Thread poster: Katharina Boewig
Katharina Boewig
Katharina Boewig
Local time: 13:27
Catalan to German
+ ...
Nov 17, 2001

Hi,

I just found out, that from january on, everybody who is not a Platinum or whatever member has to PAY for offering a bid! I think it\'s pretty hard, I\'m nor a platinum or whatever member, I\'m just a free member, because I\'m not convinced about paying fees. Now they try to force the people to take up a membership or to PAY for a bid offer. I think it\'s too much, somebody who is just in because he wants to learn and perhaps find some jobs, somebody who just became a freelance tra
... See more
Hi,

I just found out, that from january on, everybody who is not a Platinum or whatever member has to PAY for offering a bid! I think it\'s pretty hard, I\'m nor a platinum or whatever member, I\'m just a free member, because I\'m not convinced about paying fees. Now they try to force the people to take up a membership or to PAY for a bid offer. I think it\'s too much, somebody who is just in because he wants to learn and perhaps find some jobs, somebody who just became a freelance translator, who is struggling to survive, now is forced to pay for something, which usually was free. I thought this site was a non-commercial one, but perhaps I was wrong. Somebody with me or do I see it wrong??????

Kata
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 07:27
SITE FOUNDER
pay your way OR earn your way Nov 17, 2001

The topic has been covered elsewhere in the forums, so I wont elaborate, but the \"price\" for bidding, for those who are not paying members of the site, will be either $1 or 100 browniz--your choice. To earn 100 browniz you need only to enter 10 terms in to the group glossary, so I do not believe this will be a barrier to anyone serious about being a translator.

One reason for this charge is to create revenue for the site (which is in fact commercial.) The other reason to i
... See more
The topic has been covered elsewhere in the forums, so I wont elaborate, but the \"price\" for bidding, for those who are not paying members of the site, will be either $1 or 100 browniz--your choice. To earn 100 browniz you need only to enter 10 terms in to the group glossary, so I do not believe this will be a barrier to anyone serious about being a translator.

One reason for this charge is to create revenue for the site (which is in fact commercial.) The other reason to implement the fee is that there are too many non-serious bids being posted. This charge will help to ensure that bidders put at least a modicum of consideration into each bid.
Collapse

John Kinory (X)
John Kinory (X)
Local time: 12:27
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Kudoz or Browniz for bids? Nov 17, 2001

Henry,

I see where you\'re coming from. But nobody tells us these things, do they? I didn\'t even know that we get points for entering terms. Also, will Kudoz count towards bids? And will we lose those when we use them for bidding?

Usenet thrives on 3 things: information, information, information.

Best,

Yoni

Telesforo Fernandez (X)
Telesforo Fernandez (X)
Local time: 16:57
English to Spanish
+ ...
It is a good idea Nov 17, 2001

It is necessary to discourage not so serious bidders. Now, apparently lots of people are

bidding since it is free.

From January bidders will have to pay 1$ (or 100 browniz) for bidding.

But the problem is that anybody can post a job without giving his name and address and translators have no means to check the antecedents of the job posters.

In short,does it mean that any Micky, Dicky and Johny can post any attractive translation jo
... See more
It is necessary to discourage not so serious bidders. Now, apparently lots of people are

bidding since it is free.

From January bidders will have to pay 1$ (or 100 browniz) for bidding.

But the problem is that anybody can post a job without giving his name and address and translators have no means to check the antecedents of the job posters.

In short,does it mean that any Micky, Dicky and Johny can post any attractive translation job and you bid for it by paying 1 $ (or 100 browniz) without even knowing who the job poster is?

Nice way to shell out your dollars to bid on unknown job posters and loose them.

Will translators have full details of the job bidders before they part with their 1 $ (or 100 browniz)?

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-11-17 22:12 ]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-11-17 22:30 ]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-11-17 23:11 ]
Collapse

reliable
reliable  Identity Verified
United States
French to English
+ ...
Only a dollar (or 100 browniz) Nov 17, 2001

I agree with Telesforo - I won\'t mind paying a dollar or 100 Brownies, but I would like to know something about the companies that place bids on this site - such as how they pay and if they pay promptly. Perhaps if they are know to others translators then they could be rated ?

yacine
yacine  Identity Verified
Arabic to French
+ ...
1 dollar bidding (or 100 browniz) Nov 17, 2001

Dear all,

I think Telesforo is right when he is saying that paying one dollar (or 100 browniz) will stop non serious people ofering jobs. The trouble is that translators might stop bidding if they are not sure they ill have a feedback. Translators should be able to have some informations (telephone and fax numbers, name of the contact person and possibility of signing a contract) about the posting people.

As Henry said, undiplomatically, I am afraid that fom January 1 st, a l
... See more
Dear all,

I think Telesforo is right when he is saying that paying one dollar (or 100 browniz) will stop non serious people ofering jobs. The trouble is that translators might stop bidding if they are not sure they ill have a feedback. Translators should be able to have some informations (telephone and fax numbers, name of the contact person and possibility of signing a contract) about the posting people.

As Henry said, undiplomatically, I am afraid that fom January 1 st, a lot of translators will have to earn their way. Was it what Henry wanted ? I do not think so. These same translators might go elsewhere.

As I already said it to Henry, as far as I am concerned,I will stop, for other reasons, answering Kudoz questions from January 1st.

I hope Henry and the staff know what they are doing and will see more incoming translators than outcoming translators.

I let you think and comment

Yacine

Collapse

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:27
Member (2004)
English to Italian
agree with Telesforo and...Henry Nov 18, 2001

I agree with $1 fee or 100 BrowniZ. Too many people bid for jobs without being qualified for it. Telesforo is right regarding the anonimity of the people who post the jobs. It\'s a bit silly to waste your money without even knowing the identity of the posters.

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI

Telesforo Fernandez (X)
Telesforo Fernandez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
thanks Giovanni Nov 18, 2001

Thanks for voicing your concern. I hope others will also respond.

We should be prepared to pay a good fee to PROZ.COM to allow it to render us services.

Any transparency requires payment. Let us pay well and ask for full transparency.

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
It's a fair proposition Nov 18, 2001

I subscribe to what has been said by Henry, Telesforo and Giovanni.

$1 (or 100 browniz) for a bid is no disaster. Compare other sites (Aquairius) where you have to divert a percentage of your invoice.

AND

you can earn BrowniZ by helping with which you can pay.

Mats Wiman

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:27
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Identity of job posters Nov 18, 2001

We, as translators, are identifiable by name, telephone, fax, address, professional association, qualifications, language pair, kudoz and the whole lot.

Moreover, we are required to provide references and rates to unknown entities, and they may well do anything with these information. As far as we know they may be just gauging the current rates or trying to identify customers from our data.

Job postings very often are identified only by a nickname.

I t
... See more
We, as translators, are identifiable by name, telephone, fax, address, professional association, qualifications, language pair, kudoz and the whole lot.

Moreover, we are required to provide references and rates to unknown entities, and they may well do anything with these information. As far as we know they may be just gauging the current rates or trying to identify customers from our data.

Job postings very often are identified only by a nickname.

I think this is unfair, prone to abuse and unbalanced.

I agree with the 1$/100 Browniz fee as it will help to screen out some indiscriminate bidding, but I would like to see this applied only to registered, identifiable and legitimate businesses.

ProZ could implement a policy where all agencies willing to use the Job section are required to register and the translators will be able to see their details before placing a bid.

I personally would prefer to pay and to know the full identity of the other party.

Gianfranco

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-11-18 05:58 ]
Collapse

Telesforo Fernandez (X)
Telesforo Fernandez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Good suggestion Nov 18, 2001

We need to know who the job posters are.

Will PROZ.com ask the job posters to give their full details when they post their jobs, in order to protect the people who are paying you 1$ (or 100 browniz)?

So far there has been no categorical answer.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Gianfranco's suggestion is basically the plan Nov 18, 2001

At least initially, the fee will apply only to jobs posted by agencies that have registered with ProZ.com and have certain contact data on file.

Note that for approximately one year, any member who enters an agency name has been required by the registration script to enter an address, etc. The same requirement is not made for freelancers. So although ProZ.com\'s doors are open to anyone, a bit more is asked of agencies.

Non-serious bids are a waste of ev
... See more
At least initially, the fee will apply only to jobs posted by agencies that have registered with ProZ.com and have certain contact data on file.

Note that for approximately one year, any member who enters an agency name has been required by the registration script to enter an address, etc. The same requirement is not made for freelancers. So although ProZ.com\'s doors are open to anyone, a bit more is asked of agencies.

Non-serious bids are a waste of everyone\'s time. So are non-serious job offers. We are working to eliminate both.
Collapse

Trudy Peters
Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
+ ...
Better job description Nov 18, 2001

While you\'re at it, Henry, can you ask the posters to give more information about the job? \"German-English medical (or technical),\" for instance, isn\'t good enough. A lot of useless bids could be avoided if the poster were more specific about the requirements.

Trudy

Rick Henry
Rick Henry  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:27
Italian to English
+ ...
Requiring more information from job posters. Nov 18, 2001

I think the $1/100 brownieZ is reasonable. If you are getting work from the board, your $1 (or 100 browniz) went to good use. I do, however, believe that the *job poster* needs to provide more than just an email address. I believe a full address as well as phone number should be required in addition to the email address. That way, there\'s more than one way to contact to job poster (who may or may not be legitimate).

Mis dos centavitos.

R.
... See more
I think the $1/100 brownieZ is reasonable. If you are getting work from the board, your $1 (or 100 browniz) went to good use. I do, however, believe that the *job poster* needs to provide more than just an email address. I believe a full address as well as phone number should be required in addition to the email address. That way, there\'s more than one way to contact to job poster (who may or may not be legitimate).

Mis dos centavitos.

R.

==

Quote:

Non-serious bids are a waste of everyone\'s time. So are non-serious job offers. We are working to eliminate both.

Collapse

Alexandra Tussing
Alexandra Tussing  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
English to Russian
+ ...
Commentary Nov 18, 2001

In agreement with all the colleagues who spoke before me, I think it is essential that you require the job poster to provide actual contact information, such as the name of the company, telephone and fax numbers, and preferably the name of a contact person, before you post the job. Of course, detailed desctiption of the job itself would be great, too.

On the other hand, remember, we talked about it elsewhere - some people are bidding at dumping prices, and there was the idea (widely s
... See more
In agreement with all the colleagues who spoke before me, I think it is essential that you require the job poster to provide actual contact information, such as the name of the company, telephone and fax numbers, and preferably the name of a contact person, before you post the job. Of course, detailed desctiption of the job itself would be great, too.

On the other hand, remember, we talked about it elsewhere - some people are bidding at dumping prices, and there was the idea (widely supported as I remember) to establish minimum price you can bid, at about 8 cents per word? Is anyone working on that?

Of course, it is important to generate site revenue, it is commercial, etc. But it still has to be done for the benefit of the participants, and not at their expense.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

new bid fee ($1 or 100 browniz) from january on

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »