word template
Thread poster: garrett higgins
garrett higgins
garrett higgins
Local time: 17:39
Italian to English
May 22, 2014

Hi. How do I change and save the Word template so that I don't have to change the settings each time I open a new document? I know this should be simple but I can't seem to be able to do it - it goes back to the original 'Normal' each time. thanks.

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:39
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Any document May 22, 2014

You can use any document as a template. Simply right-click on it in Explorer and select New… Word will open with a fresh new document containing everything from the original one. Or, if you want to always use a document as a template, change its filename extension from .doc(x) to .dot(x). Then, a double-click on it will create a new document.

[Edited at 2014-05-22 09:36 GMT]

Debbie Fung-A-Wing
Debbie Fung-A-Wing
United States
Local time: 12:39
English to Dutch
+ ...
Word template May 23, 2014

After you made your style changes, go to File > Save as > and select "Save as type: Word Template" (from drop down list), using the same file name ("Normal"). This should override the original Word Template.

You could also use your own name for the template, i.e. Translation.
To use this format, Click on File > New > My Templates, and select "Translation".

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
I'm interested May 24, 2014

What sort of settings would this store? Are they different from the "Word options" (that's what they're called in Word 2007, anyway) that you define?

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:39
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
.dot template contents May 25, 2014

Sheila Wilson wrote:

What sort of settings would this store? Are they different from the "Word options" (that's what they're called in Word 2007, anyway) that you define?

The normal.dot template stores your default font, language, paragraph, style, autotext, macros, etc. You can see (and modify) some of these options if you right click on the "normal" style icon in your home tab.

Word options set other things like autocorrect options, whether to show paragraph marks, where to save your documents, how copy/paste works etc.

When you set up a new computer, it's useful to copy your old normal.dot template to save customising it from scratch.
More thoughts here:
http://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2014/02/25/translation-programs/

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Thanks, Emma May 25, 2014

Emma Goldsmith wrote:
When you set up a new computer, it's useful to copy your old normal.dot template to save customising it from scratch.
More thoughts here:
http://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2014/02/25/translation-programs/

I haven't changed computers lately although I probably should have done. I "got a man in" and he ended up reformatting the disk and putting some things back for me, but it's taken me weeks to get other things sorted. I learned to my cost that there are a few things that I should have been backing up, but they were in my C disk and I didn't think I had to back them up. Strangely enough one of the few things that went simply was the PerfectIt reload.

I really envy you and others who understand how these things work. At 58, it's always going to be a problem for me. I just hope that there are no young translators who are as computer-illiterate as I am.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

word template

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »