All type of contracts from agencies acceptable as A non-VAT owner to work with them
Thread poster: Rosario Liberto
Rosario Liberto
Rosario Liberto  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 20:43
English to Italian
+ ...
Sep 15, 2022

As freelancers are offered so many different contracts by translation agencies, from a profitability-based point of view, I would like to know what the most advisable contracts proposed by them or if any other than the ones below are to work as a non-VAT owner :

1) Italian co.co.co (continuous collaboration) contract '' or to put it another way '' contract for freelance work coordinated by an employer '';

2) Working as a contingent worker for jobs up to € 5,000 to th
... See more
As freelancers are offered so many different contracts by translation agencies, from a profitability-based point of view, I would like to know what the most advisable contracts proposed by them or if any other than the ones below are to work as a non-VAT owner :

1) Italian co.co.co (continuous collaboration) contract '' or to put it another way '' contract for freelance work coordinated by an employer '';

2) Working as a contingent worker for jobs up to € 5,000 to the utmost;

By taking into account that I can work up to € 5,000 to the utmost, in order to be shortlisted, do you think that I can propose them the above-mentioned contracts before sending them my CV, should I accept what they propose or are there any other chances?
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Rosario Sep 15, 2022

Since your question seems to be specifically about the situation in Italy, I think you'll get more useful answers if you ask your question in the Italian-language subforum:
https://www.proz.com/forum/italian-26.html

Rosario Liberto
Rosario Liberto  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
All type of contracts from agencies acceptable as A non-VAT owner to work with them Sep 15, 2022

Thanks but no, I mean foreign translation agencies too.

Miranda Drew
Miranda Drew  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
Italian to English
There are different types of contracts in other countries Sep 15, 2022

Rosario Liberto wrote:

Thanks but no, I mean foreign translation agencies too.

I doubt that the Italian co.co.co exists in other countries. I would seriously advise you against doing a co.co.co. Basically, it's a way for the company to treat you like an employee without giving you any benefits. I had co.co.co. for years here in Italy, and I am very familiar with them.

With the flat tax of 15% now raised to earnings of €65,000 per year here in Italy I would suggest getting a partita iva.

And the 5000 limit is not PER JOB, it is PER CUSTOMER, so you would only be able to do 5000 worth of work for any given client in an entire year. That is not sustainable. And, from what my accountant friends have told me, they've recently made it also much more difficult to do jobs of up to 5000 (adding a ton of requirements).

Ultimately, having a partita iva is a pain, but I've had one for 15 years now, and I think it is much better than co.co.co. You can work for many different clients and make a lot more money. That has been my experience.

I honestly don't think you will find foreign agencies willing to work for you if you aren't VAT registered.

[Edited at 2022-09-15 15:13 GMT]

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 19:43
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
"Rosario Sep 16, 2022

In some countries these contracts are not allowed as they are considered “disguised employment relationships”, meaning that the appearance of a service contract is created to cover the reality of an employment contract. In Portugal, one of the most frequent ways of defrauding labour laws is the use of the so-called “recibos verdes” (green receipts) which is a document legally defined to prove the payment of fees to self-employed persons, when, in fact, there is an employment relationship.

Miranda Drew

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

All type of contracts from agencies acceptable as A non-VAT owner to work with them

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »