Emily Gilby
Emily Gilby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:54
Member (2018)
French to English
+ ...
Sep 29, 2022

I use Wise to receive payments in EUR and USD. I have no problems receiving EUR but a lot of times, I get issues with US clients trying to send me USD payments. Most recently, 20 USD was deducted from a payment, as my client said that their bank deducts 20 USD for domestic transfers. I find this so mind-boggling as someone who lives in the UK where all domestic bank transfers (as far as I know) are free, and it's only when sending money abroad that you encounter fees. I use Wise to get around th... See more
I use Wise to receive payments in EUR and USD. I have no problems receiving EUR but a lot of times, I get issues with US clients trying to send me USD payments. Most recently, 20 USD was deducted from a payment, as my client said that their bank deducts 20 USD for domestic transfers. I find this so mind-boggling as someone who lives in the UK where all domestic bank transfers (as far as I know) are free, and it's only when sending money abroad that you encounter fees. I use Wise to get around these fees, but it just doesn't seem to work for US clients paying in USD. Is this the norm for USD payments that you just have to accept, or is there a way around it?Collapse

Robert Such
Robert Such  Identity Verified
Member (2020)
French to English
+ ...
Request an ACH transfer Sep 29, 2022

They have to send payment as an ACH transfer from a Wise business account. If they send it from a Wise personal account, the payment will be automatically converted into GBP.

https://wise.com/help/articles/2827506/how-do-i-use-my-usd-account-details

“If your routing number starts with 084

Your single routing number will wo
... See more
They have to send payment as an ACH transfer from a Wise business account. If they send it from a Wise personal account, the payment will be automatically converted into GBP.

https://wise.com/help/articles/2827506/how-do-i-use-my-usd-account-details

“If your routing number starts with 084

Your single routing number will work for both ACH and wire transfers.”

And if they say ACH is for domestic payments, send them the link to the Wise help page. You’re not asking them to send it as an international transfer.
Collapse

Anton Konashenok
Liviu-Lee Roth

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:54
English to French
+ ...
Yes Sep 29, 2022

Yes, not only it is the norm, but $20 is quite low.

Welcome to the US banking industry, still living in 1920.

J L

Emily Gilby wrote:

I use Wise to receive payments in EUR and USD. I have no problems receiving EUR but a lot of times, I get issues with US clients trying to send me USD payments. Most recently, 20 USD was deducted from a payment, as my client said that their bank deducts 20 USD for domestic transfers. (...) Is this the norm for USD payments that you just have to accept, or is there a way around it?

[Edited at 2022-09-29 13:28 GMT]

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Use ACH Sep 29, 2022

Ask them to use ACH transfers instead of wire. You don't pay any fee for receiving an ACH transfer, and the client doesn't pay a rip-off fee for wire if ACH is used.

The currency conversion is not related to the type of transfer, and only if the client has a Wise account should they initiate the payment from a Wise account (in which case they don't need to specify that it's ACH, as it will just be an internal Wise transfer). They can make an ACH transfer directly from their bank. Th
... See more
Ask them to use ACH transfers instead of wire. You don't pay any fee for receiving an ACH transfer, and the client doesn't pay a rip-off fee for wire if ACH is used.

The currency conversion is not related to the type of transfer, and only if the client has a Wise account should they initiate the payment from a Wise account (in which case they don't need to specify that it's ACH, as it will just be an internal Wise transfer). They can make an ACH transfer directly from their bank. They don't need to have a Wise account.

Some US clients pay through Veem. That too can be set up to make a direct ACH transfer to your Wise account at no cost.

The way the EUR and GBP exchange is going right now, I'm keeping some USD in my USD Wise balance, since the USD is gaining value almost daily.
Collapse

philgoddard

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Emily Sep 29, 2022

I’m in the Eurozone. Some of my US and Canadian customers have € accounts what is extremely practical; all the others non-EU clients pay either through Wise or TransferMate.

Korana Lasić
Korana Lasić  Identity Verified
Serbian to English
+ ...
Wire transfer vs ACH Sep 29, 2022

Wire transfers cost typically between USD 25 and USD 30, so 20 isn't even that bad!

Having said that, it's
a) none of your problem that the agency used wire instead of ACH transfer (which is free, like so many people pointed out)
b) even if it were your problem, bank fees ⁠— when they are an absolute must and not just a borderline rude agency using expensive money transfers and footing the translator with the bill ⁠— are split.

So, did day split a
... See more
Wire transfers cost typically between USD 25 and USD 30, so 20 isn't even that bad!

Having said that, it's
a) none of your problem that the agency used wire instead of ACH transfer (which is free, like so many people pointed out)
b) even if it were your problem, bank fees ⁠— when they are an absolute must and not just a borderline rude agency using expensive money transfers and footing the translator with the bill ⁠— are split.

So, did day split a USD 40 bank fee with you, or did you pay all of it?

Any semi-professional agency will tell you up front that they use ACH and if you want them to use wire transfer, you pay for it. (Wire transfer can be faster, so the premise here is, if there's any urgency on your end, you pay for it.)

They gave you no choice in what transfer they used, and then you paid their bank fee. Wise does not charge you anything, so you paid their bank fee. How rude!

Edit: Actually, I've just checked and Wise does charge USD 4.14 for wire transfer.

Did you factor your wise fee in, though, because seems that the way this agency pays costs you USD 24.14 per payment and that is really rude!

[Edited at 2022-09-29 16:54 GMT]
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Wise does charge Sep 29, 2022

Korana Lasić wrote:

Wise does not charge you anything, so you paid their bank fee.

Wise does charge for receiving a wire transfer. They introduced that fee a couple of years ago.

In any case, it's always better to agree on payment methods before any orders are accepted.

Korana Lasić

Emily Gilby
Emily Gilby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2018)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Sep 30, 2022

Thanks for your insights everyone, at least I have a leg to stand on when going back to them now! They said that my Wise details weren't working (which I've never heard before) and asked for my email address to find me on Wise (again, never heard of that), so I gave them my email address and all of the payment details I have on Wise for my USD account. The next email I got just said that they had sent me a wire transfer, so they didn't ask me before doing it like you said they should.

... See more
Thanks for your insights everyone, at least I have a leg to stand on when going back to them now! They said that my Wise details weren't working (which I've never heard before) and asked for my email address to find me on Wise (again, never heard of that), so I gave them my email address and all of the payment details I have on Wise for my USD account. The next email I got just said that they had sent me a wire transfer, so they didn't ask me before doing it like you said they should.

If I hear from this client again, I'll be sure to talk about payment before I accept another job from them. I've only worked with them twice, and the first time I suggested that they get Wise so that I didn't get landed with the transfer fee in future (it was 40 USD that time). As they told me that they now had Wise, I thought it would be a doddle, as I said, none of my other USD clients seem to have a problem using my Wise account, but sadly not. A lesson learnt!
Collapse

Korana Lasić

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Wise USD to USD Sep 30, 2022

It can be difficult for US Wise clients to find the USD-to-USD option (or maybe it isn't there). A small client of mine with a Wise account never managed to find it. I could see the option in my own account, but it didn't appear in a screenshot from his phone. Only when I sent him a payment request through Wise did he manage to pay.

Maybe this is why your client reverted to a bank transfer, but they should have chosen the cheap ACH instead of the ludicrously expensive wire. That's w
... See more
It can be difficult for US Wise clients to find the USD-to-USD option (or maybe it isn't there). A small client of mine with a Wise account never managed to find it. I could see the option in my own account, but it didn't appear in a screenshot from his phone. Only when I sent him a payment request through Wise did he manage to pay.

Maybe this is why your client reverted to a bank transfer, but they should have chosen the cheap ACH instead of the ludicrously expensive wire. That's why we need to tell them up front.
Collapse

Korana Lasić

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

US domestic bank charges

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »