Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Romanian to English electronic dix, not the online or mobile-phone kind.
Thread poster: Yngve Roennike
lucca
lucca
Romania
Local time: 01:14
English to Romanian
U3 Apr 2, 2008

OK Yngve. I'm glad it worked U3 is great for laptops (and translators!)

Yngve Roennike
Yngve Roennike
Local time: 18:14
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sales prohibition :-( Apr 7, 2008

Yes, that's working, however, the order from the company recommended by Dan Topor providing the Romanian e-dictionaries on these USB sticks refuses to export from Romania for less than $500.

Isn't that in violation of some kind of law, e.g., within the EU that specifically restricts blanket limitations on inter-country sales? I would think this would be legally actionable, if one had the time and inclination to pursue this. Last time I checked Romania was still an EU member. What
... See more
Yes, that's working, however, the order from the company recommended by Dan Topor providing the Romanian e-dictionaries on these USB sticks refuses to export from Romania for less than $500.

Isn't that in violation of some kind of law, e.g., within the EU that specifically restricts blanket limitations on inter-country sales? I would think this would be legally actionable, if one had the time and inclination to pursue this. Last time I checked Romania was still an EU member. What am I supposed to to in this case?
Collapse

lucca
lucca
Romania
English to Romanian
Sales limitations Apr 7, 2008

Yngve Roennike wrote:
Isn't that in violation of some kind of law, e.g., within the EU that specifically restricts blanket limitations on inter-country sales? I would think this would be legally actionable, if one had the time and inclination to pursue this. Last time I checked Romania was still an EU member. What am I supposed to to in this case?

Well, Yngve, last time I checked the United States were still not an EU member
Now, seriously. Please, ttake a look at International Delivery at Amazon or some other major vendors. They don't deliver some (many) goods to Romania or to some other countries. Personally, I'm quite unhappy about this, but there's little one can do.
I don't like what the site reccomended by Mr. Topor does, although they are, probably, within their rights as vendors.
Maybe they have to comply with some regulations. After all, a memory stick is "electronics" and an e-dictionary is "software".

Bogdan Burghelea
Bogdan Burghelea  Identity Verified
Romania
English to German
+ ...
Free advice Apr 7, 2008

Yngve Roennike wrote:

Hire a good attorney!

Yngve Roennike
Yngve Roennike
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How about....? Apr 8, 2008

Maybe some merciful soul in Romania proper would take pity on me and assist me in some fashion
What's the worth of $130 (the unit price of this USB-sticked dictionary) in Romania? Some $1000 in the US? So it's an even steeper price for individuals/companies inside that country that this unabashedly greedy company is charging (and, yes, they are in violation of EU law).

Natalia Mackevich
Natalia Mackevich  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:14
English to Russian
+ ...
In need of advice Sep 13, 2009

Dear colleagues,
I would like to ask for your help again. It seems this topic has not been answered (I've tried to search it, as well as many others).

I need 2 dictionaries: 1) Romanian-Russian, 2) Romanian-English. Please note that I have no interest in translation INTO Romanian, only FROM Romanian. I want to find really good dictionaries for PC (a usual PC, Windows XP), preferably downloadable or on a CD/DVD NOT on USB. I don't ask for free dictionaries, as I already have se
... See more
Dear colleagues,
I would like to ask for your help again. It seems this topic has not been answered (I've tried to search it, as well as many others).

I need 2 dictionaries: 1) Romanian-Russian, 2) Romanian-English. Please note that I have no interest in translation INTO Romanian, only FROM Romanian. I want to find really good dictionaries for PC (a usual PC, Windows XP), preferably downloadable or on a CD/DVD NOT on USB. I don't ask for free dictionaries, as I already have several. What I need is one professional large dictionary for each language combination (Romanian-Russian, Romanian-English) instead of multiple small online and offline dictionaries and business/medical/technical etc. glossaries. If you know where one can order/purchase/download such a dictionary, please let me know or give me a link.
Thank you in advance.
Natalia MC,
London, UK.
Collapse

Ovidiu Martin Jurj
Ovidiu Martin Jurj
Romania
German to Romanian
+ ...
A possible solution Sep 16, 2009

Yngve Roennike wrote:

Maybe some merciful soul in Romania proper would take pity on me and assist me in some fashion
What's the worth of $130 (the unit price of this USB-sticked dictionary) in Romania? Some $1000 in the US? So it's an even steeper price for individuals/companies inside that country that this unabashedly greedy company is charging (and, yes, they are in violation of EU law).

Hi Yngve

Of course they are in violation of EU law and of any other reasonable law. I think it's a great impertinence what they are doing, because it is a form of discrimination of certain customers. I often buy different things online; it is true what Lucian says, namely that certain online stores do not accept payment from Romania, or do not ship to Romania, OK, but one thing is sure: their prices are the same for all customers. I mean the prices of their products, because shipping fees may vary. But the products they sell have and must have the same prices for each customer, otherwise it would definitely be a case of discrimination. Unfortunately this company is not the only Romanian company that makes such a discrimination; I know there are also certain bookstores that do the same: they take more money from foreign customers than from Romanian customers, and this is not fair. I don't know whether a written complaint sent to OPC - the Romanian Consumer Protection Authority would solve the problem.

Well, a possible solution for you is to ask a friend or a person you trust, who lives here in Romania, to buy the dictionary for you and then to send it to you as a gift. This is completely legal, I think, because everybody in the world has the right to buy things and then give them to friends, relatives etc. as a present. But there is a problem with this solution: the sellers will issue an invoice for the Romanian buyer, so you won't be able to use this invoice for accounting and tax purposes, because your name won't appear on the invoice, so you cannot deduce this expense from your profit or something. But you'll pay less for the dictionary.

Yngve Roennike
Yngve Roennike
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Vendor issue Sep 17, 2009

Thanks for answering this post, which goes back to last year, in fact.

I apologize for being a bit tempestuous - I was reacting to the frustrations thrown at me.

I guess my question then is: Since you are based in Romania, could you be such a person, if so please contact me off-forum at your convenience.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Romanian to English electronic dix, not the online or mobile-phone kind.

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »