What are current EN-RU subtitle translation rates?
Thread poster: Anastasija Cernotalova
Anastasija Cernotalova
Anastasija Cernotalova
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:44
Latvian to Russian
+ ...
Sep 16, 2022

Hi,

I'd like to double check if anyone knows what current EN-RU subtitle translation rates are.

I got offered 0,90EUR per video minute (news channel 26-minute episode translation) and I find it extremely low. They gave me 2 days to complete it.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thank you!

[Edited at 2022-09-16 18:03 GMT]

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Insulting rate Sep 16, 2022

Agencies used by Netflix pay $4, which is already low and may correspond to €/$10-15 per hour, so I don't touch that. €0.90 is ludicrous and insulting.

Anastasija Cernotalova
Josephine Cassar
expressisverbis
Maureen Peng

Anastasija Cernotalova
Anastasija Cernotalova
United Kingdom
Latvian to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Agree Sep 16, 2022

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Agencies used by Netflix pay $4, which is already low and may correspond to €/$10-15 per hour, so I don't touch that. €0.90 is ludicrous and insulting.

Thank you! Exactly what I thought.
It’s crazy. Judging from my rough calculations, it’s around 0,008Eur per source word plus lots of hours of work.

And they work with major clients… that’s why I was hoping to work for them, but jeez, not for this money.

24 EUR is what they offer me for a 26 minute video translation (with a non-perfectly ready script… but with no script at all they also pay extremely low. So you have to transcribe, translate and time code. Crazy)

expressisverbis
Maureen Peng

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Example Sep 16, 2022

I did two features to try subtitling. Here is one example:

89 minutes, 9426 target words, i.e. 106 words per minute.
At a rate of $/€4 per minute, that's $/€0.038 per word, i.e. less than half of a normal decent word rate.

At $/€0.9 per minute, it would be $/€0.0086 per word, which is close to your own calculation. This is worse than a joke.

In this example, I used target words, so the number of source words would have been higher, since we ne
... See more

89 minutes, 9426 target words, i.e. 106 words per minute.
At a rate of $/€4 per minute, that's $/€0.038 per word, i.e. less than half of a normal decent word rate.

At $/€0.9 per minute, it would be $/€0.0086 per word, which is close to your own calculation. This is worse than a joke.

In this example, I used target words, so the number of source words would have been higher, since we need to shorten the target to fit the line lengths, a step which requires more time than a normal translation. We also sometimes need to split or join subtitles or adjust the timing, again spending more time.

I gained some subtitling knowledge, which is useful when non-entertainment subtitles are paid per word, but working for even $4/minute has no interest.
Collapse

Kristopher Brame
Josephine Cassar
Anastasija Cernotalova
expressisverbis

Kristopher Brame
Kristopher Brame  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:44
Member (2018)
German to English
+ ...
Run away from this job Sep 16, 2022

That is a terrible rate. There's quite a lot of variation in word counts across videos, but I would suspect the video in question is similar to interviews in terms of word density, which would actually be lower than 0.008 EUR per word.

By the way, it's true that some Netflix agencies offer $4 per minute, but there are a few good ones (at least two, probably a few more) that pay way, way more than that.

Definitely don't take this job. I really hope no one takes it.

Anastasija Cernotalova
expressisverbis

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
That agency Sep 17, 2022

Kristopher Brame wrote:

but there are a few good ones (at least two, probably a few more) that pay way, way more than that.

And it’s definitely not that agency. You know, the one every subtitler hates with a passion. I still feel guilty of ever recommending a job from them to a colleague.

Kristopher Brame

Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Local time: 15:44
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
Also factor in Sep 17, 2022

[quote]Thomas T. Frost wrote:

89 minutes, 9426 target words, i.e. 106 words per minute.[quote]

And you might even have as many as 150 words in 1 minute (or much less if you're lucky). Also, some languages, you have to factor in a lot of time to check if the person talking was referring to a male or a female as that makes a difference. i am not referring to the person talking only but to whom these persons refer, so you have to calculate a fee to cover all that too.

[Edited at 2022-09-17 14:23 GMT]

Thomas T. Frost
Anastasija Cernotalova
expressisverbis

Anastasija Cernotalova
Anastasija Cernotalova
United Kingdom
Latvian to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Totally agree Sep 17, 2022

Kristopher Brame wrote:

That is a terrible rate. There's quite a lot of variation in word counts across videos, but I would suspect the video in question is similar to interviews in terms of word density, which would actually be lower than 0.008 EUR per word.

By the way, it's true that some Netflix agencies offer $4 per minute, but there are a few good ones (at least two, probably a few more) that pay way, way more than that.

Definitely don't take this job. I really hope no one takes it.

Thank you, Kristopher. Exactly, it is an episode from the news channel, and it has around 100-200 words in one minute. The pay they offered me is unacceptable. I am quite surprised there are people who work for them for this money.

Kristopher Brame

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What are current EN-RU subtitle translation rates?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »