Duolingo gets users to translate Buzzfeed articles

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "Duolingo gets users to translate Buzzfeed articles".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

John Marston
John Marston  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:50
Member (2012)
French to English
+ ...
crowdsourcing Mar 4, 2014

I don't know much about the usefulness of crowdsourcing, but it definitely seems to fly in the face of professional translation standards. While Duolingo is a fairly interesting language-learning tool, as a commercial source of translation it looks really lazy. I don't see the comparison with Wikipedia, either, since that's monitored by experts and you can cite sources and so forth.

What do others think of this?

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Crowdsourced translation is an illusion Mar 4, 2014

They may think they are getting a translation, but what they are getting is text that only looks like a translation on the surface. Check out this great article on the topic by Miguel Llorens:

http://traductor-financiero.blogspot.com/2012/08/what-is-professional-translation.html

[Edited at 2014-03-04 20:36 GMT]

Little Woods
Little Woods  Identity Verified
Vietnam
English to Vietnamese
In my opinion, the idea is totally wrong to begin with Mar 6, 2014

The article stated that the translations are done by their users cum students who are learning a language. If it were me, who still in their right mind, I wouldn't want the translation done by someone still learning a language and may be still a beginner. Translating is not an easy career with continuing education and learning, upgrading class and many things to back it. In my country, such crowsourced translation like this is mostly done by google. The user just paste and copy it from GG transl... See more
The article stated that the translations are done by their users cum students who are learning a language. If it were me, who still in their right mind, I wouldn't want the translation done by someone still learning a language and may be still a beginner. Translating is not an easy career with continuing education and learning, upgrading class and many things to back it. In my country, such crowsourced translation like this is mostly done by google. The user just paste and copy it from GG translate since they dont have much time to do it by hands and by their brains.

[Edited at 2014-03-06 02:06 GMT]
Collapse

Kate Deimling
Kate Deimling
United States
French to English
+ ...
Bad idea, but even worse website Mar 11, 2014

Little Woods wrote:

I wouldn't want the translation done by someone still learning a language and may be still a beginner.

Little Woods, I totally agree with you (and with the skepticism of other commenters), and I took a look at the French Buzzfeed to see what it was like. Basically Buzzfeed is so short on content that the translations matter less than you would think. But this attempt to attract a French-speaking market is full of other pitfalls (I can't speak to the other languages, but I imagine the approach is similar). You can read more at katedeimling.com.

[Edited at 2014-03-11 14:06 GMT]

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:50
Serbian to English
+ ...
Exceptions do exist Mar 11, 2014

"I wouldn't want the translation done by someone still learning a language and may be still a beginner."

As a general rule, I would surely agree.

But I remember right now of one case where it was EXACTLY the opposite.

Number of years ago there was a in Serbia a couple monopolising almost all film subtitling - apparently these two were experts in about 10 languages at least.

What I could spot for sure was that their translations from French were
... See more
"I wouldn't want the translation done by someone still learning a language and may be still a beginner."

As a general rule, I would surely agree.

But I remember right now of one case where it was EXACTLY the opposite.

Number of years ago there was a in Serbia a couple monopolising almost all film subtitling - apparently these two were experts in about 10 languages at least.

What I could spot for sure was that their translations from French were utter rubbish - they were totally lost when translating argot or anything that requires more than some beginner's French-Serbian dictionary.

And then one day, a miracle happened! I was watching a French movie without being irritated by rubbish subtitles. So, for a change at the end the movie I watched the credits rolling, curious to learn who translated the subtitles.

I turned out to be the collective work of a group of secondary school kids!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Duolingo gets users to translate Buzzfeed articles

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »