Thread poster: Sergio Kot
Sergio Kot
Sergio Kot  Identity Verified
Israel
Member (2012)
Spanish to Hebrew
+ ...
Sep 15, 2022

I came across a ProZ job post (https://www.proz.com/job/1942108) with the following template line: Poster country: Palestine. I wish to enquire, please enlighten me: where precisely is this "country" located? Which are its national anthem & currency? Which government system does it have? What's the International Call Code of the country "Palestine"?

Due disclosure: The official address in t
... See more
I came across a ProZ job post (https://www.proz.com/job/1942108) with the following template line: Poster country: Palestine. I wish to enquire, please enlighten me: where precisely is this "country" located? Which are its national anthem & currency? Which government system does it have? What's the International Call Code of the country "Palestine"?

Due disclosure: The official address in the translation agency's profile says "Palestinian Territory". This has a different meaning, in both the semantic and geopolitical aspects.

TXS!
Collapse

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:54
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Why? Sep 15, 2022

Haven't you anything better to do?

Tom in London
expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Daryo

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:54
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Hopefully this will help you Sep 15, 2022

https://www.palestineportal.org/learn-teach/key-issues/settlements-and-the-occupation/

expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Daryo

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 23:54
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Palestine Sep 15, 2022

Sergio Kot wrote:
Poster country: Palestine. I wish to enquire, please enlighten me: where precisely is this "country" located?

Hmm, how shall we explain this without talking about politics (which is against forum rules)? I'm going to assume that you are genuinely confused and are genuinely looking for a neutral, objective answer.

Traditionally, Palestine is just another name for Israel. Or rather, Israel is just another name for Palestine. Or rather, Palestine is a region, and the country Israel occupies most of that region.

Since about fifty years ago, most people use the word "Palestine" for the parts of Israel that are under martial law, and they use the word "Israel" for the parts of Palestine that are not. They use "Palestine" for the parts where one half of the population may only enter and leave with police permission and they use "Israel" for the parts where only one half of the population are allowed to buy property.

It is likely that the job poster is from a region in Israel where people use the word "Palestine" to refer to the country that they live in. You would have done a similar thing if you had posted a job.

[Edited at 2022-09-15 11:56 GMT]

expressisverbis
Anton Konashenok
P.L.F. Persio
Daryo

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 18:54
SITE STAFF
ProZ.com uses ISO codes for setting locations and languages Sep 15, 2022

Hi all,

In general, ProZ.com uses ISO codes for setting locations and languages available for selection on the site (PS and PSE in this case).

In the interest of avoiding discussion which falls outside of the scope of ProZ.com, I'm going to go ahead and lock this thread. Thanks.

Jared

expressisverbis
Barbara Carrara
Tom in London
Wolfgang Schoene
Robert Rietvelt
P.L.F. Persio
Jennifer Levey

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »