Transferring USD via Wise and receiving EUR?
Thread poster: Linh Hoang
Linh Hoang
Linh Hoang  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 00:55
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
Oct 5, 2022

Hi all,

"Dear Support Team,
One of my clients sent me the fund(s) in USD (as they confirmed), but I received the fund(s) in EUR. It happened twice.
What is the issue? How should my client/I do so that I can receive the fund(s) in USD (as they send)."

Above is the message that I sent to Wise Support Team and I got the following reply "So if you have questions, you’ll need to ask the sender directly. They’ll be able to track the transfer from their Wise ac
... See more
Hi all,

"Dear Support Team,
One of my clients sent me the fund(s) in USD (as they confirmed), but I received the fund(s) in EUR. It happened twice.
What is the issue? How should my client/I do so that I can receive the fund(s) in USD (as they send)."

Above is the message that I sent to Wise Support Team and I got the following reply "So if you have questions, you’ll need to ask the sender directly. They’ll be able to track the transfer from their Wise account."

Actually, I've contacted the sender but they confirmed that they made all payment in USD.

Really need your advice.

Thank you so much.

Linh

Screenshot_1

[Edited at 2022-10-05 08:23 GMT]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 19:55
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Just guessing, but Oct 5, 2022

Linh Hoang wrote:
I've contacted the sender but they confirmed that they made all payment in USD.

I'm just guessing here, but if I look at the front page of Wise, it looks like Wise automatically chooses a receiving currency that may not be the same as the sending currency. So perhaps it's true that they *sent* the money in USD, but Wise then converted it to EUR because they (the client) did not look closely at the currency stated in the "receiving" field.

Capture-1

I've never sent funds via Wise, so I don't know what the screens look like to a logged-in sender, though.

Linh Hoang

Linh Hoang
Vietnam
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Same guess Oct 5, 2022

Thanks Samuel. I've also mentioned the same thing to the Sender but they said it it not the case.
I will try to find it out and discuss with the client.

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 18:55
Danish to English
+ ...
Why is it transferred to your bank account? Oct 5, 2022

I noticed that the amount is transferred directly to your bank account. Wise can only transfer an amount to a bank account in the same currency as that account.

Do you have USD and EUR balances with Wise? And did you provide your client with your USD Wise bank account and routing numbers or did you give your client your local EUR IBAN for your bank account? When I receive Wise payments, they are credited to my respective Wise currency balance, e.g. USD, GBP or CAD, and then I exchan
... See more
I noticed that the amount is transferred directly to your bank account. Wise can only transfer an amount to a bank account in the same currency as that account.

Do you have USD and EUR balances with Wise? And did you provide your client with your USD Wise bank account and routing numbers or did you give your client your local EUR IBAN for your bank account? When I receive Wise payments, they are credited to my respective Wise currency balance, e.g. USD, GBP or CAD, and then I exchange it to EUR myself when I want and transfer it in EUR to my EUR bank account if I want. I give my clients my Wise account numbers, not my local bank account number.

If you don't have any Wise currency balances, they exchange the amount to the currency that matches the bank account they know.
Collapse

Linh Hoang
Verena Zipperer

Linh Hoang
Vietnam
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good idea! Oct 5, 2022

Yes, the client transferred directly to my local bank account (VND), which I had provided before creating an Wise account. It automatically convert the transferred amount into VND.

Thanks for your good idea. I will provide the client my USD Wise Account next time. I will convert the money myself (as what we can do with Paypal).

Thank you

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Do you have USD and EUR balances with Wise? And did you provide your client with your USD Wise bank account and routing numbers or did you give your client your local EUR IBAN for your bank account? When I receive Wise payments, they are credited to my respective Wise currency balance, e.g. USD, GBP or CAD, and then I exchange it to EUR myself when I want and transfer it in EUR to my EUR bank account if I want. I give my clients my Wise account numbers, not my local bank account number.

If you don't have any Wise currency balances, they exchange the amount to the currency that matches the bank account they know.

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 18:55
Danish to English
+ ...
ACH Oct 5, 2022

Just one thing: be sure to ask them to send an ACH transfer, as wire is extremely expensive, costing both the client and you a high fee. Of course, if the client also has a Wise account, it's not necessary to specify.

Linh Hoang

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transferring USD via Wise and receiving EUR?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »