Thread poster: Letra
Letra
Letra  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 20:24
English to Polish
+ ...
Oct 2, 2022

Hello! I have a client in Japan whose only payment method is a bank transfer. Unfortunately the money has to pass through intermediary banks and every time the total fee is 27 euros. Does anybody have any cheaper way to receive money from Japan? I was looking for Japanese banks in UE to avoid intermediaries but could not find any. Maybe there are European banks closely co-operating with Japanese ones which could lower the fee? I've already asked them about PayPal but they refused to use it. I wo... See more
Hello! I have a client in Japan whose only payment method is a bank transfer. Unfortunately the money has to pass through intermediary banks and every time the total fee is 27 euros. Does anybody have any cheaper way to receive money from Japan? I was looking for Japanese banks in UE to avoid intermediaries but could not find any. Maybe there are European banks closely co-operating with Japanese ones which could lower the fee? I've already asked them about PayPal but they refused to use it. I would appreciate if you could share any helpful ideas or solutions.Collapse

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:24
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Not many options Oct 2, 2022

In such cases it is common to suggest Wise (formerly TransferWise), but in Japan at least this requires the company sending the money to have a Wise account. Banking and banking-related processes in Japan are extremely conservative, and there are good governance reasons for companies to avoid opening any more bank accounts than are strictly necessary. It is unlikely that a Japanese company of any size will open a Wise account just for foreign freelancers.

PayPal fees are expensive f
... See more
In such cases it is common to suggest Wise (formerly TransferWise), but in Japan at least this requires the company sending the money to have a Wise account. Banking and banking-related processes in Japan are extremely conservative, and there are good governance reasons for companies to avoid opening any more bank accounts than are strictly necessary. It is unlikely that a Japanese company of any size will open a Wise account just for foreign freelancers.

PayPal fees are expensive for any significant payments. The company can close or freeze your account at any point (this happened to the account of a professional association of which I was treasurer), and you may find it difficult to impossible to unfreeze it, so I would definitely avoid PayPal. If you do have a PayPal account, be careful not to keep money in it.

I am not at all sure that opening an account with a Japanese bank operating in the EU would result in you not paying charges. In any case, my experience is that such banks do not offer accounts to individuals because they are there to service commercial clients.

In summary, my situation is that for some Japanese clients I have charges deducted from my money, some clients pay charges, and one (small, agile) client uses Wise. Not ideal, but typically these fees are a very small part of my invoices.

Regards,
Dan
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
. Oct 2, 2022

I have no clients in Japan, but some of my non-EU customers have € accounts what is extremely practical; all the others pay either through Wise or TransferMate (easier, quicker and cheaper than any other international payment method).

Andriy Yasharov
Andriy Yasharov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 21:24
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Payoneer Oct 2, 2022

Open an account with Payoneer. Payoneer allows to open a receiving account for Japan (JPY).

Use for local bank transfers within Japan in JPY via the Zengin System network

Only payments for business transactions from business accounts are supported

Transfers usually take 1-2 business days

Fee for receiving payment: Free

After receiving the money transfer, you will be able to withdraw it to your local bank account.

Each
... See more
Open an account with Payoneer. Payoneer allows to open a receiving account for Japan (JPY).

Use for local bank transfers within Japan in JPY via the Zengin System network

Transfers usually take 1-2 business days

Fee for receiving payment: Free

After receiving the money transfer, you will be able to withdraw it to your local bank account.

Each receiving account has its own unique bank account details, which you can view and copy from the receiving account’s details page.

You provide those bank account details to your payers, who use them to pay you by bank transfer.

Payments sent to you using receiving accounts land in your Payoneer balance.

[Edited at 2022-10-02 11:50 GMT]
Collapse

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Account names Oct 2, 2022

Andriy Yasharov wrote:

Thank you Andriy, this is useful.

On one of the JAEN mailing lists, it was pointed out that the payment is made to Payoneer, rather than the translator, and that some clients have a policy of remitting the funds only to an account with an owner of the same name. For this reason they will not use Payoneer.

I work through a limited company, and a couple of my clients have explicitly mentioned that they cannot send funds to personal accounts or accounts with different names (which makes sense, to be fair to them).

For freelancers trading under their own name the rules may be less stringent. Worth trying if you can persuade the client that it's all worth it.

Regards,
Dan

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Dan Oct 4, 2022

Payments from my customers through Wise and TransferMate go directly to my bank account just like a bank transfer (I don’t have to withdraw funds from an account in Wise or TransferMate). I’ve never sent money, but I suppose it will be necessary to open an account.

Letra
Letra  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 20:24
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all for your input Oct 8, 2022

I really appreciate it. I will try to convince my customer to change their policy. I had a similar situation with a US customer some time ago where the only options were very expensive bank wire transfer or a paper check send by mail which took ages to clear but was cheaper than the transfer. Doing business in Europe is so easy but with customers from outside Europe it's a completely different story...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bank transfers from Japan

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »