Thread poster: Sachiko Deguzman
Sachiko Deguzman
Sachiko Deguzman  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:38
English to Japanese
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Dec 16, 2014

Thank you so much to all of you who helped me out by sharing your opinions.

Before everyone posted about hourly rate, I got to see the document. It was actually pretty good translation and terminologies were accurate up to the point that I briefly read through. The PM explained that the 2/3 of the document was already proofread by another Japanese native speaker and it just needs light proofreading. They changed to $0.0275 per word for this part. And the remaining part was not proof
... See more
Thank you so much to all of you who helped me out by sharing your opinions.

Before everyone posted about hourly rate, I got to see the document. It was actually pretty good translation and terminologies were accurate up to the point that I briefly read through. The PM explained that the 2/3 of the document was already proofread by another Japanese native speaker and it just needs light proofreading. They changed to $0.0275 per word for this part. And the remaining part was not proofread yet, so they offered $0.05 per word. So I decided to accept it.

After I read everyone's posts here, I do agree about charging hourly rate instead of rate per word. I do not know why I did not think about it from the first.... I hope the quality of the translation remains good throughout the document so I do not have to spend extra time on this. If not, it will be a lesson well learned....

I also agree about the time to take on proofreading. I thought 1000 words per hour is too much of expectation, but I was not sure if it is just me going too slow or their expectation is too much. I am glad that I posted this here and learn what you all think. Thank you so much again for taking time and sharing your thoughts!

S. D.
Collapse

Miguel Carmona
Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:38
English to Spanish
... Dec 16, 2014

English into Japanese

S. D. wrote:

One agency contacted me for a proofreading job of financial document. The word count is about 25K.
I quoted $0.05 per word, which is half of my translation rate...

I would have thought EN-JP translation rates were quite higher than US$0.10/word.

[Edited at 2014-12-16 16:18 GMT]

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 08:38
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
It depends a lot Dec 16, 2014

Thomas Rebotier wrote:

However, I would consider both word counts low by today's standards. 2K a day is what things were before CAT and dictation.

Many translators do not use dictation, and it depends a lot on your language whether 2000 words a day is low for translation.
I never promise to do more than 2000 'new' words a day, CAT or no CAT, and find it hard work to get up to 10 000 words a week.
I am usually counting Danish words, and 1000 increase by 20 - 25% when translated into English, so that is up to 2500 target words a day.

Apart from that, CATs and dictation do not make proofreading faster. Again, I only promise 1000 words an hour if I know the translator or have seen that the translation is excellent. I do not check terminology etc. when I am working at that speed.

And I do NOT proofread 8 hours a day... Or if I do, I spread it over the day and do not proofread again the next day.

I think the agency is asking a lot of the OP, and I would not agree to those terms.

Sachiko Deguzman
Sachiko Deguzman  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:38
English to Japanese
TOPIC STARTER
Not really... Dec 16, 2014

Miguel Carmona wrote:

English into Japanese

S. D. wrote:

One agency contacted me for a proofreading job of financial document. The word count is about 25K.
I quoted $0.05 per word, which is half of my translation rate...

I would have thought EN-JP translation rates were quite higher than US$0.10/word.

[Edited at 2014-12-16 16:18 GMT]

I see lots of jobs offered at $0.05/word, even at $0.03/word, for translation. The worst I have seen is $0.01 for proofreading! Of course, I won't take this rate and rather clean my house

S.D.

David Turner
David Turner  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:38
French to English
+ ...
The mere mention of the word "proofreading"... Dec 16, 2014

... sets alarm bells ringing for me. Why do they want the translation "proofread"? Has it been refused by the customer? Has it been done by the customer who isn't a native speaker? Has it been done by a student translator in a developing country at a fraction of the normal price? Is it MT?

I see proofreading as quickly reading through the work of a reliable, experienced and preferably personally known colleague, dotting an occasional "i", crossing an odd "t" or two and polishing the
... See more
... sets alarm bells ringing for me. Why do they want the translation "proofread"? Has it been refused by the customer? Has it been done by the customer who isn't a native speaker? Has it been done by a student translator in a developing country at a fraction of the normal price? Is it MT?

I see proofreading as quickly reading through the work of a reliable, experienced and preferably personally known colleague, dotting an occasional "i", crossing an odd "t" or two and polishing the style a bit here and there. It doesn't mean correcting or retranslating large chunks.

In French, they refer to it as "relecture" and that's just what it should be: "reading through" or "checking" the translation, making very few changes in the process.

Unfortunately it more often than not turns out to be the exact opposite: when they say "relecture", they really mean "extensive correction" at a knock-down price, which is why I generally turn down such offers.
Collapse

Little Woods
Little Woods  Identity Verified
Vietnam
English to Vietnamese
Actually, in some cases CAT makes me take more time to handle a text Dec 17, 2014

I see the increasing trend of using CAT but after using it, I found that in some cases, and with the research, it takes more time to deal with the tags produced by the CAT. Especially when the orders of words are reversed and so on. I work faster without CAT and only with a self-created glossary.

Thomas Rebotier wrote:

However, I would consider both word counts low by today's standards. 2K a day is what things were before CAT and dictation.

[Edited at 2014-12-17 01:38 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Daily output for proofreading to calculate the rate

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »