Inside DeepL: How the startup is rivalling machine translation giants
Thread poster: philgoddard
philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
Jan 24

http://thenextweb.com/news/inside-deepl-how-the-startup-is-rivalling-machine-translation-giants

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Michele Fauble
Hans Lenting
Zea_Mays
Tom in London

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 13:11
Spanish to English
+ ...
It works Jan 26

I tried Deepl out and it does quite a good job on the kind of texts I usually have to translate. The licence is also relatively affordable.
What I'd like to know however, is at what point does MT (machine translation) software become AI (artificial intelligence)?

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
AI Jan 26

AI is just the technology behind a tool and supposedly emulates human intelligence (as far as I understand it, it just does complex probability calculations - given "A", it calculates what most likely will follow "A").
So ChatGPT is not AI, it is an AI powered generative and dialog oriented chatbot. DeepL is an AI powered MT tool.

[Bearbeitet am 2024-01-26 14:18 GMT]

Jorge Payan
Stepan Konev

Peter Motte
Peter Motte  Identity Verified
Belgium
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
- Jan 27

Actually, there isn't a lot of intelligence in AI, because it uses statistics.
If in the texts with which AI is fed to be trained, "black" appears often in the neighbourhood of "stupid", AI will generate texts in which it calls blacks stupid.
And as a matter of fact, things like that often happen. It's one of the reasons that the plug had been pulled on an AI tool on Twitter once.
AI has nothing to do with intelligence, it only looks intelligent.
ChatGPT is astonishing b
... See more
Actually, there isn't a lot of intelligence in AI, because it uses statistics.
If in the texts with which AI is fed to be trained, "black" appears often in the neighbourhood of "stupid", AI will generate texts in which it calls blacks stupid.
And as a matter of fact, things like that often happen. It's one of the reasons that the plug had been pulled on an AI tool on Twitter once.
AI has nothing to do with intelligence, it only looks intelligent.
ChatGPT is astonishing because of the speed with which it produces grammatical, orthographically and structurarely flawless text, but there is no actuall intelligence behind it.
Collapse

Zea_Mays
Daniel Fernandes
Elaine Ruby

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
French to English
+ ...
Is it really as good as claimed? I don't think so Jan 27

I can't shake a suspicion that the claims of DeepL being by far the best MT engine are merely a well-organised PR campaign. Or maybe it really is better, but only for relatively simple texts like news articles. Last year, I compared DeepL and Google Translation on a couple of texts. One was a multilateral property acquisition and financing agreement, the other was a requirement specification for electronic hardware. I took a few excerpts from each and sanitised them to remove identifying informa... See more
I can't shake a suspicion that the claims of DeepL being by far the best MT engine are merely a well-organised PR campaign. Or maybe it really is better, but only for relatively simple texts like news articles. Last year, I compared DeepL and Google Translation on a couple of texts. One was a multilateral property acquisition and financing agreement, the other was a requirement specification for electronic hardware. I took a few excerpts from each and sanitised them to remove identifying information but keep the phrase structure unchanged. Both MT engines failed to save my working time compared to unassisted translation, but DeepL was noticeably worse: the output flowed smoother, but many small yet meaningful fragments of the source text were silently omitted or badly distorted in the translation. One frequent type of error was the topic/comment swap, fixing which obviously requires the entire sentence to be rewritten. Even with the recent advances in MT, in my market segment (quality-conscious clients willing to pay high prices), none of the general-purpose MT engines seems to cut the mustard, and the only custom engine I know that produces a workable output is not a pure MT but a hybrid of MT with a large TM compiled by a big agency.Collapse

Inge Schumacher
Daniel Fernandes
Elaine Ruby

Arne Krueger
Arne Krueger
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Yesterday... Jan 27

...in a 2023 Mercedes car.

Issue: Rear door locked itself.

Using AI-powered info system...

"Hey Mercedes, how can I unlock the rear door?"

"You can adjust your door mirrors by using the comfort button on your dashboard."

After my fourth attempt, I gave up and climbed out of the other passenger door...

Inge Schumacher
Daniel Fernandes

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Inside DeepL: How the startup is rivalling machine translation giants

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »