Thread poster: Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 20:16
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Mar 5, 2010

Although this was not posted to me by ProZ, I thought I would let you know of what seems to be a new scam. Names and sums of money have been eliminated.

"MONEY TRANSFER OF xxx.

Dear Partner,

I presumed that all is well with you and your family. Please let this do not be a surprise proposal to you because i got your contact information from the international directory in few weeks ago before i decided to contact you on this magnitude and lucrative transactio
... See more
Although this was not posted to me by ProZ, I thought I would let you know of what seems to be a new scam. Names and sums of money have been eliminated.

"MONEY TRANSFER OF xxx.

Dear Partner,

I presumed that all is well with you and your family. Please let this do not be a surprise proposal to you because i got your contact information from the international directory in few weeks ago before i decided to contact you on this magnitude and lucrative transaction for our future survival in life. Moreover, i have laid all the solemn trust in you before i decided to disclose this successful & confidential transaction to you.

I, xxx, THE FOREIGN ACCOUNT MANAGER of our bank and i have had the intent to contact you over this financial transaction worth the sum of xxx MILLION, xxx HUNDRED THOUSAND HUNDRED THOUSAND UNITED STATES DOLLARS(xxx) for our success. This is an abandoned sum that belongs to one of our bank foreign customers who died along with his entire family through plane crash disaster since few years ago. Meanwhile i was very fortune to came across the deceased file when i was arranging the old and abandoned customers files in other to sign and submit to the entire bank management for an official re-documentation and audit of the year against 2008.

Be informed clearly that it was stated in our banking rules and regulations which was signed lawfully that if such fund remains unclaimed till the period of 6years started from the date when the beneficiary died, the money will be transferred into the treasury as an unclaimed fund. As an honor and advantage bestowed to our foreign customers base on the rules guiding our bank, it was stated obviously that if you are not a Burkina Faso citizen, you have the absolute authority to claim the fund hence you are a foreigner despite your differences from the country of origin of the deceased. So the request of you as a foreigner is necessary to apply for the claim and transfer of the fund smoothly into your reliable bank account as the NEXT OF KIN OR EXTENDED RELATIVE to the deceased.
On the transfer of this fund into your account, { 40% } will be your share in respect of the account provision and your assistance rendered during the transfer of the fund into your bank account,{ 50%} will be my share being the coordinator of the transaction while the rest { 10% } being will be shared to the respectable Organizations Centers such as Charity
Organization, Motherless Babies homes, and helpless disabled people in the World.

If you are really sure of your trustworthy, accountability and confidentiality on his transaction, contact me and agree that you will not change your mind to cheat or disappoint me when the fund have getting into your account. Besides you should not entertain any fear because i am sure of the success as an insider in the bank ok. Please reply with the assurance, include your private telephone and fax numbers necessary for facilitate an easy communication in this transaction. As soon as you reply, so that i will let you know the next step to follow in order to finalize this transaction immediately.

Yours sincerely
xxx"

This seems to be a new type of scam, as charities (motherless babies' homes etc) are mentioned. So beware!
Collapse

Claudio Porcellana (X)
Claudio Porcellana (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
ehm .. Mar 5, 2010

the Nigerian scam is as old as the hills ...
;-D
indeed, paper versions were used far before the email era
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advance-fee_fraud

BTW, if you know Italian enough, or if you find a localized version, see this hilarious movie that features a similar scam, the ambassador to Katongo inherita
... See more
the Nigerian scam is as old as the hills ...
;-D
indeed, paper versions were used far before the email era
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advance-fee_fraud

BTW, if you know Italian enough, or if you find a localized version, see this hilarious movie that features a similar scam, the ambassador to Katongo inheritance ...
http://www.antoniodecurtis.org/truffa.htm

Claudio

[Modificato alle 2010-03-05 16:26 GMT]
Collapse

Susanna Garcia
Susanna Garcia  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:16
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Scam Mar 5, 2010

How mean are you!!! All those poor motherless babies you're refusing to help....I'm surprised he didn't chuck in some cute abandoned puppies for good measure.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:16
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Very old indeed... Mar 5, 2010

...but thanks for posting!

jaymin
jaymin
Canada
Local time: 19:16
German to Korean
+ ...
old-fashioned .. Mar 5, 2010

I miss those days!!!
They are indeed using this template, still.

Katarina Delic
Katarina Delic  Identity Verified
Member (2008)
English to Serbian
+ ...
Here is what I received today Mar 5, 2010

Here is the message I received. I did not click on any links in the message. God knows what can happen.

Listen, you won't believe this, but it's true, and the wireless phone companies DO NOT want you, or anyone for that matter, to know about this, but it looks like the wireless companies have made a HUGE mistake
and they've literally opened up their private ???gold mine" to their own custome
... See more
Here is the message I received. I did not click on any links in the message. God knows what can happen.

Listen, you won't believe this, but it's true, and the wireless phone companies DO NOT want you, or anyone for that matter, to know about this, but it looks like the wireless companies have made a HUGE mistake
and they've literally opened up their private ???gold mine" to their own customers!

Press here to see what the wireless companies DO NOT want us to know

No knows how long this is going to last so if I were you I'd get in on this right now!

These greedy, rich wireless companies must be KICKING themselves for this!

You could probably make a profit if you follow the directions???

Press here to see what we are talking about

--

To opt out please follow this link: http://cantopend.com/tr.php?87117%[email protected] or write to:
PO BOX 1823 750 Florida St, Baton Rouge, LA. 70821

--
If you wish to be excluded from our future mailings, please click here here and enter your email address ([email protected])
or write us at

4012 S.Rainbow Blvd., Ste, K-605
Las Vegas, NV 89103

[Edited at 2010-03-05 21:53 GMT]
Collapse

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Anti-Scam Operation Mar 5, 2010

Please see this anti-scam operation :

http://419eater.com/html/okorie.htm

Brian Young
Brian Young  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:16
Danish to English
have a heart Mar 5, 2010

What's wrong with you guys? Don't you want to help motherless babies and helpless disabled people? This guy is really nice, he just wants to share this wealth, and it sounds like the opportunity of a lifetime! No more of this translation at $0.02/word for me.
I'm already dreaming of that beach in the Caribbean. I'll be thinking of you suckers pounding away at your keyboards. It's been nice knowing you!

Aleksandar Gasic
Aleksandar Gasic
Montenegro
English to Serbo-Croat
+ ...
old but still lucrative Mar 5, 2010

Old scheme it is, but it is surprising to see how many people still lose their money over this. After all, if it were not the case, this type of scam would be long-time forgotten by now...

RichardDeegan
RichardDeegan
Local time: 18:16
Spanish to English
Nice job, Brian Mar 5, 2010

Do one job and take off:
BP 0.02 per word, but due to urgency they'll pay "TOTAL: 262812.50 GBP" for 3,625 words.
Don't need too many like that to head for the beach for the rest of the year.
Almost worth waiting the 40-60 days.

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 20:16
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Got another scam yesterday Mar 6, 2010

I received another one yesterday - no mention of babies or charity this time but interestingly a telephone number was included. Even more interestingly, the sum of money changed and also the means of death (a bomb this time, not a plane crash)

"I NEED YOUR HELP WITH TRUST,
Please read carefully,

This message might meet you in utmost surprise. However, it's just my urgent need for foreign partner that made me to contact you for this transaction.
... See more
I received another one yesterday - no mention of babies or charity this time but interestingly a telephone number was included. Even more interestingly, the sum of money changed and also the means of death (a bomb this time, not a plane crash)

Please read carefully,

This message might meet you in utmost surprise. However, it's just my urgent need for foreign partner that made me to contact you for this transaction. I got your contact from yahoo tourist search while I was searching for a foreign partner. I am assured of your capability and reliability to champion this business opportunity when I prayed about you.

I am a banker by profession in Burkina-Faso, West Africa and currently
holding the post of manager in account and auditing department in our bank. I have the opportunity of transferring the left over funds (XXX Million Dollars) belonging to our deceased customer who died along with his entire family in a bomb attack.

Hence; I am inviting you for a business deal where this money can be shared between us in the ratio of 60/40 if you agree to my business proposal. Further details of the transfer will be forwarded to you as soon as I receive your return mail as soon as you receive this letter.

Please indicate your willingness by sending the below information for more clarification and easy communication.
For more details, Contact me for more details.

(1) YOUR FULL NAME...............................
(2) YOUR AGE AND SEX............................
(3) YOUR CONTACT ADDRESS..................
(4) YOUR PRIVATE PHONE N0..........
(5) FAX NUMBER..............
(6) YOUR COUNTRY OF ORIGIN..................
(7) YOUR OCCUPATION.........................

Trusting to hear from you immediately.
Thanks & Best Regards,
XXX
E-Mail: [email protected]
Phone Number: 00226 xx xx xx xx"

As this is the second one I received within 3 days, I would like to know if there is any way I can block them.
Collapse

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 08:16
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Come on, Paul! Mar 6, 2010

Paul Dixon wrote:

Please read carefully,

This message might meet you in utmost surprise. However, it's just my urgent need for foreign partner that made me to contact you for this transaction. I got your contact from yahoo tourist search while I was searching for a foreign partner. I am assured of your capability and reliability to champion this business opportunity when I prayed about you.

I am a banker by profession in Burkina-Faso, West Africa and currently
holding the post of manager in account and auditing department in our bank. I have the opportunity of transferring the left over funds (XXX Million Dollars) belonging to our deceased customer who died along with his entire family in a bomb attack.

Hence; I am inviting you for a business deal where this money can be shared between us in the ratio of 60/40 if you agree to my business proposal. Further details of the transfer will be forwarded to you as soon as I receive your return mail as soon as you receive this letter.

Please indicate your willingness by sending the below information for more clarification and easy communication.
For more details, Contact me for more details.

(1) YOUR FULL NAME...............................
(2) YOUR AGE AND SEX............................
(3) YOUR CONTACT ADDRESS..................
(4) YOUR PRIVATE PHONE N0..........
(5) FAX NUMBER..............
(6) YOUR COUNTRY OF ORIGIN..................
(7) YOUR OCCUPATION.........................

Trusting to hear from you immediately.
Thanks & Best Regards,
XXX
E-Mail: [email protected]
Phone Number: 00226 xx xx xx xx"

As this is the second one I received within 3 days, I would like to know if there is any way I can block them.

This guy really needs your help. He wrote to you twice in three days time, right? Why don't you be a man and help this poor guy out? And there's a reward buck of 40% for you.
Go grab that money! Opportunity knocks but once! (and by the way, this is today's poll on Proz)

amanda55
amanda55
English to Finnish
+ ...
Unbelievably gullible folk Mar 6, 2010

I was in stiches reading about these scams. I was sent one the other year, I have still kept the letter as it is so hilarious. It was supposed to have come from Africa but the postmark was in the UK, ha haa! Basically it read that my long-lost relative Alfred Smith-Jones (assumed name) had died in China, leaving all his money to me and all this person, executor of the will, wanted my bank details. The fact that I have a double-barrelled Finnish-English name that is the only one in the world,... See more
I was in stiches reading about these scams. I was sent one the other year, I have still kept the letter as it is so hilarious. It was supposed to have come from Africa but the postmark was in the UK, ha haa! Basically it read that my long-lost relative Alfred Smith-Jones (assumed name) had died in China, leaving all his money to me and all this person, executor of the will, wanted my bank details. The fact that I have a double-barrelled Finnish-English name that is the only one in the world, didn't occur to these people.

Hubby was subject to another one. He advertised his car for sale in the local rag. All he got was scam emails wanting to buy it. The way they operated was so clumsy. They all said that they used Western Union cheques but they could only buy them in $10 000 units. The car was worth abt. £6000 so what they wanted was for him to deposit the difference in their bank account. The funniest was an Indian guy who said "I will buy your Saab bike unseen".... and the rest was the same, deposit the difference in my bank account. The fact was, he was selling a car, not a bike.
Collapse

Brian Young
Brian Young  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:16
Danish to English
meny hungree babees Mar 7, 2010

deer nise peepole hue ahr trrahnslaters
i have meny hungree babees an owld peepohl. i hav tenn milyohn dolars in thu baenk in nygeeriuh but i need yore halp. pleeze sehnd mee yore muney sou i kan saev thu pour babees. then i wihl sen thu muney bak in doble amont nex wek
thaenk yue

heikeb
heikeb  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Don't trust those mails... Mar 7, 2010

...unless they come with the seal of approval from the FBI.

The FBI assured me today (twice) that they had checked everything and that it would be safe for me to send $500 in processing fees to this guy in Nigeria who wanted to give me $80,000.

I never would have thought that the FBI have a local agent stationed in Nigeria, whose main task it apparently is to look out for the safety and security of the US of A from that side of the world.

Oh yeah, and then
... See more
...unless they come with the seal of approval from the FBI.

The FBI assured me today (twice) that they had checked everything and that it would be safe for me to send $500 in processing fees to this guy in Nigeria who wanted to give me $80,000.

I never would have thought that the FBI have a local agent stationed in Nigeria, whose main task it apparently is to look out for the safety and security of the US of A from that side of the world.

Oh yeah, and then there was this guy who swore me to secrecy as the shipment I was about to receive with some stuff actually contained (illegal) money and I shouldn't even tell the mailman about its contents so that he wouldn't be tempted to steal it.

But after the two offers delivered through the FBI, why would I ever consider doing some illegal business with this other chap in Nigeria? With no official seal, no FBI agent speaking up on his behalf... Why should I trust him?

I'll just have to finish a couple more translation jobs at $0.02/word to save up for the $500 to send to Nigeria - and then I'll be rich, you just wait and see!

Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New Scam

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »