Thread poster: Vanessa Kamp
Vanessa Kamp
Vanessa Kamp
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oct 4, 2022

Hello all,
I have a bit of translation experience (mainly Spanish to English) mostly on topics relating to the arts and architecture. Can anyone point me toward information on pricing book-length translations?
Specifically, is it standard or not to adjust per-word price for longer work?

Hayley Wakenshaw
Hayley Wakenshaw  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:57
Member (2018)
Dutch to English
It depends on the language pair, the genre, and the client! Oct 4, 2022

Whatever the rate, it's likely to be less than your standard per-word rate.

I've translated four books from Dutch to English for a major international publishing house. These were for their thriller and romance imprints. That sort of book pays less than literary translations, and I'll bet it pays less than non-fiction book translation. I eventually negotiated them up to around 6 eurocents per word (and a translator credit in the last book, which they'd not wanted to do before then.)
... See more
Whatever the rate, it's likely to be less than your standard per-word rate.

I've translated four books from Dutch to English for a major international publishing house. These were for their thriller and romance imprints. That sort of book pays less than literary translations, and I'll bet it pays less than non-fiction book translation. I eventually negotiated them up to around 6 eurocents per word (and a translator credit in the last book, which they'd not wanted to do before then.)

That's a 40% discount on my standard rate, which sounds and feels low. But it's useful to bear in mind that you'll be getting paid for nearly every hour you work. That's because , the bigger the project, the less time you'll spend dealing with emails, marketing, pitching for work, drawing up invoices, chasing payments, and so on. You might find that, on an hourly basis, you're earning the same or even more than you would by doing short projects for several clients.

[Edited at 2022-10-04 20:14 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-10-05 05:07 GMT]
Collapse

Francisco Vare
Emanuele Vacca
Axel Dittmer
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei

Vanessa Kamp
Vanessa Kamp
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for sharing your insight Oct 4, 2022

Thanks so much Hayley for sharing your insight, very helpful!

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
No discount Oct 5, 2022

I've done a couple of dozen books, mostly nonfiction, and never given a quantity discount. If the customer presses me for one, I just say that large jobs can be a liability rather than an asset, because I have to turn down work for other people.

Dan Lucas
mughwI
Philippe Etienne
Stephanie Mitchel
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Tina Vonhof (X)

Vanessa Kamp
Vanessa Kamp
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good to know Oct 5, 2022

Thank you Phil for sharing your experience and perspective, quite empowering.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Pricing book-length translation

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »