Natsuki Onodera
Natsuki Onodera  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 04:41
Member (2017)
Japanese to English
+ ...
Sep 5, 2022

I'm a Japanese translator in Canada who visits Japan time to time.
These trips are mostly personal but it's also vital to keep my language skill up to date.
I have an accountant who tells me that a part of such expenses can be considered as business thus tax deductible but I should keep everything within reason.
Do you fellow translators deduct travel expenses? If so, what do you include in your tax return? Airfare? Books? Hotels? Food?

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:41
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Natsuki Onodera Sep 6, 2022

As what can be deducted varies from country to country, I trust my accountant. He deducts part of my food expenses (restaurants), books, hairdresser, hotel and travel expenses, clothing and shoes…

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 10:41
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I have... Sep 6, 2022

Natsuki Onodera wrote:
I have an accountant who tells me that a part of such expenses can be considered as business thus tax deductible but I should keep everything within reason.

I have an ex-pat colleague who declares some of his travels "back home" as business expenses, at the advice of his accountant.

Jessica Noyes

Jessica Noyes
Jessica Noyes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:41
Spanish to English
+ ...
Course/conference/workshop Sep 6, 2022

My Canadian translator friend's accountant suggested that she find a translator conference, or mini-course to attend for part of the duration of her trip. This makes the deductions a true no-brainer. (However, I'm not saying that a course or something is necessary. And I am not an accountant myself.)

Arianne Farah

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Travel expense and tax deduction

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »