Facebook likely to add "translate" button to its pages

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "Facebook likely to add "translate" button to its pages".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Ikram Mahyuddin
Ikram Mahyuddin  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 09:58
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Interesting news Sep 6, 2011

That's my comment as a translator and a facebooker at the same time. I would like to know other fellow translators' comments on this.

Neil Coffey
Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:58
French to English
+ ...
Sounds fair enough... Sep 6, 2011

Something like Facebook comments is more like the kind of thing that Machine Translation is intended for: content where:

(a) it is realistically too dynamic for human translation to be practical;
(b) Nothing Bad Will Happen when translation mistakes occur, or the risks/consequences of translation mistakes are reasonable enough to accept (though look out for a future edition of Jerry Springer where somebody is suing somebody for thinking they were sleeping with their brother wh
... See more
Something like Facebook comments is more like the kind of thing that Machine Translation is intended for: content where:

(a) it is realistically too dynamic for human translation to be practical;
(b) Nothing Bad Will Happen when translation mistakes occur, or the risks/consequences of translation mistakes are reasonable enough to accept (though look out for a future edition of Jerry Springer where somebody is suing somebody for thinking they were sleeping with their brother when it was actually their brother-in-law/stepsister/pet chimpanzee);
(c) if the free feature didn't exist, nobody would care enough to pay for a translation.
Collapse

ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 05:58
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
Good News Sep 6, 2011

The more people use machine translation, the more they will get to knows the ins and outs of it.

Dave Bindon
Dave Bindon  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 05:58
Greek to English
In memoriam
It's up and running already Sep 6, 2011

The 'translate' link already appears next to comments on Greek pages. Since most of the comments are in very idiomatic language, the translation results are quite comical.

Ikram Mahyuddin
Ikram Mahyuddin  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 09:58
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Thank you for comments Sep 8, 2011

Neil Coffey, Atil Kayhan, and Dave Bindon, thank you for your comments.

Andreas Morgenstern
Andreas Morgenstern  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:58
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Now this will cause a lot of confusion Sep 8, 2011

Some of my friends are using Google Translate to translate my conversations in other languages.

Mostly, it ends up like this:
Friend "Huh, you are going to Memphis with X?"
Me "No, I am going to pick X up at her office"

I don't think machine translation will help anyone.

Power Translate
Power Translate  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:58
English to German
+ ...
Just encourage users to speak English Sep 9, 2011

I usually just encourage people to comment in English on my fan pages which makes sense since the people they are about are American and my business fan page is definitely about German and English, it's no problem. If someone does comment in a language I don't speak, I try to get a machine translation to get the gist and then comment with the content of what it says.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Facebook likely to add "translate" button to its pages

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »