Thread poster: Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Local time: 16:31
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sep 23, 2022

I have just been approached with a request for a quotation for the reuse of some surtitres that I translated (I'm delighted to discover that they are still mine rather than belonging to the organisation I originally translated them for). But I have no idea what kind of price to charge, presuming it should be a percentage. Any ideas, please?

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:31
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Noni Sep 24, 2022

It’s entirely up to you. For me, it depends mainly on being the same client or not. In the first case, I'll either charge a percentage (starting at 50%) or the time spent; in the second case, 100%...

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
What Sep 24, 2022

What are "surtitres"?

Jorge Payan

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Surtitres or surtitles Sep 24, 2022

The "subtitles" that are projected onto a screen above a stage.

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Compare the two documents in Word Sep 24, 2022

You could compare the source version of the earlier document with the new one to see what has changed. If you have to change a lot you can charge more than when very little has changed.

Cheers,
Gerard

Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Charge for your time Sep 24, 2022

Hi Noni,
I normally charge my hourly rate for this type of job because it's simple and fair for both parties.

Long time no see at KudoZ!
Cheers
Bea

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:31
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
I wish some clients would do the same to me Sep 25, 2022

Noni Gilbert Riley wrote:

I have just been approached with a request for a quotation for the reuse of some surtitres that I translated (I'm delighted to discover that they are still mine rather than belonging to the organisation I originally translated them for). But I have no idea what kind of price to charge, presuming it should be a percentage. Any ideas, please?

I think the PM either forgot that the file has been translated, or is a newbie in project management.

[Edited at 2022-09-25 06:41 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Reuse of translation, how to charge

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »