Thread poster: raquel sevilla
raquel sevilla
raquel sevilla  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:29
French to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 12, 2012

Hi,

I started working with my new Multiterm and tried to create a new termbase by converting an Excell file (Microsoft Excel 97-2003 (.xls)).
I've also got a new computer and I'm using Microsoft Excel 2010 (Starter version).
But when I try to convert the file an error message appears, saying

" The conversion option could not ve initialised properly. Microsoft Excel cannot be started. Verify if it is installed on this machine".

Microsoft Excel
... See more
Hi,

I started working with my new Multiterm and tried to create a new termbase by converting an Excell file (Microsoft Excel 97-2003 (.xls)).
I've also got a new computer and I'm using Microsoft Excel 2010 (Starter version).
But when I try to convert the file an error message appears, saying

" The conversion option could not ve initialised properly. Microsoft Excel cannot be started. Verify if it is installed on this machine".

Microsoft Excel Starter 2010 is installed indeed .

Have you ever had the same problem when converting files for Multiterm?

Do you think working with Microsoft Starter version can be an issue?

Thanks,

Raquel
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:29
Finnish to French
No VBA in Office 2010 Starter edition Nov 12, 2012

You cannot use templates/macros in Word, Excel or PowerPoint with the Starter edition of Office 2010, since Microsoft left VBA (Visual Basic for Applications) out of it.

Any other edition would be suitable. However, Trados templates are incompatible with the 64-bit version of Office 2010 AFAIK, so you should make sure you install the 32-bit version.

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
Local time: 03:29
English to German
Office Starter ... Nov 12, 2012

raquel sevilla wrote:

Do you think working with Microsoft Starter version can be an issue?

AFAIK the Office Starter editions do feature neither macros nor MS Automation, but at least one of these features is necessary to use/control an MS Office software (e. g. Excel) programmatically from outside (e. g. by MultiTerm).

Nevertheless try to start Excel upfront; maybe it helps. And if you can get help on site from a computer expert, ask him or her to look for a suitable Active X component on your PC or in the web. But probably this will not be successful.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Microsoft Excel Starter 2010 with Multiterm 2011

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »