanet.org/about-us/policies/antitrust-compliance-policy/

J L

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Jean, @Jean-Paul Aug 29, 2022

It says "You can still discuss your rates on non-ATA sites and publications, as long as your information does not appear to represent ATA policy." Plus, as far as I can tell, the OP is not a member of the ATA. The page also explains that discussing rates is fine, while setting rates is not. Whether calling a rate "acceptable" is tantamount to setting a rate is a grey area. There is no specific ProZ.com forum rule against discussing specific rates.

Jean-Paul ROSETO wrote:
A translation agency based in the US is asking me what are my rates for translation, editing and LQA review. Can you tell me what are acceptable rates regarding these three works?

I suggest you do a directory search on ProZ.com for English-French translators who live in the USA (although the fact that one lives in the USA doesn't mean one's clients are primarily from the USA), and then look at the profile pages of the translators who appear at the top of the list. While only about 1 in 10 translators reveal their rates on their profile pages, this should give you some indication of what rates are not too bad and still reasonably acceptable.

https://www.proz.com/translator-directory/?sp=directory&to=fra&from=eng&pair_emphasis=8&sdl_trados_cert_level=na&sdlx_cert_level=na&field=&latitude=&longitude=&distance=50&keyword_cv_checkbox=on&mode=view&from=eng&to=fra&pair_emphasis=1&native=fra&field=&type=translation&skill_interpreting=Any&skill_subtitling=Any&distance=50&location=&latitude=&longitude=&country=us&cred=na&software=na&sdl_trados_cert_level=na&sdlx_cert_level=na&orderby=&avail=na&keyword=&keyword_cv_checkbox=on&wwa=na&profile_last_updated=any&posted_wiwo_within_days=&orderby=

I suspect it would be okay to charge your usual European EUR rates as USD rates for the USA client. So if you normally charge EUR 0.10 per word for translation, you can charge USD 0.10 per word for the USA client.

[Edited at 2022-08-29 20:27 GMT]

Jorge Payan
Liviu-Lee Roth
Jo Macdonald
Dalia Nour

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 02:03
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Jean-Paul Aug 30, 2022

My rates are my rates, meaning what is acceptable for me. What I charge for a job depends on several factors: subject matter, difficulty, volume, urgency, source language of the text and other practical circumstances, but not on the client’s country of residence!

Heather Oland
Dalia Nour

Edwin den Boer
Edwin den Boer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
Check the community rates Aug 30, 2022

You're not going to get a direct answer, but there's a helpful tool you might not have noticed.

See the list of rates entered by the average ProZ user here: https://search.proz.com/?sp=pfe/rates

The minimum rate listed there is very low. For a beginner, I'd recommend the standard rate minus 10%. Take into account that many of these rates will have been entered before there
... See more
You're not going to get a direct answer, but there's a helpful tool you might not have noticed.

See the list of rates entered by the average ProZ user here: https://search.proz.com/?sp=pfe/rates

The minimum rate listed there is very low. For a beginner, I'd recommend the standard rate minus 10%. Take into account that many of these rates will have been entered before there was ~10% inflation during the past 12 months.

Once you know how fast you can work, take the hourly rate you want to receive and divide it by the number of words you can deliver per hour for a particular activity.

The dollar has reached parity with the euro, so we don't need to worry about exchange rates at the moment.

[Edited at 2022-08-30 08:08 GMT]
Collapse

Dalia Nour

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Nope Aug 30, 2022

Also, two to a handful contractors from different cities and countries have never, ever been accused of, much less convicted of forming a trust.

The idea that we could, much less somewhere with such weak reach as proz.com, is laughable.

NOR COULD THE ATA, which they most certainly understand full well. This silly "policy" is nothing but a thinly veiled gift to agencies from the ever-disloyal ATA.

Remember, kids: the ATA will always side with big business and against you.

[Edited at 2022-08-30 09:21 GMT]

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:03
English to French
+ ...
A little reminder Sep 1, 2022

The FTC investigated the ATA for several years in the early 1990s, after receiving at least one complaint of price-fixing, based on rates which were then published by the ATA.

The legal costs of the investigation nearly bankrupted ATA, which survived by agreeing to what is published in the link in question, and to ban rate discussions by its members.

I can't imagine events not repeating.

J L

Adieu wrote:

Also, two to a handful contractors from different cities and countries have never, ever been accused of, much less convicted of forming a trust.

The idea that we could, much less somewhere with such weak reach as proz.com, is laughable.

NOR COULD THE ATA, which they most certainly understand full well. This silly "policy" is nothing but a thinly veiled gift to agencies from the ever-disloyal ATA.

Remember, kids: the ATA will always side with big business and against you.

[Edited at 2022-08-30 09:21 GMT]

Edwin den Boer

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

what are acceptable rates for an American translation agency regarding translation, editing and LQA

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »